IGNORED

Death of the Right Side Garbage

So, I'm guessing that there's some timing code in there + the right instruction sequence to ensure we have the wanted pixel data on the bus when Antic is doing that last graphics fetch?

How about the last scanline in hires?  Is there a fix being implemented to stop the screen warping on a real machine?

From memory you just set DMACTL to turn off the display at the appropriate time to get rid of it.

• Like 1

Nicely done.

There is a reference in the forum to needing either to preset ZP or BIT abs to put a value on the bus for two cycles. I'm guessing this is due to 1-cycle jitter from STA WSYNC -- this can probably be avoided by either using INC WSYNC or tracking DMA cycles to appropriate switch between STA WSYNC and STA WSYNC,X.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

So, I'm guessing that there's some timing code in there + the right instruction sequence to ensure we have the wanted pixel data on the bus when Antic is doing that last graphics fetch?

How about the last scanline in hires?  Is there a fix being implemented to stop the screen warping on a real machine?

From memory you just set DMACTL to turn off the display at the appropriate time to get rid of it.

Exactly. I'm pushing pixel pattern at Virtual DMA cycle using BIT $x0 or BIT $x0x0 instruction as @phaeron already explained.

Also I've implemented 240-hires scanlines bugfix using your algorithm.

So, as you can see I didn't invent anything, but just sit and did the job :P

@phaeron Thanks a million for your "Altirra Hardware Reference Manual" - I studied its ANTIC scanline diagrams for different modes. It's very helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mono said:

Yes, there is an picture made by Irwin years ago named "Impossible is nothing" https://demozoo.org/graphics/62641/.

Interesting!

Sophia 2:

impisnot-sophia.png.512f62878d3466a69996ca6c41d9a7cb.png

Top and bottom left are black.

Altirra 4.20:

impisnot.png.a871a4ea47f2f0b62b298fc1f0a4d497.png

More stuff is wrong, and the small line in the lower right corner changes pixels constantly.

No matter what -vert-area option I pass to atari800, it won't display more than 240 lines.

• Like 1