IGNORED

some NanoPeb 101 questions

Besides the CFMGR not loading with the E/A cart in, another thing I don't understand is why I can't get almost all of the XB based games from those 5 sheets I posted (currently on page 2 of this thread) working when XB is the method listed. For example volume#103

-XB cart in

- CALL MOUNT (3,103)   

but there is no filename listed for almost all the XB ones.  I guessed with RUN "DSK3.ANGLER"... but all I get is an I/O error and with so many of these I've tried. I haven't tried them all, but so far the only one that worked was the one in the example called "THIEF.", and that one did have the filename listed.  And naturally you can't do just RUN because then it says about the program not being present.

So in short, why aren't these XB volumes working either?  I have been CALL MOUNTING in XB, or is it that I have to CALL MOUNT in regular TI Basic instead?  What am I missing or doing incorrectly here?

Edited by newTIboyRob

A listing of the files on the Volume will help.  Does ANGLER show up as a "PGM" file or a "D/F 80".  As this is an assembly language game.  The E/A cart will run OPT5 "PGM" files and L&R3 "D/F 80" files.  Also there may be a file called LOAD on the disk and it needs to run from "DSK1.".

The nanoPEB/CF7+ commands will run from both TI Basic and Extended Basic.

From the VCATALOG listing, ANGLER 1 ANGLER 2 ANGLER 3...  size wize  33, 33, 3  respectively, and LOAD 7.  Everything showing up as a PROGRAM file.  I wasn't sure if the LOAD here was the same as the LOAD I see present on DSK2 since that has 6 for the size?

23 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

From the VCATALOG listing, ANGLER 1 ANGLER 2 ANGLER 3...  size wize  33, 33, 3  respectively, and LOAD 7.  Everything showing up as a PROGRAM file.  I wasn't sure if the LOAD here was the same as the LOAD I see present on DSK2 since that has 6 for the size?

The Load will change from disk to disk probably, as Load is generally an ExBasic program designed for the particular files on the drive. Those may be EA files, but the load file will know how to bring those files in and place them in the correct location of memory to run correctly. The load is generally designed by the creator of those files. So if you map in that disk as dsk1, and go into Extended basic, it will autoload those files for you, if that load file is meant to be run from XB.

You can generally tell if it's an EXB Load file, if you're in  XB when you mount the vol, and do a catalog. If you see a load program you can OLD DSK1.LOAD, after it completes and goes back to the cursor, you can usually LIST the program, unless it's protected. If the program list or says protected then it is a Basic or XB program, if it doesn't load to LIST, but errors out, then it's probably a load for another programming environment.

Edited by RickyDean

@newTIboyRob asked how many volumes are on a given size of CF card.

Here are my results from various SanDisk and Kingston branded CF cards.  Other brand names may vary +/- 2-8 on the number of volumes available.

Thats if the CF7+/nanoPEB recognizes them.  Other users have reported that SanDisk/Kingston/Transcend(??) branded CF cards are recognized and work fine.

CF Size   # Vols  Notes

=======  =======  ================================================== 

32MB     39     have  SanDisk (Red/Blue) / Kingston (Orange/White)

64MB     78     est. 

128MB    156     est. 

256MB    312     have  Kingston (Orange/White)

512MB    626     est. 

1GB   1252     have  SanDisk (Red/Blue)

2GB   2504     est. 

To set one up for the CF7+/nanoPEB you need a CF Card reader and PC (DOS,Win98/XP/7/8/10/11), and use the CF7+/nanoPEB DOS utilities.  Or use the excellent TI99Dir program on a PC (Win7/8/10/11).  TI99Dir needs a copy of the Disk image provided in the "CF7+/nanoPEB DOS utilities"

• Like 1

I was pretty much set to buy the recommended regulated 5v power supply for my Nanopeb, when I remembered I had this Radio Shack adapter in the back of my closet.  Maybe I don't have to buy after all, so I took 4 photos so we can discuss.

• It originally came with about 8 or so switchable end connection pieces which I couldn't find. But the first thing I did, of course with the NanoPeb and power strip power off, was to see if I might get lucky that the size of the piece that was last connected to the plug's end would fit at the Nanopeb. Luckily, an exact fit, so no worries there.

Of course, the things I want to avoid are an insufficient and inconsistent power emission, or even worse, too much, which could fry the NanoPeb. From what I'm told, the NanoPeb uses 100 mA, but I saw this is a 300 mA plug, so I wasn't sure here.

So if you look at the photos:

1) Will this adapter still do the job or is it too strong with its being 300 mA? (I know zero about this)  If the answer is Yes, then please continue reading and answer more. If No, you can stop, as I will know it is GAME OVER.

2) How can you tell if it is a regulated 5v power supply? 

