IGNORED

Altirra 4.20 released

phaeron

Hi!

Thanks for the new version!

I discovered a compatibility problem with the ALtirraOS mathpack and the MAC65 version from here: https://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/media/atr/OSS Mac-65 4.2.atr

When you activate the "auto-number" (with NUM or with ENTER #,A), the line entry fails:

image.thumb.png.682ea7900b891fd0a467deb23754f0ed.png

This is because MAC65 calls AFP two times in a row, and expects that when the conversion fails the value of FR0 is left as is. AltirraOS clears FR0 at the start, before checking if the next character is a valid one, so MAC65 sees an invalid line number and errors out.

Looking at the AFP code, sadly this is not an easy fix :(, as there is only one byte available in that part.

Have Fun!

• Like 2

Many thanks for this new version.

I wonder if I could ask if a keyboard shortcut to "System->Warp Speed" could be added in the next update/version.

I use "Warp Speed" quite a lot when developing programs and it would be great if I could toggle it with a keyboard shortcut

thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mono said:

Altirra Hardware Reference Manual released at 2023-10-09. On page 70 in section "Mode lines unusual height" we have got "For IR mode 2, rows 8-9 are blanked for characters $00-5F and $80-BF(...)" - shouldn't it be $DF?

Ah yeah, that's a typo, I'll fix that.

9 hours ago, mono said:

On the page 77 in the section "Dynamic changes to playfield width" - there is "The playfield width bits in DMACTL[1:0], and the horizontal scroll position bits in HSCROL[3:1](...)", but I think it should be HSCROL[3:0].

No, that's correct. HSCROL[3:1] shifts the playfield DMA start and stop positions, but HSCROL[0] switches on and off a separate 1 color clock delay in the graphics output path to GTIA. Only HSCROL[3:1] can move playfield DMA cycles, affect the number of times that the memory scan counter increments per line, or corrupt the playfield DMA clock; HSCROL[0] can never do so.

• Like 5

Hi,

I have upgraded to 4.20, but I am now having issues using the MIO device in the emulator. No matter which firmware I attempt to use, the device comes up with 0K ram available and won't function.

I have tried the emulator in portable mode and with the default registry mode with no change in the ram warning.

I believe it worked in 4.10, but it has been some time since I used this device and I did not try it in my 4.10 install before upgrading to 4.20.

I am probably just missing something simple. If this is just a case of RTFM, please let me know.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:26 PM, dmsc said:

Hi!

Thanks for the new version!

I discovered a compatibility problem with the ALtirraOS mathpack and the MAC65 version from here: https://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/media/atr/OSS Mac-65 4.2.atr

When you activate the "auto-number" (with NUM or with ENTER #,A), the line entry fails:

image.thumb.png.682ea7900b891fd0a467deb23754f0ed.png

This is because MAC65 calls AFP two times in a row, and expects that when the conversion fails the value of FR0 is left as is. AltirraOS clears FR0 at the start, before checking if the next character is a valid one, so MAC65 sees an invalid line number and errors out.

Looking at the AFP code, sadly this is not an easy fix :(, as there is only one byte available in that part.

Have Fun!

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to investigate. If it requires ROM space then I might have to weigh it against making TurboBasic XL work, which might also require ROM space.

1 hour ago, Kylev said:

Hi,

I have upgraded to 4.20, but I am now having issues using the MIO device in the emulator. No matter which firmware I attempt to use, the device comes up with 0K ram available and won't function.

I have tried the emulator in portable mode and with the default registry mode with no change in the ram warning.

I believe it worked in 4.10, but it has been some time since I used this device and I did not try it in my 4.10 install before upgrading to 4.20.

I am probably just missing something simple. If this is just a case of RTFM, please let me know.

Check if you have a conflicting device somewhere else, like U1MB or another hardware device. 1.1m and 1.4.2 seem to be detecting the MIO RAM fine for me:

image.thumb.png.406021fb42aa9748084070048beace69.png

On 12/30/2023 at 1:04 AM, phaeron said:

Version 4.20 final of my emulator Altirra has been released at the usual place

I have nothing to ask, I just want to express my immense gratitude for this.

You're spending so many hours for us !! That's so generous of you, because I'm sure there is a huge difference between the number of downloads and the numbers of "thank you" you receive.

This is my best Xmas present this year, no competition.

Last but not least, this is simply the best emulator. Period.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, phaeron said:

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to investigate. If it requires ROM space then I might have to weigh it against making TurboBasic XL work, which might also require ROM space.

Check if you have a conflicting device somewhere else, like U1MB or another hardware device. 1.1m and 1.4.2 seem to be detecting the MIO RAM fine for me:

image.thumb.png.406021fb42aa9748084070048beace69.png

phaeron,

Thank you. I will check and reconfirm. Your emulator is the best. I knew it had to be something I was doing wrong.

• Like 1

I have resolved my problem with MIO. Seems there was some corruption in my registry. I clear out the Windows registry for references to Altirra, deleted my installed versions, installed a fresh version of 4.20, ran it in portable mode and I am now able use the emulated MIO device succesfully.

Awesome! Is there anything special I'd need to do to emulate some of the more obscure accessories I just discovered, like the CX-77 pen input tablet and Atari Artist cart or the Trak-Ball Controller in trackball mode as opposed to the usual joystick emulation mode? Or does the Trak-Ball in its native trackball mode simply "look" to software like a set of paddle controllers?

A huge thank you for all your hard work!

6 hours ago, yetanothertroll said:

Awesome! Is there anything special I'd need to do to emulate some of the more obscure accessories I just discovered, like the CX-77 pen input tablet and Atari Artist cart or the Trak-Ball Controller in trackball mode as opposed to the usual joystick emulation mode? Or does the Trak-Ball in its native trackball mode simply "look" to software like a set of paddle controllers?

All controllers can be set up in the Input Map dialog. Not all of the supported controllers have predefined input maps, in order to keep the default list sane. You can create predefined maps for other controller types or input combinations through the Presets > Create From Template button.

The Atari Touch Tablet is supported, however the Trak-Ball is not -- only the 5200 trackball is supported.

• Thanks 1