IGNORED

Question about The!Cart Studio

IntellivisionDude

I'm a new owner of a Xegs and i have been messing around with roms. I also own a Backbit Flash Cart for it. 

I was using the Maxflash Cartridge Studio to convert some roms. Evie helped me out with it. I had some games that were not working right but if i exported them to Car Maxflash 8mbit some of them started working which is great. But i wanted to see if i could do something similar with The!Cart Studio, plus it can import games that Maxflash can't. But i don't know the correct way to export them. There are a lot more options to choose from. And i have no experience in this at all. I could just keep choosing options until something works but thought i'd ask here first. 

Here are all the options. Not sure if any of them are similar to what i was choosing with Maxflash. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QabdS2EUx7NQpiev7

On a side note, i was trying to sign up to the Maxflash forums but can't seem to get in. I see some files shared i wanted to try. I signed up but can't seem to get the confirmation email. Thought maybe my email could be at fault so i tried again with a different username and email but still can't get the darned email.

Nothing in my spam folder either. They must have that place all locked up. lol

The!Cart Studio and it menu system only works for The!Cart. The options for Atarimax are intended for the direct conversion of binary to ".CAR" files in Atarimax format. They are not helpful for you.

Ah, i see. Oh well. The files i was messing with were .car files with multiple games in them but they wouldn't open with the Backbit and said invalid format. Since the Backbit can run .car something else must be up with them. I was going to try and convert them anyway and see if that did anything but Maxflash won't open them. 

More than likely the games in them i already have elsewhere. But it is fascinating to see these little collections and see what games they chose. 🙂

.car is a general container format and can contain different types of cartridges. No hardware will emulate all of them (new ones are created as you read this).

So it depends on the Backbit specs which will work and which won't.

https://github.com/atari800/atari800/blob/master/DOC/cart.txt

I have been having decent luck with the Backbit. I did have a set of roms i found that were in .xex format (about 4,500 roms) and barely anything was loading. But i used Maxflash Cartridge Studio to convert them all in mass with the method i mentioned above. I made a whole bunch of files that had anywhere between 20 and 70 games per file. But so many games started working. Not everything though but quite a few. I was figuring the ones that didn't load could of been Pal games. Some would load to a title screen but i couldn't get any further. 

Funny thing is i found a different set of roms that are also in .xex format and most of those load with no issues.