IGNORED

Console Personalization

scifidude79

Anyone like to personalize their consoles? Funnily enough, even though I've been gaming for about 40 years, I never got into it until the current gen consoles. Though, the Series S looks like a One S (which I also have) that went to Weight Watchers, so maybe that was what started it. Sheer boredom with how it looked. For the Series S, I went with a vinyl skin set that I bought off of Ebay:

20231208_110801.thumb.jpg.90a31891f3dae4e7726aabff99a88af4.jpg20231208_110830.thumb.jpg.7f30580bcfd661d3f40b0fae189a632f.jpg

The vinyls were a bit of a pain to align, and they even hang off slightly, so I didn't even bother with the ones for the controller. Besides, I didn't know how they would wear on the controller.

For the PS5, I went with just buying replacement plates, since that's an option. As most PS5 owners know, taking off the side panels and putting them back on is a snap. I wasn't into controller modding (yet) so I went with white to match my controller. I bought some pretty cool "textured" plates off of Amazon:

20231208_110719.thumb.jpg.148ee25f8777ca6a442a91e14d0743db.jpg20231208_110731.thumb.jpg.cf33ac07991799e85ebf35879b817129.jpg

Sometime later, I got into controller modding. These were a bit more complex, since you literally have to take apart your controllers to re-shell them and change the buttons. But, the company that makes these has step-by-step instructional videos on YouTube. Here are the ones I modded:

20231208_110941.thumb.jpg.ff6701a999a7fdaa493dca75f5f94844.jpg

The green XBOX controller was a black one that I bought. The red one is the one that came with my Series S. Since it had white buttons for the center set of buttons, I used the black ones that I took off of the green controller. And the black and mint green PS5 controller was originally a woodland camouflage controller that I bought specifically for modding. This stuff isn't cheap, the shell parts, sticks and buttons for the PS5 controller cost me about as much as the controller did. That controller wasn't compatible with the shoulder buttons and triggers I could get, so I just kept the black ones on there and incorporated black into the color scheme. Luckily, I've been playing Playstation since the days of the PS1, so not having labels on the buttons isn't a problem. I haven't modded the white controller that came with the PS5 yet.

Anybody else like to do this stuff? If you feel like sharing pics of your mods, please feel free to share them here. I'd love to see what mods other people have done to personalize their consoles. I started this in the "Modern Gaming Discussion" area rather than any system specific forums, since it covers multiple systems, so feel free to drop in any and all mods you've done to more recent gaming hardware. 😎

• Like 2

I love the red blood splatters on white, looks really good.

I love personalising my consoles, I always like to have the controllers match too.

So far this is all I've modded.

SAM_6872.thumb.JPG.81c09569ac33f075857aad5a6097ffbf.JPG

The PS2 is a first ever model Japanese one, it has a PC card slot on the back rather than the expansion bay which is quite interesting. The shell is a very rare 3rd party one from Venezuela from the early 2000's. I still have the box too.

SAM_6889.thumb.JPG.210a8d4c4f9a82efd7ba5349c9c5793a.JPG

ps2shellbox.thumb.jpg.9ff5e3b3c994450a6071129c1211b428.jpg

This is the PS3, took me ages to decide where to put the Playstation logo sticker. The buttons on the controller are made from real bullets I think.

SAM_6882.thumb.JPG.b98cad966bc55d1878461c59302361cc.JPG

I've got some more stuff for future mods that I've not got around to doing, like shells and decals, I'll put up some pics of them later.

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 1

These are all beautiful consoles!

I’ve always been a “keep’em stock” kinda’ guy. Not only consoles, but cars too. As much as I can really appreciate hot rods and really customized cars, I just naturally gravitate towards perfect restorations back to original. 

That all being said, I do find myself starting to change a bit. I picked up the recently released Xbox Series X Starfield wrap and absolutely love it. So had to get the matching Starfield controller. Then had to get the Starfield Controller stand from Rose Colored Gaming LOL

I’m actually in the middle of doing a full-on custom GameCube. I had a parts unit that was in really rough shape. Didn’t even warrant trying to restore. I’ll have to share pics when I get it done, though after spending a lot of time on it I’ve put it down during the holidays. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ross PK said:

I love the red blood splatters on white, looks really good.

I love personalising my consoles, I always like to have the controllers match too.

So far this is all I've modded.

