IGNORED

Question for developers working with spinners

AnalogKid

It could be that I have a wonky roller controller but I was wondering if any other game developers have seen the same thing that I have.  I added an interrupt handler for the IRQ that calls the BIOS UPDATE_SPINNER subroutine and what I'm seeing is occasionally there is "noise" in the values stored for the accumulated spinner velocities.  By that I mean I see a range of absolute values between 0 and 20, with 20 occurring when I spin the ball like a madman, and while maintaining a relatively constant value there will occasionally be a single very high value in the mix, like between 40 and 60.  Also this is occurring with testing code that has a bare minimum of code to avoid impacting the accumulated values.  Obviously I can code expecting noise but I was curious if anyone else had observed this with their own hardware.  

• 1 month later...

In case any other developers ran into the same problem, it turns out that if you're using the roller controller with the Collectorvision Phoenix there's apparently a problem due to the fact that your using a separate power supply for the roller controller and there's no common ground between the two devices.  As I did, you can code for the issue, i.e. look for a huge jump between the last spinner value and the current, but there is a hardware solution.  Someone created an adapter for the port on the back of the Phoenix that can power the roller controller.

Phoenix Roller Controller power supply

• 4 weeks later...

So we can't use games with roller controller on Phoenix, correct? 

You are also talking about code, do you have some code snippets to share for this or is it just a test between two values comparison?

I will try to contact the guy from the video to know if he can ship the hardware solution to france.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:31 PM, alekmaul said:

You are also talking about code, do you have some code snippets to share for this or is it just a test between two values comparison?

I will try to contact the guy from the video to know if he can ship the hardware solution to france.

You can with an external power supply, apparently. I haven't run it myself but others have reported success.

I think the spinner interrupt is just a bit noisy. I've done some test apps where I manage it directly and it's still a bit rough. I'd apply smoothing to anything I got from it.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:31 PM, alekmaul said:

I bought one of the Phoenix roller controller power supplies and I can confirm that it does clear up the input noise issue.  I mentioned it to my Collectorvision contact.  Who knows, maybe they'll collaborate with the creator.  

• Like 1