IGNORED

Retrosix Cleancomp Dot Crawl

Eyeball

Hi all,

installed a Retrosix Cleancomp (white board) into a 2600 junior, with mounted rca ports in the shell. 

when connected to a tv, it outputs fine but I get awful Dot Crawl on pole position.

ive tried to adjust the on board pot but it does not help.

when the pot is turned and the screen turns black and white it dissapears but that’s it, I either get minimal call but los of noise, or no noise but severe crawl.

i know the cleancomp has the option forms video, but my tv does not support it.

is there any solution, workaround or mod I can perform to eliminate this horrid looking effect?

thanks

20231215_132449.jpeg

20231215_132442.jpeg

6 hours ago, Eyeball said:

Hi all,

installed a Retrosix Cleancomp (white board) into a 2600 junior, with mounted rca ports in the shell. 

when connected to a tv, it outputs fine but I get awful Dot Crawl on pole position.

ive tried to adjust the on board pot but it does not help.

when the pot is turned and the screen turns black and white it dissapears but that’s it, I either get minimal call but los of noise, or no noise but severe crawl.

i know the cleancomp has the option forms video, but my tv does not support it.

is there any solution, workaround or mod I can perform to eliminate this horrid looking effect?

thanks

20231215_132449.jpeg

20231215_132442.jpeg

This is very common with composite signals on modern displays. Original CRTs most featured what was called a comb filter and it was designed to blend and hide the dot crawl effect. They don't put comb filters on modern TVs as they figure most folks are going to use the more modern inputs that are digital. 

Chances are that if you connected it to an older CRT via composite, that effect would largely go away. So the only way to get a better picture output is going with s-video output.