IGNORED

Atari Mini Plugin Keyboard

Over the holiday season, I found some free time and realized that assisting with repairs or conducting prototype tests on motherboards for designs could be challenging for many, just like myself. Trying to elevate the stock keyboard for tests or troubleshooting often proves to be intimidating, and I'm sure many of us have experienced the keyboard slipping, leading to additional damage.

So I have created and constructed a compact keyboard to address this issue.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dbe9f3e763e0ab41c62e7f23a980e3a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c498cdf67fbd97b65fd979d64c7467b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.89bb41d3a4681a919cc3b7ff4b20e729.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b3a09d22a743432fe73640f815010afc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.db1da47c1c45bec343548c9b45c194af.jpeg

With its double sided adapter, you can use in on either the XE or XL models, it connects to the keyboard via a 400mm 24pin IDC ribbon cable.

There is also a single sided version of the adapter as some of the newer after market keyboard connectors make connection on both sides, but generally older system will not be affected.

As an extra feature, I included the F keys and duplicated the arrow keys.

Please see my video on it operation.

65XE

800XL

I did find a track on the wrong place on the adapters, this prevented the Power Led from illuminating, so another revision is going to be made.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

On the day of mini's too!

I know right, it was not intended... or was it 🤪

Thanks for the great responses, I will post information soon on how to get one, if anyone is interested, just got to work out options and costings.

• Like 1

I love the idea of this. I can't count the number of times that I've had a bare keyboard precariously perched on top of an 8-bit motherboard with a piece of cardboard or one of my anti-static soldering mats stuck in between to keep something from shorting out. This would be a very useful troubleshooting tool indeed. If you get it far enough along and working well and release everything, I may have to look into making one of these.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the awesome work!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I love the idea of this. I can't count the number of times that I've had a bare keyboard precariously perched on top of an 8-bit motherboard with a piece of cardboard or one of my anti-static soldering mats stuck in between to keep something from shorting out. This would be a very useful troubleshooting tool indeed. If you get it far enough along and working well and release everything, I may have to look into making one of these.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the awesome work!

Been there so many times with this exact same balancing act, especially when, say, flashing a new u1mb not yet fully attached to the board, or testing new ram upgrades have taken. 

UPDATE:-

User manual has been completed

It is available in the following options:-

A8 MiniKeyboard fully assembled with adapter
A8 MiniKeyboard Self build KIT with adapter
A8 MiniKeyboard BARE PCB with adapter PCB
Dual PCB XL and XE Single Side Bare PCB
Dual PCB XL and XE Single Side Self Build adapter
Dual PCB XL and XE Single Side Pre Built adapter

Contact me to confirm Prices and availability.
Postage Costs are quoted at time of request.
PayPal is Preferred and Accepted

What you get.

Fully assembled Kit:-

image.thumb.jpeg.056c285f8c356d7e2c695b46a0130ba4.jpeg

Please contact me if you are interested :) 

image.png

Design and original layout, size and all inspired by the whole Atari community, bobriclous, beeblebrox, and many more

Edited by Overange
Removed old manual and images
  • Like 11

55 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

...now match the form factor of THE400 keyboard, attach it to an USB keyboard controller and connect it internally... (black PCB preferred...)

Sure thing!

Let me just grab my wizard hat and magic wand, because turning my toothbrush holder into a sleek, black PCB-integrated keyboard with the form factor of THE400 sounds like a job for the Product Transformation Sorcerer!

Expecto USB-connectum!

Harry Potter Eye Roll GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Is this the version with the corrected trace for the power LED you mentioned? If not, would it be easy enough to correct with a bodge wire or some such?

Glad you asked, the new revised adapter boards should be here very soon, in the mean time, any orders of this current batch (TBH not many left), I will fit the bodge wire myself and its pretty well hidden.

image.thumb.jpeg.140bcccb8213784b824572d80dd037ed.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8aea667574686e3b7a2c113f7b33458.jpeg

• Like 2

Regarding The two types of Keyboard connectors.

Original Keyboard Connectors only make contact on one side, the later After Market Connectors make contact on both sides.

As shown in the photo.

image.thumb.png.97a29a6f8c39351d60f796cdac36eed7.png

For ease and to keep costs low, I supply the standard kits with the Double sided Adapter PCBs allowing you to use one adapter for either the XE or XL models.

If you do have the Aftermarket version of the Keyboard Connector, then you will need to use the Single Sided Version made for your model and to prevent any damage to your system that could happen.

At time of ordering let me know which type of adapter you wish to order, a pair of single sided Adapters will be an extra £1.00 on top of each kit.

If you already have a Mini Keyboard and wish to buy the Single Sided Adapters, they come as a break apart pair.

image.png.17b86e013ce67b597518d46d55bc4aad.png

A little Disclaimer - Please check you Keyboard Connectors before plugging in the Adapters, I do not take any responsibility for not checking what you have or done and never plug or unplug them in live. 

Also take care of the Adapters they are very thin ( 0.6mm Thick ) and could easily break.

Edited by Overange
typo

• 3 weeks later...

A slight redesign of the Top plate has been done, so now no need to split the top from the bottom, as well as some art work changes.

And the first sets of kits have been dispatched :)

I will update instructions soon as I find time.

image.thumb.jpeg.10515975b2b927b47631ff1db064453b.jpeg

Keyboard Adapters are now supplied with the trace in the correct place.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:58 PM, Geister said:

I wonder if there is enough space around the push button for a 3d printed key cap to squeeze over the round button?

There should be as they are only standard tactile switches.

Edited by Overange
  • Like 2

I organized a collective order of the small keyboards for some of the ABBUC members. "Overange" provided great support with the order and shipping to Germany. There were no problems with customs. Of course, customs duties and taxes still had to be paid, but I knew that beforehand. The kits all arrived super packaged and sorted and the assembly was a pleasure. The keyboards work fantastically and will be a great help when repairing and upgrading the XL and XE machines in the future.

👍 Thanks for this small but nice hardware.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, olix said:

I organized a collective order of the small keyboards for some of the ABBUC members. "Overange" provided great support with the order and shipping to Germany. There were no problems with customs. Of course, customs duties and taxes still had to be paid, but I knew that beforehand. The kits all arrived super packaged and sorted and the assembly was a pleasure. The keyboards work fantastically and will be a great help when repairing and upgrading the XL and XE machines in the future.

👍 Thanks for this small but nice hardwar

Thank you so much for these kind words :) 

I am sure your friends will be very happy with their keyboards as well :) 

On 2/11/2024 at 8:19 PM, Overange said:

I am sure your friends will be very happy with their keyboards as well :) 

I'm one of those who got it thanks to @olix and just assembled it. Straight forward and easy job, works like a charme.

Yes, I'm very happy. :)

• Like 2

Hello Overange

I too am one of the guys that got a mini keyboard via Olix.  He even assembled it for me.  It arrived today.  And in real life it's even more "mini" than in pictures.  Looks very nice.

I'm very happy too.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1