IGNORED

Defender / Stargate by...

4 hours ago, Ely said:

I’m surprised how little interest this has had on here. 

Is conversation the only evidence of interest?

It's perfectly fitting that these exist. It's amazing that we now have them in hand. Performance (speed, smoothness) and style are outstanding -- as would be expected. I wish they had been brought to completion, and, better still, published by Atari. How many times can comments like these be repeated? In reality, it was necessary for the man to die in order for us to obtain these. Therefore, I feel grief in looking at them, mixed with my joy over their content. I would have been happier to keep these sentiments to myself, with the knowledge that I'm surely not alone...

• Like 4

The linked video and article detail everything about the contents, not leaving much room or need for commenting further. I'd happily hear more if there's anything more to hear about them. I suppose some people who'll study them further may need some time -- if there's actually anything much else to find out or say about them. I've looked at some of the BASIC source code and didn't see anything to further comment on (didn't examine everything, though).

Drop Zone is a masterpiece of Atari 8-bit computer programming, graphic art, animation, and visual effects. Had the platform been a viable commercial vehicle for several years longer, we may have seen more than this and International Karate/World Karate Championship (another masterpiece) from Archer. He certainly did his part, though, to help prove what the platform is capable of doing.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, Ely said:

I’m surprised how little interest this has had on here. 

Because the games are a faff to run? 

To load in each build, load in the file as a BINARY LOAD, then RUN AT ADDRESS and use the following address for each:

DEF1 + DEF2 = 7B06
DEF3 = $4000
DEF4 = Should autorun when you binary load it.

Anyone converted them into an autorunning XEX or similar?

• Like 1

The disks were left untouched to respect Archer Maclean's work and show the development cycle. As you don't seem to be interested in that part, just use the BINARY LOAD option for the file called DEF4 which is the latest build. Otherwise, move it out from the disk and rename it to DEFENDER.XEX, it isn't rocket science. As for Stargate, the latest version just autoruns.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

The disks were left untouched to respect Archer Maclean's work and show the development cycle. As you don't seem to be interested in that part, just use the BINARY LOAD option for the file called DEF4 which is the latest build. Otherwise, move it out from the disk and rename it to DEFENDER.XEX, it isn't rocket science. 

Well, maybe not to you, but I never owned an Atari 8-bit so I don't have the slightest idea what that means. I did, on the other hand, know Archer Maclean and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't find it "disrespectful" for people to actually be able to enjoy his work without taking a degree in Atari nerding first. But, y'know, 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

This is a damn cool bit of news. It'll be even better if we can salvage the code and disassemble it so someone can finish it, as both of these seem to have the potential to be better than the Atari offerings. 

If not though, it's still cool. No wonder Dropzone was such a good Defender clone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Second part of Archer's Arcade experiments is up.

Thanks for the update.

Great to hear that they've been able to preserve just about everything on Archer's disks. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing this; it's all very interesting stuff.

One of the things that has struck me when watching these videos is the value of time when developing software.

Archer's games were all high-quality and incredibly polished, and the fact that he had a lot of time (relatively speaking) to experiment, develop, and iterate on his products has a lot to do with this. 

This was not a luxury many developers had "back in the day" when games often had to be crunched out in a couple of months to meet an exacting deadline.

When we look at a lot of the sub-standard games on the A8 that could have been better, it seems like a common factor that makes them so (apart from the inherent skill of the creator) is often the time they had to develop the work in and the target memory they were aiming for. All things being equal, more time and more memory means a better product.

There are always exceptions of course (Donkey Kong on the A8 being an obvious example), but I wonder how much better many of the games we got would have been if the hardware had been 48K standard from the beginning and developers were given more reasonable time limits to execute their work.

Edited by sargie
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, sargie said:

but I wonder how much better many of the games we got would have been if the hardware had been 48K standard from the beginning and developers were given more reasonable time limits to execute their work.

A lot of them would have been better; but that's business.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:15 PM, Lostdragon said:

Second part of Archer's Arcade experiments is up. 

I was just about to post the very same article until I saw this. very interesting read/ watch too. 

• Like 1