IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

8 hours ago, KainXavier said:

It's been ages since I've last read through or posted on this thread so I thought I'd change at least one of those facts. :)

GameHaul_07082024.thumb.jpg.1852d19e4ce0f59accc58402c20c9f4f.jpg

I picked up Wizard of Wor and Spider Fighter yesterday.  Wizard of War is in immaculate condition.  I'm honestly wondering if the shop I bought it from put a new label on it.  (They make custom cases for their games so I wouldn't be surprised.)  That said, I'm okay either way.

Of the two, Spider Fighter is definitely my favorite.  It looks ridiculously good on the 2600+, and it's an absolute blast to play.

Both great games but I agree Spider fighter is brill,fast,frantic action and its one of the few games I can play without dying for more than 2 minutes😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Just a thought, I wonder if a db9 y connector in the second port would work? The speech in Juno First is excellent! There is a db9 y splitter cable, I have one that I use on my colecovision. If I choose to use an Atari controller I plug it and the colecovision controller in together so I can use the game select number pad.

Well, I thought about to try it but I expected a conflict!

The elders of Atariage discussed it before:

Don't see that changed and it explains why a support of Atarivox on the 2600+ might not be so easy, on the other hand it is a serial bus...

Does anybody know if T:me Salvo uses some tricks to multiplex 2nd joystick with Atarivox and if the 2600+ could use the USB/9Pol port to send data to the Atarivox?

As Dungeon Stalker talks too, that would be great...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Just a thought, I wonder if a db9 y connector in the second port would work? The speech in Juno First is excellent! There is a db9 y splitter cable, I have one that I use on my colecovision. If I choose to use an Atari controller I plug it and the colecovision controller in together so I can use the game select number pad.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying, but I tried to do something similar with my Quadtari, and it was a no go.  Based on what (little) I know, outputting sound to the AtariVox and reading joystick input cannot be done at the same time.  You have to switch between the two in code, and this is not something you'd normally do unless you were specifically supporting a device like the Quadtari.  (T:ME Salvo also kind of pre-dates the Quadtari.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 8:32 PM, MrChickenz said:

I Recently picked up Carnival. This is a pretty cool game. Don’t run out of bullets or it’s game over!

I’m using cartridge sleeves, TheRingBearer designed. These are amazing! Makes my collection look much better.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/368417-cartridge-sleeves/

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

IMG_1075.jpeg

Carnival is great! I just bought a CIB copy. Underrated game.

• Like 1

I recently received these controller holders from Bitter Kitten Gaming (on Etsy, based in U.S.). They help with the cord management and give a nice cozy spot for the controllers to live and be out of the way when not in use.  The link is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1254104175/atari-joystick-wall-mountdisplay?click_key=09cc7848eac25bba239db82bf4668f1c400b2016%3A1254104175&click_sum=10504eb0&ref=hp_rf-1&sts=1

IMG_9273.thumb.jpeg.73e6661e804472d54a2d2f0b510d8a55.jpegIMG_9274.thumb.jpeg.bf5ce75b58b84fa6da1c3b2fc9330ec9.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lucy willis said:

My current list..

10 in 1 (obviously)

Klax

Demon attack 

Nexar

Popeye 

Spiderman 

A nice start to a collection. 🤟🏻

Lots of great games have been mentioned on here so you won't be short of a recommendation. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 2:43 PM, Bitsized said:

I recently received these controller holders from Bitter Kitten Gaming (on Etsy, based in U.S.). They help with the cord management and give a nice cozy spot for the controllers to live and be out of the way when not in use.  The link is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1254104175/atari-joystick-wall-mountdisplay?click_key=09cc7848eac25bba239db82bf4668f1c400b2016%3A1254104175&click_sum=10504eb0&ref=hp_rf-1&sts=1

IMG_9273.thumb.jpeg.73e6661e804472d54a2d2f0b510d8a55.jpegIMG_9274.thumb.jpeg.bf5ce75b58b84fa6da1c3b2fc9330ec9.jpeg

These are cool. All my controllers are just rammed in a drawer. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

These are cool. All my controllers are just rammed in a drawer. 

