IGNORED

What have you PLAYED weekly tracker 2024 (ALL GENERATIONS)

Here are my times for this past week from May 13th through 19th...

sorry, again no times for this week. I'm still at converting my "Grindy Adventure" Choose-your-adventure game to the site chooseyourstory.com, and I've now converted about 65% of the material and over 56% of the chapters, though at this time I've realized that it's a bit untypical for a choose-your-story game, because it's got many chapters (nearly 400), but each of them in average is very short (only 30 words or so), and there is an open world where you can go freely back and forth between locations. It's actually more similar to an 80's text adventure game on a computer than to a story book. Also, one of the characters in it has somehow materialized... there's one character called "Puschel, the squirrel without a tail". Well, today I discovered that I've got a clay squirrel on my balcony, but it fell to the ground sometime ago so that the tail was knocked off. This now has been the way for months, if not years, but just today I realized that that broken animal is actually a squirrel... without a tail, so I now called it Puschel. ;-) 

• Like 7

Arcade:

Enjoying some of the one-time-only Arcade Archives sales.

Metal Hawk - 10 min

Pac-Land - 10 min

IMG_0555.jpeg

Phelios - 10 min

Atari 2600:

Catacombs of Chaos - 20 min

Atari 7800:

Bentley Bear in Crystal Quest - 30 min

IMG_0504.jpeg

Finally getting the hang of this.

Atari Lynx:

Hockey - 35 min

IMG_0361.thumb.jpeg.d860c311d92f22be06c1969f128755d8.jpeg

GCE Vectrex:

Cosmic Chasm - 35 min

IMG_0358.thumb.jpeg.5a6f8806ddca0c56a8b895f9c16db7a8.jpeg

Sadly the Analogue Pocket does not display this game right, so I really need to play it on a real Vectrex...

Mattel Intellivision:

Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing - 105 min

IMG_0496.jpeg

Lots of fun with this one for a high score challenge.

Nintendo 3DS:

Nanostray 2 - 23 min

Nintendo Entertainment System:

U-Four-Ia: The Saga - 75 min

IMG_0419.jpeg

Such a great game.

Nintendo Game Boy Color:

Shantae - 25 min

IMG_0541.jpeg

Trip World DX - 20 min

IMG_0548.jpeg

Nintendo Switch:

The Adventures of Elena Temple: Definitive Edition - 105 min

IMG_0515.jpeg

All of the games by this developer are on sale now. This reminds me a lot of the Oliver Twins' old Robin Hood game. If you like that, or puzzle platformers in general, I can't recommend this enough. For two measly bucks this is hours of fun. I beat all three games but I turned on cheats for the last chapter so I am looking forward to going back and doing it honestly.

Athenian Rhapsody - 80 min

IMG_0473.jpeg

This is charming and well made but so far it is a beat for beat clone of Undertale which is just super weird. 80 minutes is pretty generous for a demo, though.

Endless Ocean Luminous - 470 min

IMG_0556.jpeg

I realize it's weird that a game I've put so much time into is such a massive disappointment, but I realize full well that this is the last Endless Ocean I'm ever going to get so I am trying to wring all the joy I can get from it (which will get much harder to do when online participation, which is strong now, drops) while simultaneously mourning what was lost. At least it still has some moments of extreme atmosphere like this one.

It sure does get strange, though.

IMG_0554.jpeg

The Fall of Elena Temple - 40+50

IMG_0467.jpeg

The second port from Playdate to Switch, this is even better than the fantastic Adventures game. Do yourself a favor and try it if you like mindbending puzzles!

Long Ago: A Puzzle Tale - 25 min

Fun rolling ball puzzle game from the creator of Elena Temple. Very hard, though.

Rollin' Eggz - 15 min

This is a port/modernization of Nu, Pogodi, the old Soviet Elektronika clone of Nintendo's Mickey Mouse Game & Watch. It's pretty fun.

