IGNORED

Altirra 4.20 released

phaeron

22 minutes ago, dmsc said:

I suspect that under XEP it is the same as current Altirra, the rightmost column stays empty.

I'd have to check what character results, but yes, the XEP80 doesn't use OLDCHR either as the cursor is managed on the XEP80 by hardware cursor. That being said, the XEP80 also does other weird things, like extending logical lines on move right.

Altirra could also use OLDCHR/OLDROW/OLDCOL, it just doesn't right now because the existing virtual screen implementation was based around a hardware-style cursor instead of a framebuffer cursor. It's just getting composited, though, so no reason it couldn't. This was already on my radar because it's also necessary to correctly emulate some weirdnesses when S: is used to target GR.0, which is popular in BASIC games. Some even do weirder things like draw lines in GR.0.

2 hours ago, scotty said:

Avery, Is it possible to add a feature to save device firmware settings, so that if you install Altirra on another computer or re-install on a crashed hard drive it would be a lot easier than going through and installing them by hand?   I know there is the scan feature, but there are some stuff it does not detect.

Does the "portable install" Altirra.ini trick not work for this? I've been keeping Altirra and most Atari related stuff on a Google Drive mapped to G: so I can hop between devices easy peasy

2 hours ago, dmsc said:

Yes, on the VBXE it puts the wrong character, but still it shows "some symbol" to indicate the line continuation, so it is mostly ok:

It is, as you wrote, "wrong character", though. This means that this trick is of no use to the CP/M terminal, which must print whatever a CP/M app wants printed there, and not just "some symbol to indicate the line continuation".

Of course, one can emulate OLDCHR by converting its value to and fro (ATASCII<>internal code), but I am quite reluctant because a) it is pure waste of runtime in most cases, b) and especially it would be on a device where the cursor is implemented in hardware thus no form of OLDCHR is needed at all (XEP).

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.30-test17.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.30-test17-src.7z

Adds support for J(atari)Cart and DCart cartridge types.

All of the new cartridge types of 128K or above are flashable. The flash configuration is not well defined for these types, so they have been mapped as follows:

• J(atari)Cart 128K: 39SF010 on 256K board (6 bit banking)
  • J(atari)Cart 256K: 39SF020 on 256K board (6 bit banking)
  • J(atari)Cart 512K: 39SF040 + empty socket on 1MB board (8 bit banking)
  • J(atari)Cart 1MB: 2 x 39SF040 on 1MB board (8 bit banking)
  • DCart: 39SF040
  • Like 8

Not logging as a  bug report, just in case they are dud images. Tried the new JACASRT support, a file called Eclipses JACART 512 booted fine. But 2 other files that I think I got off a thread on here Test JACART 32 and 64, both caused crashdumps. An acid DART booted to a ready prompt., I presume it works?

Anyone have links to a few more test versions of these carts as CAR?

PS, Avery, get some sleep, the beta's have been flying out :)

Thank you

Paul..

Edit. Posting dump and used cart files just in case..

AltirraCrash.rar Test_JACART_32.car Test_JACART_64.car

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.30-test18.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.30-test18-src.7z

• Fixed J(Atari)Cart banking crash with <128K images.
  • Added banked debugging support for J(Atari)Cart.

22 hours ago, Jacques said:

Any chance to do it? @phaeron, please? ;)

Do what? I don't use either Linux or an RPi. If you want to try the ARM64 build on Wine, be my guest, but I'm not porting to it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, phaeron said:

Do what? I don't use either Linux or an RPi. If you want to try the ARM64 build on Wine, be my guest, but I'm not porting to it.

Fair enough, just thought you might have checked such scenario.

I'll let everyone know in case of success ;)

Edited by Jacques

Avery, it has been brought to my attention that a part (@ 03:20) of brand new cool demo Rewind 2 is different in Altirra.

With Altirra (and on real hardware with Sophia 2 conected to RGB monitor) there are tiny blue horizontal lines (please magnify Altirra's screenshot).

On real hardware with s-video and CRT there aren't those lines.

Thanks!

Rewind2Altrirra.png.d095f83c29004c02aefc5b0e79eef716.png Rewind2Realhardware.thumb.jpg.bbc6983535e26076b72c3f4b63c65d66.jpg

8 hours ago, Philsan said:

Avery, it has been brought to my attention that a part (@ 03:20) of brand new cool demo Rewind 2 is different in Altirra.

With Altirra (and on real hardware with Sophia 2 conected to RGB monitor) there are tiny blue horizontal lines (please magnify Altirra's screenshot).

On real hardware with s-video and CRT there aren't those lines.

I don't have a machine that can run this demo, but I mocked up the display list and DLIs and got single-line high stripes, which then would get blended to two-line in PAL. The DLI handler is deliberately doing this, ostensibly to apply a slight gradient for depth. Did the machine without stripes by any chance have a VBXE in it?

