IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am not sure who wrote it, but if the author wants to sell more loose copies, have him contact me.  That $610 is just plain stupid, does nobody know there are multiple people here who can make carts?  My carts don't look like Hozer crust either. 😅

To be fair, the one that sold for $610 was a CIB Atariage cart, so the quality is great.  

but yeah - I always buy repros from people here rather than lose my shirt in a dumb eBay bidding frenzy.

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

All activision games are problematic with the first connector. Generally you need to pull them out slightly 

This is an exaggeration. I have both cart connector boards. Ben recruited me early to beta the improved one. There were a small number of Activision games that were iffy with the original connector. Most Activision and all other brands work just fine. 

the new board is definitely better, but let’s not make false statements here like “they are all bad”.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

Not 600... not 600... i aint that desperate, you tell me 600$ or no Ikari Atari 7800 i might just play the NES version and weep.

Ikari Warriors on the 7800 kinda sucks. It’s rare, but it’s not worth anything approaching $600. 

honestly, anything over their original retail price for these games is stupid to pay.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

so the quality is great.  

We thrive on that. ;)

Just tumbled off of my workbench, along with a red and a blue one, most excellent hack. 

IMG_7663.jpg

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Ikari Warriors on the 7800 kinda sucks. It’s rare, but it’s not worth anything approaching $600. 

honestly, anything over their original retail price for these games is stupid to pay.

yeah true, but its quite fun and i do want to collect all the versions of Ikari Warriors, shame that 7800 is way too expensive...

and yeah i'm already barely able to justify it at 100-300, let alone something like 600

• Like 2

And ya know what is kinda worth a higher price? [but hopefully wont be too high for too long] Basketbrawl! Now what would be really cool is if there was NFL Blitz: Footbrawl for the 7800 and Lynx?

Hmmmmm, dunno...

Just recently started putting together a 7800 collection again, and the prices that 7800 games are going for now is just absurd. I'm thinking if I want a complete original library, I may just have to rely on repros for it. 

5 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Exactly. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Just recently started putting together a 7800 collection again, and the prices that 7800 games are going for now is just absurd. I'm thinking if I want a complete original library, I may just have to rely on repros for it.

As a first timer, yup, i'm lucky to even have what i do have, and i'm still too broke to afford some loose games lol, so yeah i may love games like Ikari or Water Ski or Xenophobe, but reproduction carts do the same thing for 30$, and you get to do arts and crafts for the labels, order homebrew and legit, i live same town as atariage so legit once an orders shipped i get it by the next day!

I'll bag whatever OEM games i can reasonably get but i'll be sticking to repros once those open back up, and of course i'll scramble all the loose change around once more 7800 game repressings come out officially, and honestly. High baller ebay sellers cant offer me Bleach Pac-Man or Coke Invaders [aka bizarro Pepsi Invaders] anyways

As much as i joke about desperation for Ikari 7800, the only way i'll ever get that game officially is if the stars allign and SNK allows a reissue, i find it for dirt cheap or win some hefty change from some scratch-off :D

By the way AtariAge... speaking of my overused "jokes", i am available for hiring... i will sit in a corner and put carts in boxes for 12 hours need be, DM me Al... ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

but yeah - I always buy repros from people here rather than lose my shirt in a dumb eBay bidding frenzy.

Thats the way i've gotta be, but then again i'm broke rn so... in due time i will ask about...

7 hours ago, shane857 said:

Atari should re-release this so it's affordable for everybody. 

While I definitely agree that Popeye should be re-released, I doubt Nintendo or Disney would go for it.  They're both over-protective of their IP, and Nintendo probably considers the existence of a 7800 port tantamount to piracy.  Nintendo and Atari have also sued one another on more than one occasion.