Zen Pinball - 20 min

IMG_0550.jpeg

Trying out the new football/soccer table, which is free on all platforms if you download it right now.

Sega Master System:

Danan: The Jungle Fighter - 45 min

IMG_0448.jpeg

This was pretty much the last thing on my Master System want list. It's not perfect but very fun like most of Sega's weird adventure action games like Spellcaster and Kenseiden. This one is more Lord of the Sword, but a little better than that.

• Like 7

Lots of gaming time this week on account of being laid up from surgery! My main gaming accomplishment was finishing up Tomb Raider II, which I started playing on the Miyoo Mini Plus, then played through most of the game on the Anbernic RG35XX Plus, then finally finished it up on the new Anbernic RG35XX H that I just got in the mail this past week. :)

20240430074926_IMG_52172.thumb.JPG.3c68535db93469bddb56f1b925407dca.JPG

20240508041524_IMG_53022.thumb.JPG.1833971ab6553dd1112f3a27fad12ac8.JPG

20240509012850_IMG_53212.thumb.JPG.db6ae8df4d59c694e2ddd8b98348f825.JPG

20240517190124_IMG_54812.thumb.JPG.f0dbf7b3e7d9880b6a0e2a8ccbec7165.JPG

20240518235019_IMG_55182.thumb.JPG.3e256a41bf20a9e2f17bd47a1a6e4c4c.JPG

Speaking of which, after going through around a dozen retro emulation handhelds I've finally settled on two that do everything I want from both a hardware and software perspective! My once ginormous collection of a couple dozen original hardware consoles has now been whittled down to just 3 handhelds that play everything I could want to play, and I'm really happy with all of them!

20240519020719_IMG_56012.thumb.JPG.3b121ef5c755c4244a0488ca4936a859.JPG

I've got the Nintendo Switch for all my modern gaming needs, the Anbernic RG35XX H for a small and easily pocketable handheld to play everything retro from Atari 2600 up through PS1, and the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro for the more demanding retro systems like Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Nintendo DS, PSP, GameCube, Wii, and PS2. They all have HDMI out and Bluetooth for connecting to my HDTV and playing on the big screen too, and everything just works and feels the way I want on them. 

It's been a long journey getting to this point, but I'm really darn happy with these 3 devices. Anyhoo, here's my times for the week! :)

Game Boy

Mario's Picross - 116 minutes

Game Boy Color

Tetris DX - 15 minutes

PC-DOS

The Ultimate Doom - 46 minutes

PlayStation

Tomb Raider II - 329 minutes

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

@Skippy B. Coyote how is the button and d pad action on these? My old Anbernic really hurts my hands, it has exceptionally stiff controls.

Very good! I wouldn't be keeping them as my primary devices if they weren't. :lol:

Emulation handhelds have really come a long way in the last couple years, from both a power and build quality perspective. The D-pad on the Anbernic RG35XX H is a traditional NES style membrane contact D-pad that feels just right to me in terms of activation pressure and accuracy. It passes the Contra test well and doesn't give me false diagonals, though I have no problem pulling off special moves in games like Street Fighter II when I want to use the diagonals. The buttons are nice and responsive as well and don't require too much force to activate, with snappy membrane contacts for all the face buttons and microswitches for the L1/R1 and L2/R2 shoulder buttons.

On the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro you've got a PS Vita style D-pad that uses a membrane contact with dome switches underneath, making it very precise but not too clicky. It does fatigue my thumb a little bit after an hour or so of use, but it's not stiff by any means. The face buttons are standard membrane contact buttons with good responsiveness, and while the L1 and R1 shoulder buttons are microswitched the L2 and R2 triggers are hall sensor analog triggers; which comes in handy for systems like Dreamcast and GameCube that used analog triggers. The analog sticks are hall sensor as well, so you'll never have to worry about stick drift on it. 

