IGNORED

Could the 7800 handle Road Rash as well as the SMS?

KrunchyTC

The SMS got an amazing port of RR. And there are games on the 7800 that kinda give you a glimpse of what RR would look like on the console. Fatal Run has the hilly roads like Road Rash has, and FR runs really smoothly too. Maybe those of you that know the inner workings of the 7800 have some idea of what a RR port would look/run like.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:48 PM, KrunchyTC said:

The SMS got an amazing port of RR. And there are games on the 7800 that kinda give you a glimpse of what RR would look like on the console. Fatal Run has the hilly roads like Road Rash has, and FR runs really smoothly too. Maybe those of you that know the inner workings of the 7800 have some idea of what a RR port would look/run like.

Wow I never knew the SMS got Road Rash.

Digital Foundry did a 2 hour long video on Road Rash, and showed how the Genesis did the graphics. And knowing how the 7800 works, if you had modern well made tools like the ones made by the awesome dudes here, I know the 7800 could do Road Rash similarly well as the Master System.

Edited by KrunchyTC

1 hour ago, KrunchyTC said:

Digital Foundry did a 2 hour long video on Road Rash, and showed how the Genesis did the graphics. And knowing how the 7800 works, if you had modern well made tools like the ones made by the awesome dudes here, I know the 7800 could do Road Rash similarly well as the Master System.

There have been comments in their vids describing how they are getting things wrong by graphics guys/programmers and their explanations make a bit of sense. So I don't know how gospel DF Retro's analysis should be taken. But its probably close enough. 

However comparing how both systems do similar things is probably as good as anything else.

23 hours ago, JagChris said:

There have been comments in their vids describing how they are getting things wrong by graphics guys/programmers and their explanations make a bit of sense. So I don't know how gospel DF Retro's analysis should be taken. But its probably close enough. 

However comparing how both systems do similar things is probably as good as anything else.

Ah yes, good point!

I'm comparing how Fatal Run, and Motorpsycho look, and how much they could be improved based on the insane level of visual/performance improvements new games have achieved. And the fact that those games appear to be doing similar things to get the rolling hills look that RR has. I think it's doable.

38 minutes ago, KrunchyTC said:

Ah yes, good point!

I'm comparing how Fatal Run, and Motorpsycho look, and how much they could be improved based on the insane level of visual/performance improvements new games have achieved. And the fact that those games appear to be doing similar things to get the rolling hills look that RR has. I think it's doable.

Unless they're in scrolling pseudo scaling 3D I'm not sure how accurate eyeballing would be. But since it seems that Motor Psycho goes a bit faster than Road Rash the extra speed could probably be sacrificed for scaling landscapes. And it seems motor psycho is already doing some hill like maneuvers in it.

14 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

And Motorpsycho goes more extreme with the hills, hitting the top of the screen lol maybe sacrifice a bit of the performance for more scenery, the framerate would match the genesis version anyway.

Well not the Genesis version but the SMS.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:59 AM, JagChris said:

Wow I never knew the SMS got Road Rash.

It was ported to Game Gear by Probe and Game Boy by Ocean.  The SMS game was a PAL release only, and of course, in Brazil where the SMS was still going strong.  The GG/SMS version looks decent, but plays as slow and dull as Motor Psycho.  The 7800 doesn't hardware scroll, so it's going to be very tough, especially with trying to display backgrounds and whatnot.  I think the game would look and run terrible.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

It was ported to Game Gear by Probe and Game Boy by Ocean.  The SMS game was a PAL release only, and of course, in Brazil where the SMS was still going strong.  The GG/SMS version looks decent, but plays as slow and dull as Motor Psycho.  The 7800 doesn't hardware scroll, so it's going to be very tough, especially with trying to display backgrounds and whatnot.  I think the game would look and run terrible.

It looks to me like Motor psycho is faster than the SMS version of RR. But without landscapes. But its really going crazy with the horizon at times. The 7800 might surprise us if an attempt had been made. They would have needed motivated devs though. No Atari cheap crap.. Too bad we may never know.

As for how entertaining it is I can't speak to that. Someone above thinks its a great port. So opinions vary.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 7:48 AM, KrunchyTC said:

Well,  one of Carl Mey's first projects as technical director for E. A in 1989,was creating a banked road effect, planned for a brand new NES racing game and as impressive as the road-scaling effect was, banking would be beyond the NES capabilities, so he moved the concept onto the Sega MD  and thus Road Rash was born. 

On 12/30/2023 at 5:20 PM, KrunchyTC said:

Yup, and a really impressive version to boot!

It is indeed, Probe pulled off a minor miracle, yes it's not as fast or smooth as the MD and sound is weaker, but considering the hardware differences, it's an amazing achievement. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JagChris said:

It looks to me like Motor psycho is faster than the SMS version of RR. But without landscapes. But its really going crazy with the horizon at times. The 7800 might surprise us if an attempt had been made. They would have needed motivated devs though. No Atari cheap crap.. Too bad we may never know.

As for how entertaining it is I can't speak to that. Someone above thinks its a great port. So opinions vary.

I'm ALL in on more 7800 racing games. Would love to see just about anything.  Just don't think you can make something on par with SMS with background scrolling like that.  Doesn't need to be though.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I'm ALL in on more 7800 racing games. Would love to see just about anything.  Just don't think you can make something on par with SMS with background scrolling like that.  Doesn't need to be though.  

No it doesn't need to be.

But lack of hardware support for something doesn't mean it can't do it. Its already it doing the hills. Now we need to pretty them up like Space Harrier. Make the landscape bands a darker green.

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

No it doesn't need to be.

But lack of hardware support for something doesn't mean it can't do it. Its already it doing the hills. Now we need to pretty them up like Space Harrier. Make the landscape bands a darker green.

Thinking about it, maybe we should get Space Harrier on 7800 first 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's all 3 together. 

They can be compared doing nearly the exact same thing.

For some reason the SNES/SMS is using checkerboards. Atari 800XL uses bands.Was there any improvement in 7800 Ballblazer over the 800XL version? 

Edited by JagChris