IGNORED

Podcast- Atari 2600+: The Inside Story With Creator Ben Jones

PowerDubs

Great interview. Lots of insights and info about the Atari 2600+. I got one a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.
Wishing good success to Atari on this and hope to see more games (new, home-brewed, reissued, etc...), hardware and compatibility for the 2600+.

PS: Looks like lots of podcasts on that channel that I'll enjoy so I subscribed. Cheers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

...soon to be a major motion picture.

Starring...

Liam Neeson as Ben from Plaion

Nicolas Cage as Wade from Atari

Steven Seagal as Some guy on the Internet

David Spade as Young Ben

Jane Fonda as Young Ben's Gram-Gram

Jason Bateman as Young Ben's estranged father

And special appearance by

Nolan Bushnell as A cranky Youtube reviewer

Don't miss it this Summer!

Coming direct to a video rental store near you.

In association with GOMALCO Pictures

A Quinn Martin Production

Rated R

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I wept a little when it was noted that discussions with Plaion began related to distribution of the modern VCS in Europe. Wish that had worked out.

Me too.  I'd love to get my hands on one officially in the UK.  @Ben from Plaion any chance of a palette for us UK folks lol?

Interesting to hear that Ben and Atari have lots of plans afoot for the 2600+, can't wait to see what new software and maybe even hardware gets released for it.  I'm also glad that 7800 emulation was included in the final spec as that was a big selling point for me personally.

• Like 6

Great interview with some nice insights about how the Atari 2600+ came to be.

Apparently Plaion tried to convince Atari to make the Atari 2600+ only play 2600 carts, but Atari really wanted to support both 2600 and 7800 cartridges.

Also good to hear about the amount of work that went into designing and building the CX40+ joystick, which turned out to be a excellent replica of the original, including that “mushy” feeling. Even a wireless version was discussed, which would make playing from the couch more convenient.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Even a wireless version was discussed, which would make playing from the couch more convenient.

A wireless joystick would have to have SELECT and RESET buttons built into it. Otherwise you’d constantly be getting up from the couch with many games… which would defeat the purpose.

8 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

A wireless joystick would have to have SELECT and RESET buttons built into it. Otherwise you’d constantly be getting up from the couch with many games… which would defeat the purpose.

True. “Couch-compliant” wasn’t a thing in the early days 🙂

Edited by Dionoid

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

But thats cheating 😁

I dont even feel right playing games with CX78 joypad.

Grown up in the arcades, I started cheating in 1987, when I built my first arcade stick for my home systems😉

20200603_145959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Grown up in the arcades, I started cheating in 1987, when I built my first arcade stick for my home systems😉

20200603_145959.jpg

You know my love for videogames started with arcade games....imagine a control system of microswitched joystick and arcade buttons whos aesthetic and function has not been surpassed for 40 years. Insane. 

• Like 1

Great interview, love the commitment to get it right and capture the real Atari feeling.

Also the (I understand) intention to only release games with new (or at least enhanced) content.

Want: wireless controllers 🙂 an adaptation of the VCS (the 2019 PC-based console) wireless joystick would be a perfect fit for the 2600+

Very low priority: a 5200/8-bit adapter. Love the Atari 400/800/5200 line, one of the gaming platforms with the highest creative output ever, but let the 2600 (+) carry on and evolve its own iconic profile. No good and point turning it into a mish-mash emulate-all platform, with lessening profile and consequently relevance.

The 2600 community will be much better served if Atari focuses its resources on new, good, games and additional controller options.

Edited by r_type2600
clarification: new VCS console wireless joystick reference
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, Dionoid said:

True. “Couch-compliant” wasn’t a thing in the early days 🙂

Sure it was. You were supposed to keep the console near the couch. 🙃

That's why RF and power cables were 20 miles long and most of the controls were on the console, while controller cables were just long enough so that players didn't have to sit on top of each other. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1