3) You can see that when I last used it years ago I left it set at 6V. Can I leave it right there for the NanoPeb, or what should I set it to?

4) I know the end connection piece in relation to TIP positioning with - or + makes all the difference. Just to demonstrate, in photo 3, I put the "-" end of the piece (semi-)connected to the TIP, while in photo 4, I put the "+" end of the piece (semi)-connected to the TIP.  So which do I want in my case, photo 3 or 4? Whichever it is, I know to press it in securely before connecting to the NanoPeb.

Thanks!

ADAPT1OF4.jpg

ADAPT2OF4.jpg

ADAPT3OF4.jpg

ADAPT4OF4.jpg

Edited by newTIboyRob

48 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

I was pretty much set to buy the recommended regulated 5v power supply for my Nanopeb, when I remembered I had this Radio Shack adapter in the back of my closet.  Maybe I don't have to buy after all, so I took 4 photos so we can discuss.

• It originally came with about 8 or so switchable end connection pieces which I couldn't find. But the first thing I did, of course with the NanoPeb and power strip power off, was to see if I might get lucky that the size of the piece that was last connected to the plug's end would fit at the Nanopeb. Luckily, an exact fit, so no worries there.

Of course, the things I want to avoid are an insufficient and inconsistent power emission, or even worse, too much, which could fry the NanoPeb. From what I'm told, the NanoPeb uses 100 mA, but I saw this is a 300 mA plug, so I wasn't sure here.

1) Will this adapter still do the job or is it too strong with its being 300 mA? (I know zero about this)  If the answer is Yes, then please continue reading and answer more. If No, you can stop, as I will know it is GAME OVER.

3) You can see that when I last used it years ago I left it set at 6V. Can I leave it right there for the NanoPeb, or what should I set it to?

4) I know the end connection piece in relation to TIP positioning with - or + makes all the difference. Just to demonstrate, in photo 3, I put the "-" end of the piece (semi-)connected to the TIP, while in photo 4, I put the "+" end of the piece (semi)-connected to the TIP.  So which do I want in my case, photo 3 or 4? Whichever it is, I know to press it in securely before connecting to the NanoPeb.

Thanks!

ADAPT1OF4.jpg

ADAPT2OF4.jpg

ADAPT3OF4.jpg

ADAPT4OF4.jpg

It doesn't have a 5 volt setting, you do not want to use 6 or above unless the nano has a 5volt regulator mounted on it. If it doesn't have a mounted regulator then you want a precise 5 volt regulated supply to plug into it. You risk damaging the Nano if you don't have the right voltage. You can use higher amperes, no problem.

• Like 1

Thanks @RickyDean . Yes, I also saw it was either 4.5 or 6v, and I wasn't sure if that 1 extra volt of choosing 6v and not having 5v was going to be problematic. Sounds like it would be. I took a look at my NanoPeb, but since this area is not my forte, I really don't know if it has a 5volt regulator mounted on it; I wouldn't know where to look, or what I was looking for would look like.  

Looks like my plug is out then. But it never hurt to ask or try!

Edited by newTIboyRob

9 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

Thanks @RickyDean . Yes, I also saw it was either 4.5 or 6v, and I wasn't sure if that 1 extra volt of choosing 6v and not having 5v was going to be problematic. Sounds like it would be. I took a look at my NanoPeb, but since this area is not my forte, I really don't know if it has a 5volt regulator mounted on it; I wouldn't know where to look, or what I was looking for would look like.  

Looks like my plug is out then. But it never hurt to ask or try!

This is what a regulator would look like for your NanoPEB. If you don't have something like this, then get a regulated 5 volt power supply.

296~T03B~NDE~3.jpg

15 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Thanks!

ADAPT1OF4.jpg

ADAPT2OF4.jpg

ADAPT3OF4.jpg

ADAPT4OF4.jpg

NO, NO, NO to using this type of power supply, EVER, even if it did have a 5V setting! They tend to be unregulated (it doesn't say it is regulated), and the voltage setting tends to be the voltage at the maximum specified current - at lower current the voltage can be significantly higher. You also run the risk of 'borrowing' the power supply to use for something else then forgetting to reset the voltage switch when you connect it back to the NanoPEB ...

Well done for getting one from ArcadeShopper.  ;-)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

was just trying to see if I could use what I already had.  I did see that mine didn't specifically say regulated, but I thought it still might have been worth a shot to try and ask, hence the photos.

A fair question.  I like to use USB power packs which I have tested for regulation.  I have found some which start to drop from their 5V rating to around 4.3V or less at only half-load.

My comment was more toward the fact this is a question (nanoPEB power supplies) which gets asked a lot.  Then it becomes like stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance.  I figure a cat meme will cut through most of those.

6 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

But yes, ultimately I did make the good- and right- choice.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...