IGNORED

Could the 7800 handle Road Rash as well as the SMS?

KrunchyTC

9 hours ago, JagChris said:

It wouldn't be like the SMS. It would be similar and different but would definitely be Road Rash. And I think that would be great. Hell that's a lot of what I like about the early eras. The diversity. For some reason its always been interesting to me.

As things get later and later they seem to blend together to me. 

These days, the tribalism among game system factions has gotten worse even as the consoles themselves have become so similar in what they are capable of that you have to have specialized technical analysts like Digital Foundry doing benchmarks and magnifying the images to spot the incredibly minute differences. Playstation and Xbox customers seem to hate each other with a passion even though their systems have mostly indistinguishable capabilities. As a kid, I had similar debates with owners of the rival systems back then but they were more good-natured and although we had our own favorites, we would also borrow each other's consoles and games for a week at a time and enjoy the games on the other systems we didn't have. The differences between the consoles were noticeable and interesting, with each system having a distinctive set of strengths and weaknesses. Nowadays I'm just thankful for them all, and for the engineers and designers who made such compelling creative platforms.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, JagChris said:

It wouldn't be like the SMS. It would be similar and different but would definitely be Road Rash. And I think that would be great. Hell that's a lot of what I like about the early eras. The diversity. For some reason its always been interesting to me.

In the early days, they'd hire a programmer to do ports for different platforms, and those ports would be as unique as the programmers coding them.    Nowadays most ports are built from the same codebase,  the graphics and sound come from the same source, scaled down as necessary

It is fun to compare older ports,  newer game comparisons are like "oh this system dropped a few frames here, or there's crushed blacks in the shadows there..."    Stuff most people won't even notice while playing!

• Like 1

In the 80s I loved the simple type in graphic programs that had a version for each of the popular micro computers. Written by the same programmer, Joey Latimer or whoever and each with a similar but also completely unique result. I enjoyed seeing those differences. 

• Like 1