IGNORED

Altirra 4.20 released

phaeron

1 hour ago, phaeron said:

ŹąźćŚęöÖ£üߣłŃńóÓѴĘśäÜĆĄŻÄż

...but would appreciate it if any Polish speakers could point out if they spot any mappings that are incorrect. Ѵ is the one I'm least sure about as it visually differs the most between the printer and computer font

The Polish part of it looks correct (full confidence level w.r.t. being native Polish, less confidence due to reading it on a phone and having a bad cold). For the V like letter - I don't think that's it either (it is not one of Polish diacritics), it looks more like a V with the small v accent...?

6 hours ago, woj said:

The Polish part of it looks correct (full confidence level w.r.t. being native Polish, less confidence due to reading it on a phone and having a bad cold). For the V like letter - I don't think that's it either (it is not one of Polish diacritics), it looks more like a V with the small v accent...?

That's why I had to cross-reference it against the ATASCII chart on Atariki, since often those were more readable -- but in this case it looks quite different:

image.png.54c5fda273d7f701e86ec31509435dd1.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can get a massive collection of .CAS files.  I tried some of the ones I have and they seem corrupt as I can run some of them and they just give the broken dialog box (As shown below). 

Here is Popeye and when I load the cassette this is what I get...  See the crashing dialog? I get this on quite a few .CAS files.  Some work and some won't.  So I would love to get a collection of .CAS files that actually work.

OH and yes, I have Popeye on ATR, but my point was just to show you the error I am getting...

image.thumb.png.8b92d2ed7deb28da92f569138e00a4d5.png

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Tim Stone said:

Does anyone know where I can get a massive collection of .CAS files.  I tried some of the ones I have and they seem corrupt as I can run some of them and they just give the broken dialog box (As shown below). 

Here is Popeye and when I load the cassette this is what I get...  See the crashing dialog? I get this on quite a few .CAS files.  Some work and some won't.  So I would love to get a collection of .CAS files that actually work.

OH and yes, I have Popeye on ATR, but my point was just to show you the error I am getting...

image.thumb.png.8b92d2ed7deb28da92f569138e00a4d5.png

Iron Turbo is a tape loading system from Poland. It is likely to require PAL models and the XL/XE computer with 64 KB of RAM.

I found a copy of this tape and it looks pretty broken. There are two red flags:

• It says Iron Turbo, but there is nothing special about the tape encoding. It uses standard 600 baud, 128 byte record encoding. Iron Turbo is supposed to be 1200 bps according to Atariki.
  • The crucial problem is that there is insufficient gap time between the fifth and sixth blocks. The loader re-opens the C device at this point, which causes the OS cassette handler to skip 10 seconds of leader. This misses several data blocks.

Inserting a 10 second gap using the Tape Editor makes the tape work, but that suggests that the tape image is broken unless it was meant to be used with a loader that patches or replaces the cassette routines. This is unfortunately not uncommon in Atari tape archives, due to older emulators that take a lot of liberties with how they emulate reading tapes.

6 hours ago, phaeron said:

I found a copy of this tape and it looks pretty broken. There are two red flags:

• It says Iron Turbo, but there is nothing special about the tape encoding. It uses standard 600 baud, 128 byte record encoding. Iron Turbo is supposed to be 1200 bps according to Atariki.
  • The crucial problem is that there is insufficient gap time between the fifth and sixth blocks. The loader re-opens the C device at this point, which causes the OS cassette handler to skip 10 seconds of leader. This misses several data blocks.

Inserting a 10 second gap using the Tape Editor makes the tape work, but that suggests that the tape image is broken unless it was meant to be used with a loader that patches or replaces the cassette routines. This is unfortunately not uncommon in Atari tape archives, due to older emulators that take a lot of liberties with how they emulate reading tapes.

Okay, thank you.  I thought it wasn't the emulator because I have a lot of these broken tapes.  I had a kid around the block who had a tape drive, but I have always used CARTS and Disks so I was unfamiliar with how it worked.  Actually looked on YouTube to figure it out.  These load much faster than the real ones.  A lot of the tapes I have are like this.  There are ones that work with ones that are corrupted. I knew it wasn't the emulator, but I wanted to find a complete collection of tapes somewhere that actually were vetted and worked.  

Why?  Just because tapes are unique as they can have audio right and that's something I would be interested in collecting and maybe there is something on tape that wasn't on disk.

I will see if a 10 second gap between block 5 and 6 will make this one work. I will try that.

In the meantime does anyone have a collection of tapes they can zip up that work?  I have the homes collection too, but it's small and some of them also don't work.

Edited by Tim Stone

Both Popeye's are the iron turbo and of course don't work...I rarely use tape images, could not wait to get a disk drive back then...Apart from Avery, Baktra is our resident tape God..He might be able to link some place..

Re Popeye tape..

After a tiny bit of thought, unless someone deliberately made a cas version then you will probably draw a blank as it was a cartridge, people often dump the cart to an XEX or ATR, but to CAS might be seen as a step back. From nigh instant load to 10 mins + :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

2 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

My pleasure, but there's dupes galore and I'm sure, more non workers..

My apologies for that, tapes were never my thing..

It's not a problem really with the dupes.  That's okay, maybe some will work and others won't.  It's only a 16 megabyte file that is downloadable.  I remember when certain disks took overnight back in the day to download.

One floppy could take 24 hours with like 300 baud back in 1984/1985.

Thank you so much.  I just had a few and a lot of them were corrupted and I was looking for a complete collection.  I hated tapes back in the day too. I thought they were a waste, but now with this emulator you can boot it in seconds and not wait an hour.  That's the beauty of emulation right?  I mean back in the day we had to have thousands and thousands of floppies to store everything, now I can put them easily on a thumb drive and call it a day.

PROGRESS!!! I LOVE IT!!!! :) hehehhe

Thank you again!  That made me happy!

Without going in to a long boring story, I built a 300 BAUD modem and downloaded Buck Rogers from a certain well known pirate, and yes, even a file took forever. I don't think I could have lasted a 90k download :)

As for making you happy, that's what we do here, just a large collection of like-minded folk who, I can attest, are some of the most helpful and generous people I've met in life..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tim Stone said:

In the meantime does anyone have a collection of tapes they can zip up that work?  I have the homes collection too, but it's small and some of them also don't work.

The 8-bit software preservation collection contains a lot of tapes. They should be fairly-well verified. You can get a ZIP of the latest version here: Atari 8-bit Software Preservation

AtariOnline.pl also offers all their files in a single ZIP. There should be quite a few tapes in their collection too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrFish said:

The 8-bit software preservation collection contains a lot of tapes. They should be fairly-well verified. You can get a ZIP of the latest version here: Atari 8-bit Software Preservation

AtariOnline.pl also offers all their files in a single ZIP. There should be quite a few tapes in their collection too.

Thank you. I will check all of this out.