IGNORED

Gear Coleco update

Captain Cozmos

It is not my program but I use it heavily.
It has been updated and the things I have noticed while using are:

The RAM now reports as $7000 instead of $6000

There was some NMI bug, I read this on the guys GITHUB page.  It has been fixed and now Space Panic runs properly.
From also reading, not in this version, he has started work on SAC, Driving and Roller Controllers.

The main window does not stay where you put it but it does retain it's size.

All the other windows do retain their size and shape.  This used to drive me crazy because I had to reposition them every boot.

I have found that it is more stable now and runs everything I have thrown at it.

ADAM is not supported yet but then again it may never.  After all, it is a "Colecovision" emulator.

Give the guy his props.  Support him financially and request ADAM, maybe he will actually do it.

It has one of the best debuggers aside from MAME and, did I mention that it was updated.

Here is his github link and I don't think he will mind if I post the thing.

https://github.com/drhelius/Gearcoleco

03 Cozmos

Gearsystem Coleco.zip

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Like 3

I just went to my usual emulation site and found out that a new version has come out again.

I have not tested it but it shows the controller updates.

here is the setup.

please support this guy and beg to add the ADAM.

Send him a few bucks, give him incentive.

Gearsystem Coleco.zip

edit:

confirmed the Super Action Controllers work.

I have also discovered how they work and can now use them in any upcoming projects.

Spinners work as well.  Activated through the menu, follows the mouse great.  Maybe a bit too great.

Also, the mouse is still present over the screen.  Maybe this will play better using a full screen mode.

SGM support has not been added but someone already requested it.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

Posted (edited)

This has been updated again.
Now with SGM support.

It is still lacking the PSG emulation but the rest seems to be stable and running.

You can look into the SGM memory location and all the trimmings that go along with it.

Super Games, that are nothing more than the Super Games originally for the ADAM have sound because they were programed for the ADAM while the MSX games that require the extra hardware you still have to wait in order to hear them.

Again, this is not mine but here is the update in case you don't know where to get a compiled version.

Already, using this on some of these games like Mappy.  Why does it need the SGM for anything other than sound.  This thing hardly uses any RAM.

It seems like this could have been reworked to go with a lower quality of sound or maybe have gotten Amy Purple to redo it.

Gearcoleco-Windows-binary.zip

Edited by Captain Cozmos

Posted (edited)

Gearcoleco (2024/01/04)

Another update, Still no PSG yet

I don't know if that last version mouse/Roller Controller was fixed but it has in this.

Set it to active then press F12 to capture and hide the mouse.

This one works "GREAT" which gives me pause to now say I can work on roller controller games without putting up with the nonsense of transfering to the real hardware with every update.

Support this guy.  He probably would enjoy financial support more than likes.

Gearsystem Coleco.zip

Edited by Captain Cozmos

Posted (edited)

There is always something positive to say about an emulator that is written in C++ and works on modern computers.

I am going to go over the code this weekend to see what I can do to add ADAM support because after reading some of the github comments, he does not wish to or desire to do so.

I took C++ in college some 25 years ago, how hard can it be to relearn some basic principles.

Either way, in my book, for my purposes, this has taken the top spot as far as Colecovision emulators out there "and" it is being updated.  The only thing lacking now is the ADAM.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

23 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I am going to go over the code this weekend to see what I can do to add ADAM support because after reading some of the github comments, he does not wish to or desire to do so.

Would the available source code for ADAMem SDL v2.xx by Geoff Oltmans, ColecoDS by Wavemotion and MAME/ADAM emulation be helpful in this endeavor?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Would the available source code for ADAMem SDL v2.xx by Geoff Oltmans, ColecoDS by Wavemotion and MAME/ADAM emulation be helpful in this endeavor?

I don't know.  I would have to see it.

I have looked pretty much at all Source codes pertaining to the Colecovision and ADAM.  Especially MAME.

I should be able to apply the principle behind the code to the Visual Studio and format that GearColeco uses but I have to go over it first.

Point me to the source and I'll go over it and see what's what.

Either way, I am totally committed due to impatience in waiting for it to happen.

My last bet was on Emu-Two but that was emu-TWO years ago.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

I've always just used the keyboard.
What I have noticed, that I corrected in mine, was that some of the player one buttons were also mapped to the player two.

I can't say if that is your issue but it wouldn't hurt to look.

If you can't get it to work but it in the issue bin on Github, he's been pretty responsive lately.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 4:45 PM, NIAD said:

I just received my replacement graphics card today and have been using this time to install a fresh version of Win 11.
There was a sale on WD Black 4 TB so I maxed out my slots with 3.
Now I can work work on everything after I install Visual Studio.

I enjoyed VS 2006, it wasn't bloated and was simple.  Turbo C was fun.  But VS 20xx is a mess trying to make everyone happy.

9 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

What I have noticed, that I corrected in mine, was that some of the player one buttons were also mapped to the player two.

I can't say if that is your issue but it wouldn't hurt to look.

Thanks, this steered me in the right direction. 

Even though no Gamepad P2 was recognized, it was marked as Enabled, and when I disabled Gamepad P2, the controller then worked.  🙂

I never noticed that you can disengage either of those controllers.

There seems to be almost nightly builds and I am not 100% familiar with how github functions other than collaborating on open source code.  Someone is compiling them or it's automated.

I say this because for the last week a new version has come out once a day but I do not see any external changes.

I like the thing and it is slowly becoming the top emulator in this realm as far as developers and debugging.

But, what I am really interested in is ADAM development so I am working to get that added onto gear Coleco.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

While I am working on the ADAM features I can compile a release or debug version of Gear Coleco at any time now that I have VS installed and a link to the GIT.

So, whenever it's updated then I will compile and post it here whenever I have an opportunity or am reminded about an update.

As soon as I get some definite results on the ADAM this will be the same place for releasing it for the time being as well.  I might rename it GearADAM to keep from confusing the two.

As far as daily GearColeco builds I suggest that before you overwrite with the updated exe that you back up your current one just in case.
A lot of these dev builds does not necessarily mean they work the way intended.

Remember, this would not be possible without the original author of GearColeco so send him some love on Github or anywhere else Ignacio hangs out.

Gearcoleco.exe

Edited by Captain Cozmos

• 2 weeks later...