IGNORED

1040 STf FDD soldered

Hey guys,

I'm new to the ST series and wound up with an 1040 STf. Is it correct that the floppy cable is soldered to the mobo? That just seems rather odd to me. I had planned to replace the FDD with a Gotek, yanking on the cable only destroyed the cable and connector. Sigh. Now my plan is to de-solder the 34 pin and replace it with a 34 pin header that I can add and remove the FDD cable as needed. Is there anything else I should know about this before I start?

I had replaced a cable on a Mega ST by removing the top cover of the connector and press fitting a new cable down onto the pins.  This worked.  Unfortunatley a while ago I wanted to replace the cable again and messed the pins up.  Let us know if you are able to replace the connector end with a male floppy drive pin connector.  If you find the right one I might try it on my MB.

• Like 1

I have replaced the connector on a few ST motherboards using IDC 34 pins sockets. Something like this: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/XG4C-3431?qs=hnUcNC2tU0qoaN8qO9n9Zg%3D%3D

Just be careful desoldering the existing cable: half of the pins are connected to a huge ground plane, so it’s a pain to desolder. Cutting the plastic first and then desoldering each pin gives better results.

• Like 1

Done! This was not that bad. I was hesitant to cut the original connector into pieces. While I completely agree with the 'ease of desolder' thinking I did not want to mar the mobo. I was also initially concerned that it may not be a standard 34 pin connector - some crazy Tramiel cheap-out. I did use a desoldering vacuum gun so it was pretty straight forward.

34p_1.png

34p_2.png

34p_3.png

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 3:19 PM, djglish said:

I had replaced a cable on a Mega ST by removing the top cover of the connector and press fitting a new cable down onto the pins.  This worked.  Unfortunatley a while ago I wanted to replace the cable again and messed the pins up.  Let us know if you are able to replace the connector end with a male floppy drive pin connector.  If you find the right one I might try it on my MB.

Personally, I'm amazed your pressing the ribbon cable worked. I would not even have tried that, good to know in a pinch.

Thankfully it's a standard dual pin header. Nothing special. I ordered a bunch of them some time ago. They usually come in 50 or 100 pin lengths. From there you just snip it down to the size you need. I may have ordered it on eBay or Amazo. While there are outlier mods it seems 98% of all ribbon cables use this standard - FDD/SCSI/40 pin IDE/VGA/serial.

• Like 1