IGNORED

Examples of Platformer Games on Vectrex

Skeleboy

Hi everyone! I'm an artist and aspiring gamedev who recently started planning a platformer game where every couple of stages the overall style changes. The styles in question reference old school console graphics such as the NES, the GameBoy, the Atari 2600 and such. 

With that in mind, the Vectrex was also a console that caught my attention for its unique look and I figured it would be cool to reference it in game too, however I'm having trouble finding games that could serve as inspiration for the visuals. Most games, be it original or homebrew, usually boil down to space shooters or arcade games, which are cool, but usually lack background visuals akin to what platformers usually have. I did find a game that spiked my interest in its visuals, "Vector Patrol", an arcade game and a shoot'em up at that, but it has really cool visuals, scrolling backgrounds and even some holes you need to jump over, so pretty much what you'd find in a platformer. But since that's the only one I could find I figured I'd ask more experienced people on the matter, can anyone point me to the right direction?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My advice to you is to not set your goals so high for your first vectrex project.  Vector Patrol and VecFever's emulated port of Vector Kong are pretty much unobtainable goals for mere mortals.  These are like Vectrex god level developer goals.

Get your feet wet making the simplest things you can first, and keep going if you are having fun.

There are many other Vectrex platformer style games but really unnecessary to even go looking at different ones.  I'd start working out how to design and draw things, and scroll level data on screen.  Make sure you understand how to optimize your code after you spend some time making a simple MVP of something that's relatively fun to play.  Then you can start adding more and more details.  But less it more... try to create the most expression with the least detail.  They say to not worry about optimization early on, but if you don't want to re-write the code too many times which can be dispiriting, it's worth giving some thought to it as you go.

I want to work on a Geometry Dash clone some day.  It doesn't have to be visually insane like Vector Patrol to be fun, but for you as an artist, you might be more tempted to get fancy with the spices.  Hopefully you have some character animation chops and can add a ton of charm with a few vector strokes ;-) 

If you want more help or encouragement, feel free to join the VEXTREME discord :D

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind words :D but I don't intend to program for the Vectrex, just to emulate its visuals on a PC game! I've put Vector Patrol as an example because its visuals are really appealing and would fit a platformer game (something like Super Mario Bros) perfectly. I wanted other examples since I want my game to look like something you'd actually see on Vectrex, else it might look too fake to those that know the console well. I don't actually plan to follow to a tee every limitation in the programming or the visuals either, just enough to make it look somewhat genuine, hence why visual reference (paired with deeper knowledge of the console's limitations) would be appreciated.

That said, the project is paused for a while, but I'll make sure to check the Vextreme discord whenever I need to go into deeper research over the console, thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 3

On 1/15/2024 at 2:57 AM, playvectrex said:

My advice to you is to not set your goals so high for your first vectrex project. ...

Signed. As you probably know, on the Vectrex the 6809 processor running at 1MHz doesn't perform just calculations but has to direct the elecronic beam, too. And drawing must happen quite often - otherwise screen will flicker due to low frame rate (you can see this in CleanSweep or in Flipper Pinball, for example). This limits down the number of vectors drawn on the Vectrex very much. And it's not easy to draw a human with a (very) limited number of vector, only, on the Vectrex. This might be even the reason why Spike, the mascot of the Vectrex, is a fictional figure and not a human.

Some games with animated humans that come to my mind:

- Vector Blade*: Intro scene with human

- Get that beer* (very playable and enjoyable platform game)

- Floor is lava* (great game but simple human graphic)

- VecFu (Karate fighting)

*Game can be played online via JSVec.

Good luck in your endevour, skeleboy, I'm nosey to see your first drafts or even results one day!

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:43 PM, Skeleboy said:

Thanks for the kind words :D but I don't intend to program for the Vectrex, just to emulate its visuals on a PC game! I've put Vector Patrol as an example because its visuals are really appealing and would fit a platformer game (something like Super Mario Bros) perfectly. I wanted other examples since I want my game to look like something you'd actually see on Vectrex, else it might look too fake to those that know the console well. I don't actually plan to follow to a tee every limitation in the programming or the visuals either, just enough to make it look somewhat genuine, hence why visual reference (paired with deeper knowledge of the console's limitations) would be appreciated.

That said, the project is paused for a while, but I'll make sure to check the Vextreme discord whenever I need to go into deeper research over the console, thanks for the recommendation!

Oh, well that changes things I suppose :D I don't know your skill level, but for some inspiration have a look at how far you might be able to take the insanity:

• Like 2