IGNORED

A5200DS Version 3.5 Released

wavemotion

https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

A5200DS is an Atari 5200 emulator for the Nintendo DS/DSi/XL/LL

Atari5200

Features :

• Support for the original 69 commercial releases plus a couple hundred homebrews, hacks and prototypes.
  • All games run at full speed on a DSi or above. Most games will run at full speed on the older DS-Lite/Phat (some of the more complex conversions will lag).
  • Bankswitching carts up to 128K are supported. Bounty Bob Strikes Back is supported (though needs a DSi or better to run smoothly).
  • Games like Frogger and Q-Bert auto-patch so the button does not need to be pressed to move/hop.
  • Games like Robotron will auto configure twin-sticks so you can use the ABXY buttons to shoot while the d-pad moves.
  • 10 high-scores per game is saved to the SD card.

image.thumb.png.c783fba4894149da7f4603f2598c42bc.png

image.thumb.png.380ca428024911a1d8ce9098e75ddd42.png

Although my A8DS (Atari 8-bit computer) emulator gets significantly more downloads and far more buzz... this 5200-specific emulator is crafted with much love. I will not merge this with A8DS nor will I add 5200 support to A8DS ... the Atari 5200 deserves better. I hope you enjoy the effort here!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Rockymin said:

Will this run on a DS Flashcart in a 3DS system?

Yes, it will. I run on an R4 clone cart on a 2DS XL system. Running from a flash cart almost always put the system into DS-compatibility mode so you will only be running at a CPU speed of 67MHz which is fine for many of the games - the more complicated games may drop a few frames however... 

1 minute ago, wavemotion said:

Yes, it will. I run on an R4 clone cart on a 2DS XL system. Running from a flash cart almost always put the system into DS-compatibility mode so you will only be running at a CPU speed of 67MHz which is fine for many of the games - the more complicated games may drop a few frames however... 

I have a Supercard DSTwo, I believe it actually has its own processor in it that helps stuff like this run better.  I run several other emulators on it for later systems than the 5200, and the games run pretty well.  Can't wait to try this out.  I like the touchscreen being used to insert cartridges.  That's neat!

1 hour ago, wavemotion said:

Is there a flash cart option that will put a 3DS system into DSi mode?

I only have the original DS, DS Lite, 3DS XL, and 2DS XL (no DSi or DSi XL, alas). Been thinking about a flash cart recently for this 5200 emulator, the A8 emulator, and Stella.

Edited by Atariboy

11 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Is there a flash cart option that will put a 3DS system into DSi mode?

That's a good question... I think it has less to do with the flashcart and more to do with the menu/launching software.

All of the various R4 flashcarts I own place the system into DS-compatibility mode (base 67MHz CPU speed and 4MB of memory). That's the specs of the original DS hardware.

The DSi/XL/LL units I have are all soft-modded to run either Twilight Menu++ or Unlaunch (or both!). Those allow for homebrews to run in the faster DSi mode (2X CPU and 4X Memory) which really helps boost emulation where I can support less frame drops and higher quality sound. The DSi has an SD card slot so the soft-mod is as simple as loading Twilight Menu++ or Unlaunch onto the SD card (well... there is one other step but it's not hard).

But I believe you can run Twilight Menu++ via a flash-cart such as an R4. I've never done it but I would guess that it would then unlock the faster CPU and more memory on anything that is DSi or above (so 2DS and 3DS XL, etc). 

I do try to ensure that my emulators always run on flash carts in DS compatibility mode but some features won't be supported. For a system like StellaDS, for example, I can support all of the common 2K/4K and most 8K and 16K games just fine. But when you get to ARM-assisted games (think of the latest great offerings from Champ Games), they won't run anywhere near full frame rate. You would need to unlock the faster 2X CPU to get those to perform at full speed.

Having said that, A5200DS runs pretty well in compatibility mode... you can play most of the classic Atari offerings at full speed - and even play some of the bigger ports like Dropzone...but forget about AtariBLAST and Bosconian :D 

An R4 clone cart is pretty cheap... I think I got both mine for under US$20 each.

• Like 2