IGNORED

FinalGrom99 compatibility

Divarin

Hi all I have a question about the FinalGrom99.

For the most part it seems to work with most cartridge images but occasionally I run into one that doesn't work, for example "Treasure Island".

First I tried the copy from the TOSEC on archive.org

and then from this site: https://4apedia.com/index.php/Solid_State_Software_Command_Module (extracting files from the the .rpk)

For both when I try to select it it just shows a blank screen.

Could this be a compatibility issue with my FinalGROM cart? Maybe my particular TI-99? Maybe the archived roms are corrupt?

Can someone else try to get that game working from either of those two sites and let me know if it works for you?

6 hours ago, Torrax said:

Here are the files from the TOSEC archive extracted, renamed and working on my FinalGrom99. Don't use the one with [O] in the filename.

TIslandG.bin 22 kB · 2 downloads

TIslandC.bin 8 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks. I downloaded those and put them onto my SD card and they work

I used "md5sum" to confirm that your files are the same as the files I was working with.

The non-working ones are named (and MD5 sums):

treasure/treasurec.bin     9b18657fa51604b5653b000d94f03e32

treasure/treasureg.bin     769a9c6f88953a1a2ab69aec5aba070d

The working ones (which you attached to your post):

tisland/TIslandC.bin     9b18657fa51604b5653b000d94f03e32

tisland/TIslandG.bin     769a9c6f88953a1a2ab69aec5aba070d

Now that I think about it I think my issue is that I've overrun the 8 character limit so the FinalGROM cart wasn't seeing the "c" or "g" ending on the filename.  I just confirmed this by renaming the files to "treasurc.bin" and "treasurg.bin" and it worked so I need to be more careful with the filenames and make sure they aren't more than 8 characters long.

P.S. RickyDean: Yeah my TIPI is a combo which has the 32k ram expansion however it appears that this game doesn't require it.

Edited by Divarin
update
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, RickyDean said:

The TiPi itself is not a 32k or Sams memory expansion, it is simply an interface for file storage and other activities. If you have a 32k tipi side car and/or TiPi combo, or a Sams /TiPi combo, then you have the 32k needed for these Roms. Is that what you have?

the tipi he has is the combo 32k and tipi sidecar likely .. so.. not correct

On 12/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, Divarin said:

Hi all I have a question about the FinalGrom99.

For the most part it seems to work with most cartridge images but occasionally I run into one that doesn't work, for example "Treasure Island".

First I tried the copy from the TOSEC on archive.org

and then from this site: https://4apedia.com/index.php/Solid_State_Software_Command_Module (extracting files from the the .rpk)

For both when I try to select it it just shows a blank screen.

Could this be a compatibility issue with my FinalGROM cart? Maybe my particular TI-99? Maybe the archived roms are corrupt?

Can someone else try to get that game working from either of those two sites and let me know if it works for you?

you should be running the carts in the finalgrom99.zip on ftp.whtech.com under cartridges/finalgrom99

those are correctly named, and will work.. anything else you need to follow the 8.3 naming standard with the correct types etc.. as documented in the github for the fg99

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

you should be running the carts in the finalgrom99.zip on ftp.whtech.com under cartridges/finalgrom99

those are correctly named, and will work.. anything else you need to follow the 8.3 naming standard with the correct types etc.. as documented in the github for the fg99

Okay good advice, thanks.  I used to use the whtech FTP server a lot in years past but now can only access the files via HTTP.  The FTP server is still there but no longer accepts anonymous logins.