IGNORED

Slowly building more ACC units

I have 5 more ACC boards, and I've started building the first of them (that's the one on the top). I don't have all of the chips I need to complete it yet, but over time I plan to have a total of 9 units (one is for me). I don't know how long it will take, we'll see. When they're completed, maybe I'll build another 5 (boards come in batches of 5). Who knows? It's only a shame that we don't have something like PhillyClassic anymore where I could drive up and show one off (and maybe hand some out!)

ACCUnits.thumb.JPG.61fae8b32873d56384867b3a530d7bbf.JPG

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

They provide several main features:

- Overlay video (extra sprites, 40x24 and 80x24 text, bitmap graphics modes)

- 64k-words of bankswitched RAM that's shared between video and the coprocessor

- Emulated coprocessor with a much-extended CP-1600 instruction set

- 8-bit parallel port

I chose a parallel port because it's easy to implement and easy to program. You presumably could use it to interface to lots of things with the right software.

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Thanks 1

I hasten to point out that everything needed to build one of these is available (see the attached ZIP). I'm guessing they cost $100 to $150 to make. The hardest parts to acquire are the EDAC cartridge connector and the power supply: those can take weeks or even months to acquire if they aren't in stock. I've been getting the purple parallel port jacks by buying cheap PCI parallel port cards and desoldering the connector, but you can get new ones (in black) pretty easily. I've tried finding anyone selling purple connectors to no avail. Another word of caution relates to the 7202 FIFO chip. 25ns or less will do, but some sites like Mouser demand a huge minimum order. I've had better luck at Digi-Key for getting those.

Advanced Console Component 20221217.zip

• Like 1

• 2 months later...