IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 1 ~ Dig Dug

Vocelli

42 minutes ago, G-type said:

... the difficulty didn't seem to be getting much harder on higher levels.. its more of just a grind.

Eventually you'll get to a series of 4 repeating screens (I think) and the time before the speedup will be super short or nearly instant upon starting a new screen.  It's here you can develop patterns as the 4 screens repeat infinitely.  After several 100s of k of this, the speedup either stops completely or the timer is so long you never get to it and everything goes back to moving slow.  However, at this point the monsters start teleporting out of their enclosures almost immediately, disrupting any patterns you might have going. 

Edited by CentipedeFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi! New to the competition group here, looking forward to playing against you all! Started with Space Invaders because that's what I know... Hoping to post a respectable Dig Dug score...

Space Invaders score: 9805 Game 4 Difficulty B/B

Played on an Anbernic RG Arc-S with Stella emulator.

IMG_5012-EDIT.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CentipedeFan said:

Eventually you'll get to a series of 4 repeating screens (I think) and the time before the speedup will be super short or nearly instant upon starting a new screen.  It's here you can develop patterns as the 4 screens repeat infinitely.  After several 100s of k of this, the speedup either stops completely or the timer is so long you never get to it and everything goes back to moving slow.  However, at this point the monsters start teleporting out of their enclosures almost immediately, disrupting any patterns you might have going. 

I have noticed a similar difficulty progression.  Things speed up while cycling through the same four boards and then reset to a much easier level.  For me this happens at around 450k. I've had several games where I'll lose 5-6 men getting from 200k-400k, and then with my last 1-2 men run the score up to 800k-900k because the game gets easier for awhile.  I have developed some patterns, but they all have variations depending on how quickly the speed-up happens and on how quickly the baddies start teleporting.

When I first started playing the game, I was frustrated with the controls and wasn't sure if it was the game or if I just wasn't used to a new joystick.  I figured out there is an invisible grid on the board and that you must be completely inside one of the cells of this grid before you can make a 90-degree turn.  For example, at the start of a round if you just barely move down, then move right, you will first move down a couple more layers of dirt before making the right turn.  Once I recognized this, I've had much more success navigating around the board as intended.

I have scaled back on my aggression level trying to smash enemies with boulders.  Grouping enemies is not trivial and I feel pretty foolish if the timing isn't just right, I miss the enemy with the boulder, and I take a cheap death when I could have just pumped the enemy.  I'll take the easy boulder points when the opportunities present themselves, but I'm not going out of my way to create these opportunities.  I have also scaled back my aggression on trying to score the extra points by pumping a Frygar left/right rather than up/down (i.e. pump him part way facing up/down, then move and finish the job from the left/right to score twice the points).  For me, the game is too unpredictable on exactly how long it takes for the enemy to deflate, and adjusting position quickly is awkward with the way the controls work in this game.

If I want to press points, I might lure a Frygar to the bottom section of the screen and pump it facing left/right before it has a chance to shoot flames.  If the Frygar is in between one of those invisible cells (the same ones you have to be in to make 90-degree turns), it cannot breath fire.  The 1000 points you get from pumping a Frygar left/right at the bottom of the screen is the same points earned from dropping a boulder on one enemy.

I learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to head for the bottom left corner of the screen when the last baddie is leaving the screen. 🤣

Edited by kermit73
Fixed a typo
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

I have scaled back on my aggression

In arcade dig-dug, ill try and set up crazy boulder drops but not on this.   I don't even bother chasing down the last baddie, I just dig around for 10 pts a pop while he floats to the top.  All I care about is that pineapple.  Nothing frustrates me more than missing that.  I'll pump every baddy on the whole screen vertically without dropping a boulder on a single one so long as I get that pineapple.

CentipedeFan's recipe for Dig Dug success:

• Pump-kill everything on screen
  • Drop two rocks
  • Pickup pineapple
  • Rinse-repeat
  • Roll score
Edited by CentipedeFan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

For New Players:

You can continue to post scores for Dig Dug and Space Invaders until Midnight (EST) on Sunday Jan 21.

The new Week 2 Game will be posted on Thursday Jan 18. You can start to submit scores for that game as soon as it is posted.

That will give you several games to play every weekend.

The UPDATED Standings after Week 1 will be posted on the Week 2 Thread on Monday or Tuesday (Jan 22 or Jan 23).

ENJOY!

Dig Dug: 999990 (Rollage)

The game starts giving you extra lives again after you roll the score, including a bonus life at 1M.  This significantly extends a game if you're on your last life. 

The glitched boards started appearing for me at 1.2M and my game ended at 1.7M.  Overall, I think the glitched boards are easier.  The enemy enclosures appear in odd places, but I don't ever remember seeing two enemies start in the same enclosure.  The downside is the scoring potential is reduced.  Some of the boards only have one boulder and others don't have any boulders, making it impossible to get the 8k pineapple to appear.  Even boards with two boulders can be a challenge to get the pineapple.  If the enemies are too aggressive, you'll have to kill all of them before you can release both boulders.

image.thumb.png.180483b80465abe8352e4977b2100450.png

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

Dig Dug: 999990 (Rollage)

The game starts giving you extra lives again after you roll the score, including a bonus life at 1M.  This significantly extends a game if you're on your last life. 

The glitched boards started appearing for me at 1.2M and my game ended at 1.7M.  Overall, I think the glitched boards are easier.  The enemy enclosures appear in odd places, but I don't ever remember seeing two enemies start in the same enclosure.  The downside is the scoring potential is reduced.  Some of the boards only have one boulder and others don't have any boulders, making it impossible to get the 8k pineapple to appear.  Even boards with two boulders can be a challenge to get the pineapple.  If the enemies are too aggressive, you'll have to kill all of them before you can release both boulders.

image.thumb.png.180483b80465abe8352e4977b2100450.png

Damn, that's impressive!

If you would like to submit it to the DIG DUG THREAD-- and any more information you have about the 2600 version (or other versions, including the arcade original), feel free to contribute!

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/282789-the-dig-dug-thread/

• Like 1