In short, they're both really nice! :)

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Very good! I wouldn't be keeping them as my primary devices if they weren't. :lol:

Emulation handhelds have really come a long way in the last couple years, from both a power and build quality perspective. The D-pad on the Anbernic RG35XX H is a traditional NES style membrane contact D-pad that feels just right to me in terms of activation pressure and accuracy. It passes the Contra test well and doesn't give me false diagonals, though I have no problem pulling off special moves in games like Street Fighter II when I want to use the diagonals. The buttons are nice and responsive as well and don't require too much force to activate, with snappy membrane contacts for all the face buttons and microswitches for the L1/R1 and L2/R2 shoulder buttons.

On the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro you've got a PS Vita style D-pad that uses a membrane contact with dome switches underneath, making it very precise but not too clicky. It does fatigue my thumb a little bit after an hour or so of use, but it's not stiff by any means. The face buttons are standard membrane contact buttons with good responsiveness, and while the L1 and R1 shoulder buttons are microswitched the L2 and R2 triggers are hall sensor analog triggers; which comes in handy for systems like Dreamcast and GameCube that used analog triggers. The analog sticks are hall sensor as well, so you'll never have to worry about stick drift on it. 

In short, they're both really nice! :)

DM me if you are looking to sell any of the old ones.  I'm still rocking the GP2X Wiz!

• Like 3

PS4  

Tetris Effect: Connected 236 

PC 

Fallout Shelter 175 

Football Manager 2024 196 

SMS 

Outrun 3 

Outrun Europa 3 

Super Monaco GP 33 

Xbox Series S/X 
Control 530

I've just about wrapped up my time with Tetris Effect (which is technically called "Connected") and Control.  I wrote up a blurb about them here:  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/359069-modern-games-beaten-in-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5469112.  I've also now begun an intensive online Spanish course (no not duolingo)  which may dig into my time for gaming.  However, I started playing Football Manager and switched the language to Spanish to give me a place where I can continue to play games and practice my language skills.

• Like 7

This past week I played:

Super Mario Bros.: Level-Headed for NES - 119 minutes

The Monkey of Zelda (Hack) for NES - 125 minutes

Zelda 2024-4 by Jim B. (Hack) for NES - 189 minutes

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse for PC - 214 minutes

Progress:

The Monkey of Zelda: I started a new game and completed the first quest

Super Mario Bros. Level-Headed: I completed 6 games from my 3rd set (Normal difficulty, original graphics)

Zelda 2024-4 by Jim B.: I completed levels 1,2,3,4 and 5. This game is long and difficult due to not having the sword available for a long time.

X-Men Legends II: I completed chapters 2 and 3 of the game on Easy using a Beast mod as my main character.

• Like 8

Week of 5/13/24 - 5/19/24

Atari 2600

G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike - 35

Roc 'N Rope - 20

Steeplechase - 20

iOS

Duolingo - 37

Jumbline 2 - 52

Total time = 164 minutes

• Like 7

Week 20 Summary

For the week May 13 - 19, we logged 5363 minutes of gaming, playing 67 games (of which 26 new) on a total of 23 systems.

Individual Top 20

1. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 993 min.
2. Control (Xbox Series S/X) - 530 min. (#2)
3. Endless Ocean Luminous (Switch) - 470 min. (#3)
4. Wario Land 4 (Game Boy Advance) - 298 min.
5. Tetris Effect: Connected (PS4) - 236 min.
6. X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (PC Modern) - 214 min. (#5)
7. Football Manager 2024 (PC Modern) - 196 min.
8. Zelda 2024-4 by Jim B. (hack) (NES/Famicom) - 189 min.
9. Fallout Shelter (PC Modern) - 175 min.
10. Monkey of Zelda, The (hack) (NES/Famicom) - 125 min.
11. Super Mario Bros: Level-Headed (NES/Famicom) - 119 min. (#13)
12. Mario's Picross (Game Boy) - 116 min.
13. Adventures of Elena Temple: Definitive Edition, The (Switch) - 105 min.
13. Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing (Intellivision) - 105 min.
15. Darkside Detective: A Fumble (PC Modern) - 90 min.
15. Fall of Elena Temple, The (Switch) - 90 min.
17. Athenian Rhapsody (Switch) - 80 min.
18. Turbo Out Run (Nintendo 3DS) - 75 min.
18. U-Four-Ia: The Saga (NES/Famicom) - 75 min.
20. Retro Bowl (Android) - 70 min.
20. Scrapyard Dog (Atari 7800) - 70 min.

