IGNORED

Broken Already???

Peloquin17

One of the connectors on the board of the cartridge could be sticking out abit and when you inset the cartridge it catches on one of the teeth in the slot and beds it.
It could be down to just one cartridge doing it, if you fix it and it happens again then its a cartridge doing it.

Edited by Spanner

3 minutes ago, Spanner said:

One of the connectors on the board of the cartridge could be sticking out abit and when you inset the cartridge it catches on one of the teeth in the slot and beds it.
It could be down to just one cartridge doing it.

I’m pretty sure I checked the cart connectors when cleaning them, but now I’m having second thoughts. 

I'm sure this is why previous Atari clones didn't have cartridge slots; who wants to deal with angry customers and their ancient cartridges?  I hope Atari sticks with it and makes improvements and further revisions on the 2600+, since it seems like it could be a really excellent long-term product.

Just a thought here and maybe this is not the case, but is it possible that the pins in these cart slots are cheaper quality than those made back in the 1970s/80s and they bend or warp much easier than the original cartridge ports/pins from back then? I'm just asking because I bought an Ultimate64 which is a modern FPGA C64 board. I've had the 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, C64, Atari 130XE, 600XL, etc... most since the 1980s and I NEVER had a damaged cartridge port or bent pin. Then one day my Ultimate64 wasn't working when inserting carts. I went crazy trying to figure out the issue. Was it the cart, the computer itself? Nope! The cart port had a bent pin. First time I ever experienced that and I rarely used carts on my Ultimate64, but back in the day, I'd use carts like most of us (all the time). When I got my Ultimate64 Elite board the first thing I did was buy a cartridge port elbow device so I could connect that once to the Ultimate64 cart port and then just insert the carts into the top of the elbow adapter, thus avoiding problems such as bending the pins on the actual cart slot.

John

Edited by Draugr