IGNORED

Pi Pico[W] Peripheral Expansion Box Side Port Device

JasonACT

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

There is no technical reason for the name to be the same. 

Since I was the software & hardware librarian for my Canberra TI club, from 14yo to 16yo, I can say there is a reason - all those XB (auto) LOAD disks we loved, with menus, which can now be made with CALL TIPI.  Both our devices can run newly created content now.  And in my 2nd post in this thread I also made it perfectly clear these are not the same device in any case.

You can't buy mine, you have to build it yourself, or have a friend who won't rip you off.  Those are the conditions I set forward.

Seems pretty clear they are not the same.

18 hours ago, JasonACT said:

Here's another 266MHz 2MB SAMS firmware, I've conditionally included an extra NOP when the speed is set at 266MHz or above.

I was able to test this on my 3 TIs.  It passed on 2 of the 3: Silver TI and QI TI.  For some reason the SAMS burn-in fails on the beige one.

I will probably just use the 264 mhz versions.  As I said before, I am perfectly happy with those. 

Of course I am available to do testing should you release new firmware.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chue said:

I was able to test this on my 3 TIs.  It passed on 2 of the 3: Silver TI and QI TI.  For some reason the SAMS burn-in fails on the beige one.

I will probably just use the 264 mhz versions.  As I said before, I am perfectly happy with those. 

Of course I am available to do testing should you release new firmware.

Ah, that's one more TI working then.  Attached is one last attempt (another NOP added conditionally) to see if I can't get this working on them all.

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

XB removed searching DSR's for CALLs unless in immediate mode. So they cannot be used in DSK1.LOAD programs. I only reply as to not leave anyone misinformed.

And Myarc added it back in, in XBII, apparently.  I say "apparently" because that's what I was using when I tested it, but I can now confirm TI-XB, RXB and 2.9GEM don't allow it (I would say only to prevent CALL FILES messing up the VRAM, and two of those XBs can still be updated by @RXB and @senior_falcon).  But I hope you can now see why I was protesting the unnecessary removal of one of my attempts to make my device compatible with the public domain TIPI device.

PPEB2.ino.uf2.zip

• Like 1

'compatibility' is a key word you hadn't used when making your case against my suggestion. I had no idea you were aiming for compatibility with TIPI besides the mentioned mouse support. 

Going back to the beginning of this thread, there is really no discussion of what or how it is characterized as compatible...  I'm sorry for the mis-understanding. 

In what ways is this compatible? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

In what ways is this compatible? 

Other than the EA5 loader, I have template code in the file "extensions.h" that currently handle the mouse (0x20) and tcpip (0x22) - and I've extended it with a direct interface to USB gamepads for 2 joysticks (0x30) that allow more buttons than a normal TI for each.  I really only use the mouse at the moment, the joysticks are also routed to the usual CRUs so I have nothing that uses it either, but I released the code so someone else could add other things they might use.  Should I start using other things, I will add them myself and release an update.  Then there is the SD card filesystem access, but that's a little different for various reasons.

Edit: Forgot to mention the PI.CLOCK and PI.TCP devices.

Edited by JasonACT

16 hours ago, JasonACT said:

Ah, that's one more TI working then.  Attached is one last attempt (another NOP added conditionally) to see if I can't get this working on them all.

Works on all 3 of my TIs.  Sams burn-in ran at 3 times on each.

• Like 1

I've designed a version 3 board, adds R8 and U7 - just leave those two components out and it should work the same as the last board.

image.thumb.png.5725e89e2e3a78f3770c7dcbddb806e4.png

I'll give a warning, as before, I have not had these made (and won't, though I'd love to have one) so it's an unverified set of files.

(There's the option to cut two traces and use the speech PWM pin instead of UART RX for the second PSRAM chip select, but I would never do that myself.)

PPEB3.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

I've designed a version 3 board, adds R8 and U7 - just leave those two components out and it should work the same as the last board.

image.thumb.png.5725e89e2e3a78f3770c7dcbddb806e4.png

I'll give a warning, as before, I have not had these made (and won't, though I'd love to have one) so it's an unverified set of files.

(There's the option to cut two traces and use the speech PWM pin instead of UART RX for the second PSRAM chip select, but I would never do that myself.)

PPEB3.zip 66.48 kB · 0 downloads

looks great, i am in the progress of setting up my 3rd ti99 system which will be console v2.2 qi system with myarc mini expansion, would like to add this to the mix to do tests on, etc. so might get a board make and see how it works. great job. looking good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

@RickyDean Let me know if any of my .zip files triggered a threat detection.

Will do, but in this case it seems the site did, for this particular page. I've been downloading these pages since you first brought the Pico Expansion out and have never had a pagr trigger before.

• Like 1

Not sure what software you're using, but there are no viruses embedded in the forum.  Recently, Chrome and Firefox have started marking every single attachment with a .bin extension, and some other extensions, as containing malware or a virus.  Which is patently false, they are just blanket labeling all such files as dangerous.  Could be related to that.  And it's very annoying, since I'm not sure there's anything I can do on my end to prevent them from falsely claiming such files are dangerous, short of renaming all these files to use alternate extensions (such as .a26 for Atari 2600 binaries).

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Not sure what software you're using, but there are no viruses embedded in the forum.  Recently Chrome and Firefox have started marking every single attachment with a .bin extension, and some other extensions, as containing malware or a virus.  Which is patently false, they are just blanket labeling all such files as dangerous.  Could be related to that.  And it's very annoying, since I'm not sure there's anything I can do on my end to prevent them from falsely claiming such files are dangerous, short of renaming all these files to use alternate extensions (such as .a26 for Atari 2600 binaries).

..Al

Understood. This is windows 10. Just wierd that it starts doing it tonight, haven't had a webpage show a hit since I built this laptop, 6 months ago. I also use Win 11 on my other laptop and I think I'll see if it shows a hit when I attempt to download those pages.

It's not unusual to get false positives like this, I've seen it various times in the past, usually involving compressed files and/or executables (such as game binaries, of which there are thousands of on the forum).  

I just scanned this page on an online checker.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.31.05 PM.png

..Al

• Like 1

Just now, Albert said:

It's not unusual to get false positives like this, I've seen it various times in the past, usually involving compressed files and/or executables (such as game binaries, of which there are thousands of on the forum).  

I just scanned this page on an online checker.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.31.05 PM.png

..Al

Understood, on the Win 11 machine I just downloaded this page again again, using Firefox and I'm not seeing any virus warnings.

When I ran a scan on the download folder only, I do get this warning from Windows Defender. This is the one I downloaded with Firefox at 11:27, on the Win 11 machine. I'm going to bed now but will power on my computers and check again in the morning.

Untitled pg 12 again.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content