The demo is using a trick where a missile is locked on for longer than usual. This is what it looks like with emulation of this enabled and disabled, with PAL artifacting enabled. Notice the difference in color.

image.thumb.png.b914a4df545dc754ff6348c68b794238.pngimage.thumb.png.abe0d2afc54deb5cccd0af8c4f582905.png

Thanks for looking at this issue.

With my machine, PAL 800XL connected to Commodore 1084S monitor with s-video, no tiny blue lines.

With another machine of mine, PAL 800XL with Sophia 2 connected to the same monitor, there are the lines like in Altirra emulator.

In this video, made by someone with a PAL 800XE + VBXE, no lines. https://youtu.be/UuWEEms1IX4?si=1s3EPsH7WSyM9uk-&t=213 BTW, big scrolling bars are grey, I think they should be blue like in Altirra and in my stock hardware.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:33 PM, Philsan said:

Thanks for looking at this issue.

With my machine, PAL 800XL connected to Commodore 1084S monitor with s-video, no tiny blue lines.

With another machine of mine, PAL 800XL with Sophia 2 connected to the same monitor, there are the lines like in Altirra emulator.

In this video, made by someone with a PAL 800XE + VBXE, no lines. https://youtu.be/UuWEEms1IX4?si=1s3EPsH7WSyM9uk-&t=213 BTW, big scrolling bars are grey, I think they should be blue like in Altirra and in my stock hardware.

Can you provide a good quality picture from the 1084S? The reason I mention VBXE is that it is known not to emulate the trick that this demo is using, so that would be expected.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phaeron said:

Can you provide a good quality picture from the 1084S? The reason I mention VBXE is that it is known not to emulate the trick that this demo is using, so that would be expected.

This is a picture from my 1084S connected with s-video 800XL. Colors seems ok.

Isn't it ok?

PXL_20240717_182443339_MP.thumb.jpg.41794a9d192e09055658241a105ce766.jpg

PXL_20240717_173354909_MP.thumb.jpg.2920eea176294ea1823410474f950e5d.jpg

1 hour ago, patjomki said:

Is support for Sophia2 especially bi-color high resolution graphics planned for any future version of Altirra?

I probably mentioned it elsewhere, but I'd also vote for that. It's not only the bi-color highres, but also proper interlace mode that it has, and generally having Sophia2 emulation would allow for quicker testing of Sophia calls in software (not a common thing to explicitly interface to Sophia from one's programs, but I in fact did that in Popeye). At the same time, my experience is that despite a simple interface it has some quirks too (which by now I have forgotten what they were). 

19 hours ago, Philsan said:

This is a picture from my 1084S connected with s-video 800XL. Colors seems ok.

Isn't it ok?

PXL_20240717_182443339_MP.thumb.jpg.41794a9d192e09055658241a105ce766.jpg

I don't understand what difference you're referring to anymore. You said that there were no blue lines on your actual hardware, but they're very clearly in the picture above...?

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

I don't mean the big scrolling horizonthal bars, I mean steady one pixel high lines that there are every four pixels. Those tiny lines are in Altirra but not on my real hardware.

Rewind2.png.5b40638090231002502fa4d93865c025.png Rewind2Zoom.png.bd5dd476c72787cd41d4d6e3ad0928d2.png

...They're these? You've been implying that the blue lines aren't showing up, and they clearly are:

image.png.427d0b2f6138b207f66f661f1c43a009.png

Turn on PAL artifacting on Altirra, and you will see those single lines of chroma get averaged to double lines like your display is doing (which not all displays are guaranteed to do).

In fact with PAL artifacting tiny blue lines aren't visible and image is like my monitor and s-video, thanks!

Altirra screenshots with PAL artifacting and without PAL artifacting

Rewind2withPALartifacting-2.thumb.png.671a52d880e711ada321338f85e9ae1a.png Rewind2withoutPALartifacting-2.thumb.png.713afcc1f3d1ea1b50123ff674dad168.png

With PAL artifacting colors are better but still different:

Rewind2withPALartifacting-2.thumb.png.671a52d880e711ada321338f85e9ae1a.png  Rewind21084Ss-video.thumb.jpg.212c5031af98c46faeeabaec1fe38025.jpg

Is my monitor well calibrated?

AtariControlPicture.thumb.jpg.02e0a5904ebd3079f158a6f4966f2567.jpg

47 minutes ago, Philsan said:

With PAL artifacting colors are better but still different:

Is my monitor well calibrated?

You'll have to experiment with the settings in Adjust Colors. This is a tough case because of the reliance on blended colors and high saturation. You can try this profile as a starting point.

test.atcolors

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:11 AM, woj said:

I probably mentioned it elsewhere, but I'd also vote for that. It's not only the bi-color highres, but also proper interlace mode that it has, and generally having Sophia2 emulation would allow for quicker testing of Sophia calls in software

I am afraid @phaeron didn't recognize our requests but testing sophia2 code in wudsn+altirra would be fantastic.