IGNORED

ARCHON

Vorticon

Aside from not really groking Archon way back when, the only problem I have is the screen blanker activates while watching a computer vs. computer game.  This is a fantastic conversion.

BTW, for anyone who did not read the manual, this is hard drive installable.  Even more cool.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 8:12 AM, Vorticon said:

Martin Mangold has done it again and converted Archon to the TI 99/4A! You can grab it here: https://tigameshelf.net/asm.htm

I'm confused... 

I have a copy of Archon for the TI that I downloaded a couple of years ago.  2021-07-23, to be precise.  

Is this an all new version, a major reviosion...  or just something that's been there for a while but which you hadn't noticed until now (which is easy enough to do in communities like this one!)

The version I have is written by Marc Walessa and compiled into an executable "cartridge bin" by TMOP. 

It looks like the same game, but I'll try playing it tomorrow to find out for sure. 

15 minutes ago, CLBrown said:

I'm confused... 

I have a copy of Archon for the TI that I downloaded a couple of years ago.  2021-07-23, to be precise.  

Is this an all new version, a major reviosion...  or just something that's been there for a while but which you hadn't noticed until now (which is easy enough to do in communities like this one!)

The version I have is written by Marc Walessa and compiled into an executable "cartridge bin" by TMOP. 

It looks like the same game, but I'll try playing it tomorrow to find out for sure. 

I am not aware of a previous TI version. This version is a machine language conversion of the original game which was sent to me by Martin last week. Can you post what you have so we can compare?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLBrown said:

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I am not aware of a previous TI version. This version is a machine language conversion of the original game which was sent to me by Martin last week. Can you post what you have so we can compare?

This it?  It is the same game, but only as similar as can be done with Extended BASIC (and not terrible at that.)  Martin's rendition is almost exactly like the original EA release for other 8-bits of the era.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Here's the file I have...  or rather, the two different versions (both of which SEEM to be identical in how they run, for me, but which have different SHA-160 values, not to mention different file sizes, so they don't seem to be 100% identical).

Plus, several screenshots I took (I always take screenshots in Classic99 while I'm identifying and sorting my various games and apps, and put the "best" one at the top level, so I can see thumbnails of whatever the game is while I browse through my folders).

FYI, I don't seem to quite get how to put "inline images" from locally stored files into a post, here, only to put them in as attachments.  Yet I see others doing so, so I know it's possible.  Anyway...  they're here.

[GAME] Archon (198x)(Marc Walessa)[Compiled by TMOP]_8.bin [GAME] Archon (198x)(Marc Walessa)[Compiled by TMOP]_G.bin 0.bmp 1.bmp 2.bmp

Edited by CLBrown
fixed typo
  • Like 2