IGNORED

New VCS user

Bitsized

16 hours ago, bikeguychicago said:

If you're dabbling with Linux or plan to use any of the apps, you will need a keyboard and mouse. A lot of videos I've seen have recommended the Logitech K400 keyboard for use with the VCS, as it has a built-in trackpad. I personally chose the Microsoft All-In-One Wireless Media Keyboard as I like the layout better than the K400. The trackpad on it is very responsive but the keyboard is just okay, not exceptional. 

You'll need a keyboard and mouse for Windows as well.

I have keyboard and mouse.  I installed an M.2 drive.   I continue to getting error messages this time it says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log files." I'm not sure what to do next. any advice?

UPDATE: I formated the drive within the atari OS and now it says windows can't be installed on the drive (listed as drive 0). and it won't give me the option to format it. 

What can I do now?

image.thumb.jpeg.ceac34138a89ba48d9d0d9cb6c470b99.jpeg

Edited by Bitsized

13 hours ago, Bitsized said:

I have keyboard and mouse.  I installed an M.2 drive.   I continue to getting error messages this time it says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log files." I'm not sure what to do next. any advice?

UPDATE: I formated the drive within the atari OS and now it says windows can't be installed on the drive (listed as drive 0). and it won't give me the option to format it. 

What can I do now?

Have you clicked new to create a new partition on the drive?  From that screen, you should first try to click new and see if it lets you create a partition.  If not, click delete and then click new to have windows create the partition.   I have an m.2 drive coming tomorrow for my new VCS, so I'll know more about this when I try to set it up.  It's a 1TB drive and I am planning to give each OS 512GB.

17 hours ago, Bitsized said:

What can I do now?

The best thing to do is partition the disk yourself with a partitioning tool like gpartd (can be flashed to self-booting USB drive)

What you would want to do is create a partition for Windows and give it a partition type Windows recognizes,  create a partition for AtariOS storage (I think it's type ext4?).    I can print out my partition table later to show how I handled it.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

The best thing to do is partition the disk yourself with a partitioning tool like gpartd (can be flashed to self-booting USB drive)

What you would want to do is create a partition for Windows and give it a partition type Windows recognizes,  create a partition for AtariOS storage (I think it's type ext4?).    I can print out my partition table later to show how I handled it.

Thank you.  I attempted this, but (being a mac user) I followed these windows instruction (VCS won't automatically boot to it when I have it inserted) There were other steps I found to create the WIN10 boot disk using the terminal and homebrew - I haven't found anything similar to that.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 7.12.40 PM.png

16 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Thank you.  I attempted this, but (being a mac user) I followed these windows instruction (VCS won't automatically boot to it when I have it inserted) There were other steps I found to create the WIN10 boot disk using the terminal and homebrew - I haven't found anything similar to that.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 7.12.40 PM.png

I guess so that I'm clear on what you are trying to do is install Windows on an m.2. drive,  did you want to save space on the m.2. for extra VCS storage or use the full drive for Windows?  

When you say "VCS won't automatically boot to it when I have it inserted", are you referring to the m.2. or the USB installation media?

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I guess so that I'm clear on what you are trying to do is install Windows on an m.2. drive,  did you want to save space on the m.2. for extra VCS storage or use the full drive for Windows?  

When you say "VCS won't automatically boot to it when I have it inserted", are you referring to the m.2. or the USB installation media?

Hello.  I bought the M.2 for the installation of windows.  There is enough to also have storage, so that would be a benefit to having the extra storage.  When I say it won't boot to the gpartd, I'm referring to the boot image I created on the USB stick. I'm not sure how to get to the VCS's boot manager window.  I see people have achieved this screen but I am unclear on how to get to that point.  I recently formated the M.2 drive with the VCS's format option and that rendered it unhelpful for installing windows10 to the drive.

15 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Hello.  I bought the M.2 for the installation of windows.  There is enough to also have storage, so that would be a benefit to having the extra storage.  When I say it won't boot to the gpartd, I'm referring to the boot image I created on the USB stick. I'm not sure how to get to the VCS's boot manager window.  I see people have achieved this screen but I am unclear on how to get to that point.  I recently formated the M.2 drive with the VCS's format option and that rendered it unhelpful for installing windows10 to the drive.

if you press escape soon after powering on the VCS, (might have to press escape it a few times to be sure), it will bring up the BIOS menu where the boot manager is one of the options.    

You might want to also go into BIOS settings to check the boot order,  turn secure boot off (this might be why it doesn't boot gpartd).   But you will need the BIOS password for that..   It's posted here in other threads.

2 hours ago, zzip said:

if you press escape soon after powering on the VCS, (might have to press escape it a few times to be sure), it will bring up the BIOS menu where the boot manager is one of the options.    

You might want to also go into BIOS settings to check the boot order,  turn secure boot off (this might be why it doesn't boot gpartd).   But you will need the BIOS password for that..   It's posted here in other threads.

Okay.  I'll try that.  I tried the escape thing a couple of times before, I will do it a few times this time.  I also read. somewhere that the password has changed - but I'll do some digging even if I get to that point.

7 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

Okay.  I'll try that.  I tried the escape thing a couple of times before, I will do it a few times this time.  I also read. somewhere that the password has changed - but I'll do some digging even if I get to that point.

The password has changed a couple of times in the past.   The current one reads like "Atari Celebrates 50 years" but is spelled funny,  it hasn't changed in quite a while.