IGNORED

Inspiration for Megamania?

Rafa78

A few of those early Activision / Imagic games were clones or enhanced versions of earlier lesser known arcade games and people sometimes don't realize it...

Megamania was a port of Astro Blaster.

Kaboom! was a port of Avalanche.

Freeway was a port of Space Race.

Cosmic Ark was a port of Space Zap.

And so on and so on.... 

• Like 6

If you like Astro Blaster and Megamania you should also check out Threshold from Tigervision. Very much like Astro Blaster but de-made for the 2600. One of my favorite 2600 games from the smaller publishers.

Note- if you play the default game variation (game 1, difficulty B) it's very hard. For some reason this game got the skill settings backwards. Game 1 B is the hardest. If you start with game 3 A you'll have a better time of it.

• Like 4

@Rafa78 If you like Megamania, you might also like Gyruss (ROM, manual).  It also was an arcade game.  Do you know this one?  It has a different twist: you move around in a circle!  The object of the game is to make it from Neptune to Earth, shooting everything along the way.  There are power ups!  When you see three blue satellites, shoot down the one in the middle and get double fire!  After reaching each planet on the way to Earth, there is a BONUS ROUND.  Rack up points!  The key in this game is that the enemies always come at you the same way, so if you play a few times, you can start to learn and remember their movements, and then you can plan to be at the right places at the right times to wipe them all out and do max damage and get all the power ups.  If you try it, I hope you like it as much as Megamania.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

Loved Astro Blaster in the arcade but it was super tough. Run out of fuel and it's game over even if you have more lives!!!

It's a real MAME favourite now. Quite ahead of its time with the secret bonuses etc - not unlike modern day achievements.

Megamania is a clearly inspired by it.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a Megamania 2, official or hacked up to imagine what the next level might be. I like all the games mentioned above but none nearly as much as Megamania. 

Those falling dice!

Uniwars also has that Megamania flavor. Sort of. 

Edited by knievel1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 10:04 PM, tkarner said:

If you like Astro Blaster and Megamania you should also check out Threshold from Tigervision. Very much like Astro Blaster but de-made for the 2600. One of my favorite 2600 games from the smaller publishers.

Note- if you play the default game variation (game 1, difficulty B) it's very hard. For some reason this game got the skill settings backwards. Game 1 B is the hardest. If you start with game 3 A you'll have a better time of it.

Thanks for the tip!  I have just tried Threshold 3A and I see what you mean.  It's a nice game!  

Astro Fighter is a bit like Astro Blaster, except with a store brand feel. For what it's worth, I like Astro Blaster very much, and am grateful they included it in the Sega Genesis collection for the PSP.

• Like 2