Pre-NES Top 10

1. Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing (Intellivision) - 105 min.
2. Scrapyard Dog (Atari 7800) - 70 min.
3. G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike (Atari 2600) - 45 min.
4. Cosmic Chasm (Vectrex) - 35 min.
5. Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (Atari 7800) - 30 min.
6. Steeplechase (Sears/Atari) (Atari 2600) - 25 min.
7. Catacombs of Chaos (Atari 2600) - 20 min.
7. Roc 'n' Rope (Atari 2600) - 20 min.
9. Desmond's Dungeon (Atari 8-bit) - 16 min.
10. Pac-Land (Arcade) - 10 min.

Systems Top 20

1. PlayStation (1 game) - 993 min.
2. Switch (7 games) - 805 min. (#3)
3. PC Modern (6 games) - 750 min. (#6)
4. Xbox Series S/X (1 game) - 530 min. (#4)
5. NES/Famicom (7 games) - 529 min. (#2)
6. Game Boy Advance (2 games) - 323 min.
7. PS4 (1 game) - 236 min. (#9)
8. Nintendo 3DS (4 games) - 138 min.
9. Game Boy (2 games) - 131 min.
10. Atari 2600 (4 games) - 110 min. (#1)
11. Android (3 games) - 109 min. (#8)
12. Intellivision (1 game) - 105 min.
13. Atari 7800 (2 games) - 100 min.
14. Game Boy Color (4 games) - 97 min. (#17)
15. Apple iOS (2 games) - 89 min. (#13)
16. Sega Master System (4 games) - 84 min. (#10)
17. Atari Lynx (2 games) - 55 min.
18. PC DOS (1 game) - 46 min.
19. Vectrex (1 game) - 35 min.
20. SNES (2 games) - 30 min. (#11)
20. Arcade (3 games) - 30 min. (#7)

After some catching up, Tomb Raider II on the PlayStation is the clear #1 this week, followed by Control and Endless Ocean Luminous. The pre-NES list is a bit unusual this week, as neither Kaboom! nor Solar Fox are logged this week. Instead, Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing on the Intellivision takes the title. On the systems list, one single PlayStation game makes up for 6-7 more modern games on PC or Switch.

No changes to the 1000, 5000, 10000 Minute Clubs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

ATARI 2600:

G.I. Joe Cobra Strike (for HSC)* - 15 minutes

Mario Bros. (for HSC) - 20 minutes

Red Sea Crossing (for HSC) - 15 minutes

Roc 'N Rope (for HSC) - 40 minutes

Steeplechase (for HSC)* - 10 minutes

* = I was lazy to register my times in the previous week

ATARI 8-BIT COMPUTERS:

Bosconian - 20 minutes

Chambers of Zorp - 5 minutes

Hyperblast! - 5 minutes

Mr. Dig - 30 minutes

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (May 20th through 26th)...

It's been another week of non-proper gaming. With my "Grindy Adventure", I'm now at 271 out of 398 chapters done and about 73% of all pages done. I've now also inserted two AI made songs from Udio.

• Like 4

May 20-26:

Android

RB College - 15 min

Atari 2600 (Stella 6.7.1)

GI Joe Cobra Strike (real hardware) - 15 min

Mario Bros - 77 min

Roc’n Rope- 45 min

PC Modern

Hero’s Hour -26 min

I really want to like this game, since I loved the old HoMM series. I got a free copy long ago with Prime, but as I have played it, the fact it is missing a campaign mode makes it not as compelling to get into.

• Like 3