SAM_6872.thumb.JPG.81c09569ac33f075857aad5a6097ffbf.JPG

The PS2 is a first ever model Japanese one, it has a PC card slot on the back rather than the expansion bay which is quite interesting. The shell is a very rare 3rd party one from Venezuela from the early 2000's. I still have the box too.

SAM_6889.thumb.JPG.210a8d4c4f9a82efd7ba5349c9c5793a.JPG

ps2shellbox.thumb.jpg.9ff5e3b3c994450a6071129c1211b428.jpg

This is the PS3, took me ages to decide where to put the Playstation logo sticker. The buttons on the controller are made from real bullets I think.

SAM_6882.thumb.JPG.b98cad966bc55d1878461c59302361cc.JPG

I've got some more stuff for future mods that I've not got around to doing, like shells and decals, I'll put up some pics of them later.

Nice! I love that transparent blue shell for the PS2 and controller. I haven't even seen an original PS2 in years. I had to replace mine ages ago with a slim one. The wood grain looks great on the PS3 too. I'm getting Atari vibes with that look. I never had a PS3, I had limited money during that console generation and I got a good deal on a refurbished XBOX 360, so that was my console from that generation. Thanks for sharing both of those, they look great. 😁

4 hours ago, Metal Ghost said:

These are all beautiful consoles!

I’ve always been a “keep’em stock” kinda’ guy. Not only consoles, but cars too. As much as I can really appreciate hot rods and really customized cars, I just naturally gravitate towards perfect restorations back to original. 

That all being said, I do find myself starting to change a bit. I picked up the recently released Xbox Series X Starfield wrap and absolutely love it. So had to get the matching Starfield controller. Then had to get the Starfield Controller stand from Rose Colored Gaming LOL

I’m actually in the middle of doing a full-on custom GameCube. I had a parts unit that was in really rough shape. Didn’t even warrant trying to restore. I’ll have to share pics when I get it done, though after spending a lot of time on it I’ve put it down during the holidays. 

Yeah, I was always a "keep 'em stock" guy with consoles too, until this generation. I just got bitten by the customization bug a few months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing that Gemecube, whenever you get it done.

• Like 1

I got around to modding the DualSense 5 that came with my PS5.

20231210_203540.thumb.jpg.711cbd0fc6f01b98dd456d82391ce970.jpg20231210_203617.thumb.jpg.1a1fd4e33eed50a79fce4f041904f849.jpg

I decided I wanted to keep some white on the controller, since the console is still white. And blue is my favorite color, so I decided to go blue. I was going to get a chrome blue "strap" piece (the black part on the front on the original controller) and matching sticks, but the blues didn't match. The sticks are significantly lighter than the strap. 🙄So, I decided to go translucent blue. With the translucent blue, I decided to change the strap, sticks and back piece. The back piece was $17.99, the strap was $13.99 and the sticks were $9.99, for a grand total of $41.97. However, an entire kit with everything you need to completely change the shell, buttons, sticks and triggers was only $26.99. So, I got that. The company I buy these from is called eXtremeRate.

20231210_192146.thumb.jpg.1aba02cdfb12bbfddd0d13bc215e6689.jpg

They've upped their box game, you used to get these things in a brown box with their name on it.

20231210_192244.thumb.jpg.6995125e7ac3600c1255765ace97632b.jpg

And here's everything you get in the kit. It's a handy little package.

To do the mod, they have a YouTube channel with instructional videos. Since I got the whole kit, I was going to change the strap, back piece, sticks, all buttons and the triggers. However, once again, I have a controller that's not compatible with the L1/R1 buttons and the triggers. There are at least 3 different versions of the DualSense 5, and I somehow keep managing to get ones that don't work with those. (XBOX Series controllers aren't that complex) So, I skipped those and just changed everything else.

20231210_193745.thumb.jpg.1f8547042834dbaf67f448945dcfa21a.jpg

Here's what the DualSense looks like all taken apart, for those who are wondering.

What am I going to mod next? I don't know. I would do my Switch, but the order page for the parts says it's recommended that anyone wanting to do that mod have a moderate electronics installation experience. I'm not sure my skills are up to the task, and I don't want to mess up my Switch. Maybe I'll do my Switch Pro controller to look like a SNES controller. That would be fun.

https://www.amazon.com/eXtremeRate-Faceplate-Backplate-Replacement-Controller/dp/B08NPWV2NN?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

• Like 1