23 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

yeah true, but its quite fun and i do want to collect all the versions of Ikari Warriors, shame that 7800 is way too expensive...

and yeah i'm already barely able to justify it at 100-300, let alone something like 600

Just keep your eye on eBay. every so often you'll get someone who sells it at a cheap price. That's how I got my cheap(er) copy. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KainXavier said:

While I definitely agree that Popeye should be re-released, I doubt Nintendo or Disney would go for it.  They're both over-protective of their IP, and Nintendo probably considers the existence of a 7800 port tantamount to piracy.  Nintendo and Atari have also sued one another on more than one occasion.

Don't doubt it, but we DO have licensed versions of Nintendo games on Atari, so anything might be possible.

Don't tell me the idea of a golden 7800 atari cart with 7800 zelda 1 doesn't get you salivating lol. 

They should get with the times and gender swap link too or let us rescue link and play zelda lol 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Don't tell me the idea of a golden 7800 atari cart with 7800 zelda 1 doesn't get you salivating lol. 

They should get with the times and gender swap link too or let us rescue link and play zelda lol 

It would be pretty cool to see the Legend of Zelda make it over to the 7800.  (Have you seen mzxrule's 2600 game?)  That said, I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys Nintendo's terrible and/or more obscure stuff.  I want to see ports, remakes, or collections of the CD-i Trilogy, BS-Zelda, and the original LoZ Game & Watch game.  The 7800 might not be the best fit for that, though. 😛

Also, I am more excited about Echoes of Wisdom than I have been about any other Zelda title since Wind Waker.

And uh... to stay on topic, I'm probably going to buy this?  I really want to mess around with the SNES2Atari adapter for my own game, and I'll probably pick up A.R.T.I. at some point.

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed typo and condensed quote.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Not a game, but I’ve been after this manual for quite some time now. This completes my CIB with reproduction box. Other than Willie’s ArcadeUSA video, I’ve never seen a T&F box. 

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg

I have one NIB and sold a CIB long ago, to our lost friend Noel (ntavio).  R.I.P.

I vividly remember this, because he was joking around and wanted to see it standing on one corner (old joke about asking sellers for pics).

• Like 3

I got Gravitar today, quite difficult [for me at least rn] but fun, really interesting game, as if Space War made diplomacy and one of the ships went off to fight the galactic invasion!

Quite fun.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

I got Gravitar today, quite difficult [for me at least rn] but fun, really interesting game, as if Space War made diplomacy and one of the ships went off to fight the galactic invasion!

Quite fun.

Gravitar is a great game, but it kicks my arse. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I like Gravitar. Very hard game, but addictive. I like the challenge. Has anyone tried Gravitar Recharged? That game is absolutely amazing.

Yes! I have all the Recharged games, they have been a really good series. 

• Like 2

My CX24 finally arrived today. Here it is just before I cleaned it up. 

IMG_20240806_120312.thumb.jpg.973483aeb5b2b2cd3d63896e85ead986.jpg

I just tested it by playing some Missile Command, I have to say that the stick was very responsive. 

Some questions:

IMG_20240806_120318.thumb.jpg.c58a3f252f83aee5a9e6482318efaded.jpg

Are the inner wires supposed to be exposed in the strain relief grommet here? You would usually see the black outer shielding go all the way inside the controller. I can possibly take this apart and move it inside if they are not all like this. 

The top of the stick.

IMG_20240806_120334.thumb.jpg.89e0f267e19d8b484dbfe4ac34cffe7e.jpg

It just lifts off easily. Is this supposed to happen? If not I can glue it on, or would that restrict taking it apart later? Or some blue tack in there might help. It spins round, but not enough to cause an issue. I could ignore it. 

The actual shaft of the stick.

IMG_20240806_120347.thumb.jpg.d111f8e750a2b91e5580e031f76d4224.jpg

This also spins round, is this normal?

Anyway, all these things aside I was impressed by the responsiveness of the joystick...But I can definitely see why having my left palm basically pointing to ths sky to hold the body of the joystick whilst simultaneously pressing fire buttons could cause extreme hand cramps. I have not played long enough to get them yet, but I can absolutely believe it would happen as it's such an unnatural way to hold your arm for extended periods. 

All round though, again I was surprised by the responsiveness and I'll try it out further. The jury is still out for me though. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2