IGNORED

If my old cartridge doesnt work, what to do?

old2600guy

So i got myself the 2600+ for Christmas, and dug out my old cartridges and paddles from the box they have been in since, late 80s maybe.  Jedi Arena does not load and Space Invaders only has 2 games to select instead of the 100+.
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix that, both are listed as supported, although technically space invaders does work sorta
Original cartridges  of Empire Strikes Back, Night Driver, Combat work fine 

Did you try giving the contacts of those cartridges a good cleaning yet?

In many cases that can get non-working game cartridges to work.

Here's a little video I did that shows as example of how to clean a couple different-styled 2600 game cartridges (one with contacts already exposed, and another with the protective enclosure such as Space Invaders has):

Good luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

%100 cleaning. Even if they look clean as mine did they’re probably having some kind of corrosion/build-up. My TV testimonial: I had carts I had all but written off, but thanks to cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol bought off Amazon I’m able to play my games like they just came out of the box! Thank you isopropyl alcohol!

• Like 1

If you having contact problems after cleaning then one way of sorting it is putting solder on the contacts teeth and then the teeth will connect properly, they can wear down over time because your pushing and pulling the cartridge in and out all the time. it happens to SD cards too, especially the SD Card Adapters.

Edited by Spanner

1 hour ago, Spanner said:

If you having contact problems after cleaning then one way of sorting it is putting solder on the contacts teeth and then the teeth will connect properly, they can wear down over time because your pushing and pulling the cartridge in and out all the time. it happens to SD cards too, especially the SD Card Adapters.

you always cracking out the MacGyver techniques

• Like 1

I genuinely think it’s brilliant how these carts from the late 70s still work after being cleaned :D

CDs and old computer tapes degrade so much faster, it’s nice that we can still use so many of the original hardware/software for these games whereas we’re having to rely more mad more on SD card players for floppy disc and cassette games. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slider271 said:

I genuinely think it’s brilliant how these carts from the late 70s still work after being cleaned :D

CDs and old computer tapes degrade so much faster, it’s nice that we can still use so many of the original hardware/software for these games whereas we’re having to rely more mad more on SD card players for floppy disc and cassette games. 

It is pretty awesome. I know some folk swear by physical media in the optical disc space as well, but I’ll be quite surprised if my Wii games and GameCube games still work in 20 years (assuming I’m still around to play them 😅).

• Like 1