IGNORED

2600 help needed

Celotine

3 hours ago, Celotine said:

Ok there was a short on the power connector after recap. When I removed the ribbon cable the short disappeared. So the short is on the board with the switches. Question. How did I mess this up?

First, you are implying that there was no short before you replaced capacitors.  Was the 2600 working before being recapped?  Did you test for shorts before recapping?  What method did you use to determine that there was a short?  Did you connect the 2600 to power before testing for shorts after recapping?  Assuming there were no shorts before you worked on the 2600, did you test the new capacitors before installing them?

Second, your image quality could be acceptable for fault finding, but you are hiding part of the bottom of the board that you claim has a fault.  We need to see the whole thing, even if you don't think you did anything there that could cause a problem.

It wasn't working before. There was a short on the power connector but I assumed it was a damaged connector. There was a direct connection between both terminals on the power connector and there still is. But when I removed the ribbon the short disappeared. Also I discovered I had that big blue cap in backwards and it got reversed biased. That might be my issue. I'm gonna pop it out and see what happens.