IGNORED

Discussion

Mikey50

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

I was hoping to find one here tbh @Mikey50

@hcmffm if there is enough interest, a monthly game with a points reward for position achieved to go in an overall leaderboard maybe? It's inspiration to play more, and games we may not have put much time into

From my point of view there is a big Vectrex community around (Facebook group "Vectrex Fans Unite!) but when it comes to the active part (e.g. playing) I have the impression that there is not so much interest. Though, introducing a monthly competition with just one game might be worth a try. Would be interesting to know whether there is such a monthly game for other consoles and whether that worked or works out.

2 hours ago, hcmffm said:

From my point of view there is a big Vectrex community around (Facebook group "Vectrex Fans Unite!) but when it comes to the active part (e.g. playing) I have the impression that there is not so much interest. Though, introducing a monthly competition with just one game might be worth a try. Would be interesting to know whether there is such a monthly game for other consoles and whether that worked or works out.

I've joined that fb group, but I think my post is still waiting approval.

The community does seem to be collection focused, which is fair there are some cool rare items and homebrews to collect, but mines new to me and set up in the kitchen where it will get played.

Like I say, the other sub forums in here seem to have high score clubs and I'd be happy to help get one going.

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I would like to join a high score club but somebody would have to run it. I am overcommitted on the high score club front.

I'd be happy to help with the admin and such. Are the clubs you run on here? Mind if I steal the format?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

I'd be happy to help with the admin and such. Are the clubs you run on here? Mind if I steal the format?

I run the Lynx one, which is about to start a new season. I am going to be changing up the format somewhat.

31 minutes ago, Mikey50 said:

Unfortunately I cant run it but can assist someone if needed I would not know where to start but seems like we have interest. CurlyBard can you do it?

I don't mind at all no, awesome.  

I'm new vectrex and currently spamming the oz post tracker, and I've only got access to 3 games until that parcel arrives.

Was thinking a month long contest, random game selected from the official releases and freely available homebrews, so anybody can join in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

I don't mind at all no, awesome.  

I'm new vectrex and currently spamming the oz post tracker, and I've only got access to 3 games until that parcel arrives.

Was thinking a month long contest, random game selected from the official releases and freely available homebrews, so anybody can join in.

What 3 games do you have? How are you liking them?

• Like 1

Wow, quite some discussion going on. Good to see that this idea may become reality.

Make sure to be clear about the hardware/software used when playing:

- Only original console or emulator also?

- Only original controllers or any controller?

- One controller or multiple different controllers?

- Autofire dongles? Autofire?

- Allowed to use cheats (e.g. in Armor Attack) or not?

- Which software version (MB and/or GCE version)? Bug fixed version (e.g. Berzerk)?

Peeking into the rules of the Vector War might be helpful. And be aware that some highscore sites like http://www.vectrex.co.uk accept scores achieved on original hardware, only.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Madwindoman said:

What 3 games do you have? How are you liking them?

Mine Field, Solar Quest and Scramble, enjoying them all tbh.

While I've found the overall ergonomics of the controller fine for my hands, why is btn 4 the default fire button? I'm gonna end up with a very muscular pinkie on my right hand lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcmffm said:

Wow, quite some discussion going on. Good to see that this idea may become reality.

Make sure to be clear about the hardware/software used when playing:

- Only original console or emulator also?

- Only original controllers or any controller?

- One controller or multiple different controllers?

- Autofire dongles? Autofire?

- Allowed to use cheats (e.g. in Armor Attack) or not?

- Which software version (MB and/or GCE version)? Bug fixed version (e.g. Berzerk)?

Peeking into the rules of the Vector War might be helpful. And be aware that some highscore sites like http://www.vectrex.co.uk accept scores achieved on original hardware, only.

All great questions!

My first thoughts are to leave it open to emulators and whatever controller the user likes in order to get more participants, but I'm open to suggestions as autofire/save states are going to be a big advantage. 

I was thinking of just jumping in with Mine Field, but learnt of the multiple versions and the issues that will cause.

Is it safe to assume that everyone has somesort of flashcard or sd solution? That would eleaviate the Mine Field problem, I'm not sure if Berserk Debugged is downloadable or not. If it's freely available I think we should use it, I don't want to leave people out or encourage them to steal a copy.

• Like 1

Original games and homebrew

MineStorm, Scramble, and Solar Quest are really good titles. As you might know, the yearly Vector War is organized by me. So I'd say I have some experience regarding competition and questions regarding hardware and software. In the Vector War, both original titles and homebrew is played. I'd say 95% of the players in the Vector War own a flashable cartridge and thus can play any binary. But Vector War players are much of enthusiasts and I guess you cannot assume that everyone owns a flashable cartridge.

