IGNORED

Somewhat new C64

eightbit

35 minutes ago, Grimm1966 said:

I got the ARMSid in and I do like it much better.  For my ears the original SID has off-putting sounds sometimes where the sound is harsh for want of a better term.  The music on Commando is a good example.  The ARMSid sounds more mellow and easier on my ears. 

I love it. I have tested many, but the ARMSid is the only one that I feel really does the job right. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remowilliams said:

I had a SwinSID in my 'daily driver' C64C (which has a 250407 board in it, for Kawari use) but it didn't sound quite right even to my tin ears.

I replaced it with a BackSID last year which sounds quite nice : )

I would imagine it does. Evie does amazing things!

It's the one SID replacement I never tried.

Nice - my childhood C64 has had a similar treatment... many of the internal parts have been swapped with modern replacements.  I need to look into that Kawaii board - that looks sweet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laner said:

Nice - my childhood C64 has had a similar treatment... many of the internal parts have been swapped with modern replacements.  I need to look into that Kawaii board - that looks sweet. 

The board is incredibly awesome in so many ways. First ever VIC-II reimplementation being first and foremost as the original chips are dying. Also awesome in the fact that it can simulate multiple revisions of the VIC-II (PAL & NTSC) on one machine essentially making your C64 be either one you desire...on the fly! You can also change the color pallet which is something that was hard coded in the original VIC-II. You can have different color profiles, etc. Plus there have been improvements/additions such as 80 column text mode and new graphics modes. 

I can't wait to see what people create with the new modes on this thing.

As for compatibility, I can say that right out of the box (with no adjustments at all) it is just a clean looking VIC-II. I have had zero issues and I threw a LOT of software at it :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Given all the talk about replacements, I have to wonder, at what point is a c64 no longer a true c64? New sid, new pla, new vic, new cias, new motherboard. Where is the line drawn? One chip replaced? All of them? Half of them?

I get that the chips fail.and in those cases I'm glad we have replacements. But I also see people flat out replacing all of them before they even fail, and sometimes a new PCB as well. 

17 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Given all the talk about replacements, I have to wonder, at what point is a c64 no longer a true c64? New sid, new pla, new vic, new cias, new motherboard. Where is the line drawn? One chip replaced? All of them? Half of them?

I get that the chips fail.and in those cases I'm glad we have replacements. But I also see people flat out replacing all of them before they even fail, and sometimes a new PCB as well. 

This is a philosophical debate which arises for every platform without any definitive answer.  Is my C64Reloaded a Commodore 64?  Is my Ultimate64?  What about THEC64 Mini or Maxi?  These are all recreation which act precisely like one, some more than others?  Does replacing chips with modern equivalents corrupt the soul of the system, or that it runs on the same mainboard save it?  What about a modern reworked mainboard but with original chips?

These and other questions to be answered by each one of us, but never in consensus.

Back in the 90s, I got myself banned from a couple of BBSes and IRC channels for asking about UAE.  Now, I am considered a fool by some for using original hardware with real floppy disks.

Does anyone replace the 6510 yet? What about ROM chips, modern RAM replacements? I suppose in concept a Commodore 64 with all its parts replaced by modern counterparts still may qualify, but then again so would a strict software emulator. While I'm not into vintage cars, I would assume the same debate goes on there, as old metal gets rusty and dinged, and other parts disintegrate over time.

There's also the question how much an original condition C64 (or any other computer, preferably one that didn't sell more than 10 million copies) will be worth in the future, if it is dead as stone, might be leaking from whichever capacitor is inside it, and has no other purpose than for display. Will a different machine that has been taken care of and has been served with new equivalent replacement parts so it still is fully functional, be worth more? Will anyone 20 years from now even care about a Commodore 64?

26 minutes ago, carlsson said:

modern RAM replacements?

I have seen at least one RAM replacement in the wild.

26 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Will anyone 20 years from now even care about a Commodore 64?

Yes.

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Does anyone replace the 6510 yet? What about ROM chips, modern RAM replacements? I suppose in concept a Commodore 64 with all its parts replaced by modern counterparts still may qualify, but then again so would a strict software emulator. While I'm not into vintage cars, I would assume the same debate goes on there, as old metal gets rusty and dinged, and other parts disintegrate over time.

There's also the question how much an original condition C64 (or any other computer, preferably one that didn't sell more than 10 million copies) will be worth in the future, if it is dead as stone, might be leaking from whichever capacitor is inside it, and has no other purpose than for display. Will a different machine that has been taken care of and has been served with new equivalent replacement parts so it still is fully functional, be worth more? Will anyone 20 years from now even care about a Commodore 64?

The 6510 can be replaced with a 6502 and a board that adds the additional instructions (what I did) which is a good solution as the 6502 is much more readily available:

https://monotech.fwscart.com/product/mos-cpu-replacer-(6510-8501)

And, there is a complete replacement in the works from Jani (who also created the modern replacement CIA's in my machine):

https://1nt3r.net/j-cpu/

And Eslapion (same person who created the PLAnkton) creates this SaRuMan-64 static ram replacement (which I have on order):

https://www.protovision.games/shop/product_info.php?products_id=255

And my KERNAL, CHARACTER and BASIC roms have been replaced with CornBits, which are programmable as well:

https://store.backbit.io/product/cornbit/

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 3

The instructions should already be available in the 6502 as long as it's an NMOS version. A 65C02 will kind of work but will not be very compatible as it lacks a lot of illegal opcodes.

The extra logic on the MOS CPU replacer replicates the extra i/o port and tri-state mode for the busses.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:40 AM, carlsson said:

Additional instructions? Do you mean the I/O registers at address 0, 1 or that the 6510 generally supports more undocumented opcodes than most real 6502 do? I know that 65C02 and alike cut off those instructions.

Exactly. I meant to say I/O registers, not instructions. 

It's nice to be able to use the common 6502 as a replacement. The 6510 is getting very difficult (and pricey) to obtain. 

Heh. The Plus/4 folks are saying "FINALLY!" since they've for years had a challenge to find replacements for their 7501 and 8501 CPUs. I know @brain (?) has an adapter that lets them use a 6502 for that too, and now slowly the C64 people are starting to catch up, though it took 40 years for the 6510's to break in the same numbers that it took a handful of years for the other models to break.

• Like 1

The 6510 is probably getting more expensive because they have been used as 7501/8501 replacements by the same Plus/4 folks. Hopefully that won't need to continue much longer.

I'm not sure how compatible the MOS replacer is with the 7501/8501 though. I've had some problems with them but I'm not sure how genuine my 6502A's are. I will need to test it some more.