IGNORED

A wintery animation

Teapot

Here's a quiet, animated display to have running in the background. Or for zoning out while you stare at it.

image.thumb.jpeg.b676a5eb8a3ddd4bb2f4957c1f8bc36a.jpeg

flakes.xex

Needs 48K, no BASIC (It tries to turn it off. There are cases where it fails).

No OS A/B (sorry) - it uses Graphics 15 and draws with CIO. Support will have to wait for a future version with custom drawing.

Color mode is like a context aware attract mode (the real one is always blocked).

If you don't have a shift key handy you can use the joystick 1 button.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Philsan said:

With overscan!

Some things just need to fill the whole screen to be effective. 🙂

Speaking of which, can somebody with a PAL CRT tell me if it fills the screen to all 4 edges? I know the technical differences but have never seen a PAL screen so I don't have a good visual understanding of the differences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Why no OS A/B?

I started the project by working out how to draw the big flake. So I just used the OS to set up Graphics 15 and draw the lines for expedience while experimenting. I ran out of time to replace the OS calls with custom drawing code and Graphics 15 doesn't exist in OS A/B so it just returns an error instead of setting up the screen as I expect.

I'll get to it in the future. My original machine was a CTIA 800 so I can't leave them completely behind. And custom drawing will improve the redraw delay considerably.

• Like 2

Here's an updated version that cleans up the glitchy bits at the top and bottom of a PAL screen (that are hidden in the overscan of NTSC).

It also will now display all the falling flakes on OS A/B machines. It's just a display list hack until I can get the big flake properly drawing.

I also forgot to mention originally that joystick 1 will blow the spinning flakes left and right.

flake.xex

• Like 6

On 12/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, ClausB said:

Are you using a kernel loop or a DLI to move the missiles?

There's a DLI to handle the horizontal positioning of the P/M elements.

The VBI handles vertical positioning.

And a VBD does math for the next frame.

Those are all adjusted depending on the visibility of the two elements.

The "main" code only draws the big flake and knows nothing about any of the above. It gets to run in the remaining cycles which is why the speed changes depending on what other elements are visible.

• Like 4