IGNORED

PiTrex Elite

oracle_jedi

I assume this is all obvious to people who've been around the Vectrex a while, but a few things had me confused trying to get Elite running on the Pitrex, so I figured I'd add this note to help out any other newbies.

First, to run Elite you need to be able to plug in a keyboard to your Raspberry Pi Zero.  Since in the normal configuration the USB jacks are right up against the Vectrex housing, I replaced my 40 GPIO connector with a right-angled one.

vec1.thumb.jpg.6d1b0b8da72e13c475f287ac98076786.jpg

This is really a benefit in a number of ways.   I can now easily remove the MicroSD card without having to prize the Pi off the Pitrex.  And I can also connect a keyboard to the USB jack.

Second.  I tried a genuine Raspberry Pi keyboard since I like the small desk footprint.  But this caused Elite to hang on startup, even though the code does recognize it as a keyboard.  A standard Dell USB Windows keyboard did work.

Third.  External power.   For a while I was assuming my keyboard problem was that the Vectrex powered Pi could not handle the extra load of the USB keyboard.  The Pitrex documentation says you can add a 2.1mm centre-positive DC power jack and remove the "Power from VEC" jumper.  That approach however would also mean removing or hacking the Pitrex case.  I removed the "Power from VEC" jumper and added a two-pin dupont connector.  It fits easily inside the plastic casing.  Later I will add a small switch.

With that done I can power the Pitrex externally using a Raspberry Pi regulated USB power supply.

As it turns out I did not need to do this.  Switching back to Vectrex power with the generic Windows USB keyboard seems to work fine.

vec2.thumb.jpg.72e3fad75d8eff417fc3b8c9c9580cd8.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I think I’m having some power issues with my PiTrex as well. Powering it directly to the Pi Zero with usb-cable seems like a great idea to try. Could I trouble you with some images of the changes you made to the PiTrex-PCB and the wiring to make this work?

All I did was the right angled connector on the Pi, and the removal jumper on the PiTrex power pin.

With the jumper removed, I can power the Pi from an external USB power supply.  I use the one that came with a Pi 4.

Although for me, everything works fine when powered by the Vectrex.

vectrex.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2024 at 2:33 AM, oracle_jedi said:

All I did was the right angled connector on the Pi, and the removal jumper on the PiTrex power pin.

With the jumper removed, I can power the Pi from an external USB power supply.  I use the one that came with a Pi 4.

Although for me, everything works fine when powered by the Vectrex.

Thanks for your reply!

I tried this, and it worked fine for me too, to power it with external 5V-adapter after I removed the jumper.

However, it didn't do any difference at all for me - I have missing lines when there's a lot on the screen in World War VI, and the screen goes dark when there is speech going on in Star Wars, and some other stuff like that.

Guess I'll have to try a racap on my Vectrex next, if I want to have it sorted out.