IGNORED

Dragon Quest...ions

I'm having a great time playing the new Dragon Quest but am wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions. First, are the upgrade stats random, as in how many HP and MP you get each level?

Also, it looks like this game says "Excellent move!" for critical hits, where additional hit sounds play and more damage is done. However, sometimes it says this but then the monster "is dodging" so you don't score any damage. Anyone else seen this?

• Like 3

All character stat values for each level are predetermined, and contained in a table.  However, based on the character's name, two of the four stats (Strength, Agility, HP, and MP) are reduced.

The "Excellent move! It is dodging!" is a flaw in the original NES game as well; the critical hit is determined before checking monster evasion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

All character stat values for each level are predetermined, and contained in a table.  However, based on the character's name, two of the four stats (Strength, Agility, HP, and MP) are reduced.

The "Excellent move! It is dodging!" is a flaw in the original NES game as well; the critical hit is determined before checking monster evasion.

Great info, thanks!

When I first began working on Dragon Quest, I originally had the character movement and text speed faster, as well as omitting some of the excessive menus, but as I got further along with development, I decided I liked the idea of replicating what we would have had back in the day.  In some ways the flaws have their own charm.

If you want quality of life, you can easily play one of the mobile ports of Dragon Quest.  When I think of older consoles and computers, having the clunkier gameplay just feels appropriate.  Not to mention having to draw out maps on graph paper, or writing down clues for old RPGs as opposed to the hand holding of newer titles.

• Like 7

More than just adding charm, my experience with trying to fix flaws in some games is that you can actually break those games.

I found 2 recent examples in which fixing flaws would unreasonably increase or decrease difficulty. So I left those alone.

Some games are flawed gems, but still gems ;-)

Now, when it comes to known exploits... that's a tough one 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

@skywaffle - I just want to say thank you for writing the port of Dragon Quest to Intellivision! Its amazing. I can't stop playing it.

Funny (not really) story. I am in Australia and I use an Inty 2 as I can use the new controllers and I don't get the PAL screen size. As I don't have a 16.8v or whatever weirdness that thing is, I use a step-down transformer. I got to level 5 and the Intv 2 turned off. Felt the step-down transformer. It was so hot it was nearly melting the carpet. Lost my progress back to level 2. I had, at this stage, not realised that taking note of the codes from the king was important. I had assumed (wrongly) that it also saved. Grabbed a more powerful unit than the cheap Chinese step-down transformer I was using. Played for another 30 minutes. Lost my progress again as it turned off. This time, the 16.8v Inty 2 transformer was still hot from the previous transformer and must have been putting out strange voltages and turned it off again.

I am now playing it on my PAL Intellivision 1 flawlessly.

Love the game. Its clear I haven't played a game continuously as long as I have your game and never really experienced these problems.

Great work!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, abeckett said:

Dearest @skywaffle

In the dungeons under the throne room of Charlock Castle, I am really struggling to find the sword. I may have looked at a walkthrough for a game of a very similar nature and the instructions are not the same.

Any hints for me? :)

Anthony

Hmm...  I know there's 3 entrance including the hidden entrance behind the throne room chair.  I think the false entrance lead you to Edrick's sword.  Or may be on 4th or 5th level that has an exit leading to another room.  This is based off my memory.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:12 AM, abeckett said:

In the dungeons under the throne room of Charlock Castle, I am really struggling to find the sword. I may have looked at a walkthrough for a game of a very similar nature and the instructions are not the same.

Any hints for me? :)

Getting Erdrick's Sword is tricky.  You have to go three levels deep, taking an exact set of stairs each time, then work your way back upward.

I don't know if this is a glitch or not. But when i was playing it the other day and was fighting the Green Dragon and if he killed me i got warped back to Tantegel Castle which is normal. But if i left the castle grounds i wasn't right next to the castle but it warped me right back to the Swamp Cave. I'm not sure if that is an intended mechanic or a glitch. 

On 2/18/2024 at 12:15 AM, IntellivisionDude said:

But if i left the castle grounds i wasn't right next to the castle but it warped me right back to the Swamp Cave. I'm not sure if that is an intended mechanic or a glitch. 

Probably a glitch.  He probably forgot to move the position that you enter a cave to the castle.  And that cave has 2 exits, and probably a unique case for this bug to happen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Probably a glitch.  He probably forgot to move the position that you enter a cave to the castle.  And that cave has 2 exits, and probably a unique case for this bug to happen.

It happened again last night. But this time it was the Rock Mountain Cave. After venturing through the cave and leaving safely i went south to venture around and died. After leaving the castle grounds i was warped back to the entrance to that Cave. It's quite possible it does this for all the caves. Not a big deal. 

This is in fact a newly discovered bug. 

not worth a recall, but I will reprogram anyone’s board with the fixed ROM for free (you pay shipping). I can include the reprogrammed cart in your next order for no extra charge. I will also send a replacement ROM for any ROM purchasers. 

I am NOT invoking a recall for this minor issue, but I will replace any cart or ROM for free as long as I’m not out of pocket. 

(Yes, the game boards are re-programmable)

* The programmer is working to resolve this unforeseen bug that showed up during one of the last minute changes prior to deployment. 

Thanks for finding this Bug Intellivision Dude!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kamikazi26 said:

This is in fact a newly discovered bug. 

not worth a recall, but I will reprogram anyone’s board with the fixed ROM for free (you pay shipping). I can include the reprogrammed cart in your next order for no extra charge. I will also send a replacement ROM for any ROM purchasers. 

I am NOT invoking a recall for this minor issue, but I will replace any cart or ROM for free as long as I’m not out of pocket. 

(Yes, the game boards are re-programmable)

* The programmer is working to resolve this unforeseen bug that showed up during one of the last minute changes prior to deployment. 

Thanks for finding this Bug Intellivision Dude!

No problem. I'm still playing through the game. 😁

I have replaced the ROM on my website with the fixed rom (V1.1). It is available for everyone who has purchased a ROM to re-download the new version. Just log into your account, and click on "Digital Downloads". it will be available to re-download.

The new version (V1.1) is indicated at the Load/Continue screen. This is how you can tell both ROMs apart.

An alternative method is to use your original email download link to re-download it.

Just be careful, i only added 1 additional download attempt per client.

For those that bought CIB, I can re-program your boards for free, but since this is not a recall, I can't be out of pocket. You can mail me your boards, and i can include it for free shipping with your next purchase, you can pre-pay return shipping, purchase a new board if you wish, or come see me at PRGE and I can program it for you there.

PM me if you have any further questions..

cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I prefer the glitch.  I am the end stage where I am leveling up and have no need for gold.  I am at the last town gaining experience points and if I die I end up back at the town.  If I ended up back at the castle I would have to trudge through all that land to get back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numan said:

I prefer the glitch.  I am the end stage where I am leveling up and have no need for gold.  I am at the last town gaining experience points and if I die I end up back at the town.  If I ended up back at the castle I would have to trudge through all that land to get back.

I had the same experience! I honestly thought it was supposed to be that way, it did help at the end when I didn't need to buy any more gear and could spend my money on reincarnation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:10 AM, Numan said:

That's good to know,whatever makes the game easier for me is almost always better!!!😄

• Like 1