IGNORED

Favorite Programming Book?

Boschloo

This is a topic inspired by a post from @Appeelicious on the TI-99/4A forum. In fact, let me quote him directly:

What's your favorite beginner's reference for programming? I think I want to roll up my sleeves and get some programming learning in this 2024. So what reference is good for starting almost from the ground up?

I have the same question, but for the Commodore 128. What makes things a bit tricky is how the C128 is actually two computers in one, due to the 64/128 modes.

Does the Commodore 128 have anything like Peter Lottrup's "Compute's Beginner's Guide to Assembly Language on the TI-99/4A" book? 

Learn the C64 architecture first - this is a great place to start:

C64 Programmer's Reference Guide.pdf (classiccmp.org)

I think the guide was expanded to include the C128 later on.

The C128 mode is interesting particularly the enhanced BASIC and built in Editor/Assembler and Dissembler in ROM.

Here is an educational video from 8-bit show and tell using the Assembler and Dissembler to find compatibility differences between the C64 and C128:

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

C64 Programmer's Reference Guide.pdf (classiccmp.org)

True story.  When I was in my early teens, my grandmother and I went to a Florida Pottery store.  On a clearance table in the middle of the store I found this book.  Being I had recently taken up the Commodore 64, and coming from the TI I still had the programming bug, I asked my grandmother if she would but me that book.  It was $20, which was a good bit of money.  I promised her it would not go to waste and she bought it for me.  That book wound up being one of the most used books in my library, some of the pages coming looks from its binding.

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

I think the guide was expanded to include the C128 later on.

There is a C128 Programmer's Reference Guide, built the same way as the C64.  There is also a C128 Reference Guide for Programmers, which is nowhere near as good.

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

The C128 mode is interesting particularly the enhanced BASIC and built in Editor/Assembler and Dissembler in ROM.

It has a built-in monitor, which has a disassembler and mini-assembler, but not an E/A.  I used TSDS back in the day.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:12 PM, OLD CS1 said:

There is a C128 Programmer's Reference Guide, built the same way as the C64.

Bought it, just got it. Wow that's a thick book....and oddly it has adverts on the cover and back for a computer repair shop.

13 minutes ago, Boschloo said:

Bought it, just got it. Wow that's a thick book....and oddly it has adverts on the cover and back for a computer repair shop.

They are not official Commodore books, so that does not surprise me.  Mine has a fold-in subscription card for Commodore Magazine in the back cover.