I was tired of the paddles being jammed behind the console, it made me not want to pull them out and use them.  Now, with the side saddle, I'll paddle my way to the top.  This woman makes all sorts of holders for different controllers.  You should check her stuff out.  I think I will buy another joystick controller in a few months.

• Like 2

If anyone wants a XONOX game for $1.00 + bubble mailer shipping, PM me.  Want it inside a standard 2600 common shell, add $1.00 for the hand cramping. 😛

IMG_6395.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

If anyone wants a XONOX game for $1.00 + bubble mailer shipping, PM me.  Want it inside a standard 2600 common shell, add $1.00 for the hand cramping. 😛

IMG_6395.jpg

if i send in a custom label i might take you up

14 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

if i send in a custom label i might take you up

You can apply your own label, that takes time and money, you should see how much ink costs these days! :P

I can also offer a small flat rate box full of mystery games for a few bucks, time spent and all. ;)

IMG_7363.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I wasn't after a CIB copy Missile Command but when I saw how good this one looked in the photos of it's auction I had to order. It's as good it looked too, in really lovely condition. 

IMG_20240713_122412.thumb.jpg.e0c90257a058f5c488f12470e8ae9261.jpg

IMG_20240713_122421.thumb.jpg.d471958725797ca1308a86bf21c6486c.jpg

IMG_20240713_122428.thumb.jpg.191a98a7d46df4baa08b42a2453839f0.jpg

IMG_20240713_122433.thumb.jpg.9f3ad3faf057c51a84090069ef91ba5a.jpg

Looks Brand Spanking New! You gotta love the artwork on these boxes! Nice one!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Looks Brand Spanking New! You gotta love the artwork on these boxes! Nice one!

Yeah it's really in great condition. 

Gotta love those control panels. 🤣

It definitely doesn't look like Amazon US delivered it. 🤣

It's PAL, but I only had NTSC (not that I was after collecting a PAL copy) and the PAL version of this game is fine. Actually, I think I like the colours better, I need to compare them. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah it's really in great condition. 

Gotta love those control panels. 🤣

It definitely doesn't look like Amazon US delivered it. 🤣

It's PAL, but I only had NTSC (not that I was after collecting a PAL copy) and the PAL version of this game is fine. Actually, I think I like the colours better, I need to compare them. 

I learned a lot about PAL from you. I only have the one PAL Skateboard’in game if you hadn’t done the comparison on the NTSC / PAL versions I probably would’ve never noticed. So I’m sure for some games it doesn’t really make a difference.

Edited by MrChickenz

7 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I learned a lot about PAL from you. I only have the one PAL Skateboard’in game if you hadn’t done the comparison on the NTSC / PAL versions I probably would’ve never noticed.

Some PAL games are fine, most not so much. 🤣 The PAL skateboardin' is ok, a little squished, but not bad. Many don't notice, I'm just a bit of perfectionist.  🤣 I blame OCD. 🤷🏻🤣

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Post your comparison if you can! I’d like to see

It's tricky to get a good shot of both with the light right now, but I slightly prefer the NTSC version on looking at them again. The red is nicer, the red on the PAL version is quite pinky red. The NTSC version also has a thinner ground area, they just made the PAL one thicker with those extra lines. I don't mind when they do this, rather that than it be squished with large black areas. A game I've got on the way does this sort of thing with it's PAL version, to a greater extent though, it's mild here and looks fine. 

I'll try to grab some Stella screenshots now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I was just curious in the difference between the two. Missile Command seemed like one of those games that wouldn’t be much different.

It really isn't. I was just gonna edit the above post, but I will add the screenshots here. Taken on my laptop, I set the pallete to Standard for the NTSC and Z26 for the PAL, so as they are currently emulated on the 2600 Plus.

NTSC (Standard Palette)

NTSCSTANDARD.thumb.png.9a52692e860902c560c1923ff6bf7050.png

PAL (Z26 Palette)

PALZ26.thumb.png.d216547609ebdf46cc6f6b8689582b44.png

I will post a comparison like this when my new PAL game arrives, hopefully this week. It's one I don't own any copy of.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3