IGNORED

What are your Top 5 7800 Homebrews?

RetroPA

There's a thread I'm enjoying elsewhere asking about top 5 7800 games overall, and some homebrews have made it onto people's lists there.  

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, I completed my collection of "official" 7800 games and got the "unofficial" KLAX and NTSC Sentinel releases before finally boxing my collection up and leaving it on the attic for a 15ish years.  But the opening of a new classic arcade store at a nearby mall got me interested in getting my 7800 back out and now I have the bug once again.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that there have been a ton of homebrew games released in the years since.  I purchased a copy of Frenzy and got Crazy Brix, Space Duel and Crystal Quest for Christmas. There are some really great games still being made for the 7800, which only further feeds my resurgent mania.

I know many of the titles that were once available are now almost impossible to find, but I'm curious what everyone's favorite homebrews are to give me a sense of which games I should be going the extra mile to try to get my hands on.

Also, is there anywhere other than AtariAge and Good Deal Games where these are being sold in a non-auction setting?

Thanks!

Regarding the "Top 10 (+1) Aftermarket Atari 7800 games", here is a list that collects the preferences expressed by sixteen AA users, updated to February 25, 2023.

Games that have received 9 preferences:

- Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest

Games that have received 8 preferences:

- Baby Pac-Man

- Donkey Kong XM / PK

- Rikki & Vikki

Games that have received 6 preferences:

- E.X.O.

- Knight Guy in Low-Res World - Castle Days -

Games that have received 5 preferences:

- Frenzy
- Froggie
- Pac-Man Collection
- Scramble

- T:ME Salvo

Games that have received 4 preferences:

- Astro Blaster

- Beef Drop

Games that have received 3 preferences:

- Armor Attack II

- Dungeon Stalker

- Dragon's Descent

- Galaxian

- Keystone Koppers

- Moon Cresta

- Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition

- Popeye

- Wizard's Dungeon

Games that have received 2 preferences:

- b*nQ

- Danger Zone

- Dragon's Cache

- GoSub
- Jr. Pac-Man

- Millie and Molly

- Space Invaders

- Super Circus AtariAge

Games that have received 1 preference:

- Animal Keeper

- Arkanoid

- A.R.T.I.

- Asteroids Deluxe

- Astro Fighter

- Attack of the PETSCII Robots

- Crazy Brix

- Draker Quest II

- Flappy Bird

- Game of The Bear: Polar Opposites
- Get Lost

- K.C. Munchkin

- Knight Guy: Quest for Something
- Legend of Silverpeak
- Meteor Shower

- OOZY THE GOO

- Pirate Cove

- Rip-Off
- Robots Rumble

- Slide Boy in Maze Land

- Spire of the Ancients

- Super Cobra
- Super Pac-Man
- The Journey of Snail: A New World

- UniWar S
- Venture

- W O R D L E 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are so many incredible homebrews and there's really no accounting for taste.  My personal top five would reflect my current taste in games, but if you ask next month it might be totally different.

1.Rikki n Vikki

2.Dragons Havoc

3.Popeye

4.Donkey Kong PK/XM

5.EXO

Honorable mentions would have to go to Bentley Bears Crystal Quest, Crazy Brix, Harpy's Curse, ARTI, Keystone Koppers, Frenzy / Berzerk and Galaxian.

If you dig a few pages into the programming forum you can find gems like monster maze from a thread called something like "it's dark out, better bring a torch"!  There's gold in them forums!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

If you dig a few pages into the programming forum you can find gems like monster maze from a thread called something like "it's dark out, better bring a torch"!  There's gold in them forums!

Absolutely!  Really hoping @BydoEmpire is able to get back to it someday.  The lighting effect that's in place is really cool.  It has a very nice survival game vibe to it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Absolutely!  Really hoping @BydoEmpire is able to get back to it someday.  The lighting effect that's in place is really cool.  It has a very nice survival game vibe to it.

This wip is very cool. I really hope it gets completed. 

My current Top 5, in no particular order, just the games that I play the most often when I fire up my 7800.

• Asteroids Deluxe
  • Dungeon Stalker
  • Donkey Kong PK (Note: We can now play Donkey Kong XM on the 2600+)
  • E.X.O.
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (Note: The 2600+ supports ym2151 too. Not too shabby.🙃)

• Like 2