Perhaps you have to categories which take place in parallel or sequential: One competition/category/scoring with original titles, only, and one competition/category/scoring with homebrew, only, or both original games plus homebrew games. Including/excluding limited/commercial homebrew like Vyrzon, Crush of Lucifer, and many more is another question. All in all you have to make assumptions. Setting requirements low allows for a large number of players but much limits the spectrum of games. Higher requirements (flashable cartridge) will exclude occassional players and Vectrex fans but I'd say if a player is really interested he/she purchases a flashable cartridge.

Emulation

A word on software emulators and PiTrex: From my point of view you should exclude software emulators and PiTrex for several reasons: Games are not 100% identical (e.g. speed) plus often you even have the possibility to stop a game and or make it slower or faster. From what I've learnt recently, this even applies for games played on PiTrex but you may check.

Score submission

Last-not-least you have to clarify how highscores are submitted and proofed. In Vector War we use screenshots for that but some games give you a hard to take a screenshot and there is room for cheating. BTW, there is always room for cheating e.g. by modifying binaries or screenshots so I'd rather count on the fairness of the players (this is what I do in the Vector War). Some people may laugh about this - but as said before there is always room for cheating and video proof including display of original hardware and person (in order to proof that not several people play under the same name) would be a real overkill. FAIK, Twin Galaxies does such things but I think this not what you should go for in a Vectrex highscore club.

Fun playing and comparing or tough competition?

All in all it much depends on what you want and what you focus on in the Vectrex Highscore club:

A fun competition with as many players as possible or a competition with really comparable results which might be even considered as world records (because they are played on original and thus comparable hardware and conditions). Personally, I'd go for a (more or less) fun competition with few rules regarding software and hardware, only. That's just my 2 cents - looking at other highscore clubs (e.g. organized by Mikey50) and sharing experience is a good idea.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:20 AM, TheCurlyBard said:

Mine Field, Solar Quest and Scramble, enjoying them all tbh.

While I've found the overall ergonomics of the controller fine for my hands, why is btn 4 the default fire button? I'm gonna end up with a very muscular pinkie on my right hand lol

Awesome man!! I’ve had my Vectrex for a little over a year. I play it way more than I thought I would. I don’t have a flash cart. Just a handful of games and a couple homebrews. My favs are armour attack  star castle and vector pilot

• Like 1

In the meantime I had a look at the Lynx High Score Club pages here in the forum. In those examples of working and alive highscore clubs you can find a lot of info that will help to setup a VECTREX High Score Club: Rules, initial posts/phase where people had decided on a game, and so on. And with @Mikey50 and @jgkspsx there are at least two persons who can give advice for setting up a new club, @TheCurlyBard. E.g. I guess the organisator of a High Score Club has to be able to edit his/her forum posts (e.g. for editing rules or high score tables) even a longer time after initial posting.

BTW, syncing the choice of Vectrex game for month of November with the game list of the Vector War might be a good idea: People play once and can score for both the Vector War and the Vectrex High Score Club.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:45 AM, hcmffm said:

A word on software emulators and PiTrex: From my point of view you should exclude software emulators and PiTrex for several reasons: Games are not 100% identical (e.g. speed) plus often you even have the possibility to stop a game and or make it slower or faster. From what I've learnt recently, this even applies for games played on PiTrex but you may check.

If you exclude emulation including PiTrex we should not do a score club. No other score club here excludes emulation. The Vectrex community is unusually stuck-up and exclusionary in that regard, but I suppose that comes from the fact many people love the hardware more than they do the games.

• Like 1

Including emulation may be something that differentiates a Vectrex High Score Club from the Vector Wars. It makes it more open and the fact that it seems to be for fun and bragging rights rather than any tangible prize also works well with this idea. 

I'd like to see more competitions in the Vectrex scene at any rate and the fact that it spans more than a week will allow some players to participate that would otherwise be busy during the singular week of Vector War. 

• Thanks 1

I've been playing with my pitrex, and while it's quite involved it probably is possible to slow games down. It's quite easy to abuse save states though, even on the beginner bare metal version. 

I'm still tempted to leave the rules relatively open though, if people really are gunning for world records then they can observe the TG rules to submit it there as well.

I like the idea of occasional homebrew month, no point having them if we don't play them is there

• Like 1