IGNORED

What are my 7800 controller options for 2600+?

Mothdevil

On 12/19/2023 at 11:10 AM, scifidude79 said:

Retrogameboyz.com seems like a high class operation. I ordered one of their controllers off of Ebay, and they sent me a message about it shipping today and even images of the controller and the packaging.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0bd34fd9ed98f71b64f25c562e280480.jpg

I'm pretty excited to get this. I opted for this plain one with the wood insert because of the fact that it doesn't come with the little joystick. If I'm going to use what's essentially an NES controller, I want it to feel like an NES controller.

That may have been a mistake. The little joystick helps. Just because this looks like an NES controller does not mean it is one, the D-Pad is nowhere near as sensitive as the NES D-Pad. It's a bit rough without that little joystick hat, IMO. Still, prolly not any worse than an old CX78.

Hyperkin still has the best controller IMO. I want a 2 button ranger with a paddle, that would be incredible. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

That may have been a mistake. The little joystick helps. Just because this looks like an NES controller does not mean it is one, the D-Pad is nowhere near as sensitive as the NES D-Pad. It's a bit rough without that little joystick hat, IMO. Still, prolly not any worse than an old CX78.

Hyperkin still has the best controller IMO. I want a 2 button ranger with a paddle, that would be incredible. 

Mine works fine. But then I've really only used it for Asteroids and Pole Postition II for the 7800. I may have used it a bit for a 2600 game or two, but I mostly use the CX-40 for everything else.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, Intellivision Master said:

Their ranger controller is neat.  I never used one but have considered it.  If they make a new ranger controller with 2 buttons and a paddle I'd get it.  

It's mini joystick on ball is quite good, has snap back to center.

• Like 1

I found an original 7800 controller at a retro game store for $15 and on a lark bought it. Yes, it is a terribly designed controller but it did work. I noticed they are going for more on eBay but figured it would do until they put out a new official one. 

• Like 1

Today I got a 'Hyperkin "GN6" Premium Controller for Genesis' (which I got for around $13 USD on Amazon) using with the '7800 Mega Controller Adapter' (which I got for $16 USD on the Atariage store) and I just tested it with a couple of 7800 games; Pole Position II and Xevious (one or two button mode can be selected with the difficulty switch) and can confirm that it works fine. Playing a couple of 2600 games as a quick test, Pitfall and Galaxian, it works as well.

So it could be a good, and reasonably priced, option for those wanting a Genesis style gamepad controller to play 7800 and 2600 games on your 2600+.

• Like 3

Didn't Ben in one of the threads give an early look at a brand new CX78+ that they are going to be offering some time (hopefully soon)? 

I've had hit and miss success with controllers over the years. My old CX24's are ok, but they aren't as responsive as I'd like them to be (Maybe I need to look into newer PCBs for them), and to be honest, I've always wanted the game pads. 

If brand new ones are coming, I'll be pre-ordering them as soon as I can.