IGNORED

Famous/infamous bootleg/pirate releases

I've been thinking back to my college years in the mid to late-80s and remembering all the pirating I did. It started me wondering about bootleg releases of titles. The two most famous that come to mind are The Last Starfighter/Star Raiders II and Behind Jaggi Lines/Rescue at Fractalus! I'm sure there are others I've forgotten and maybe even more that I've never know about. What others are you guys aware of?

• Like 1

Ballblaster, early less complete version of Ballblazer.

Though I'd not realised at the time, Glenn the 5200 man's conversions of games we'd otherwise not have gotten.

Otherwise, not a great deal.  There was the occasional game with trainers but practically nothing with a cracktro.  The usual was there wasn't even a modification or splash screen announcing who supplied the game.

• Like 2

Everybody I knew had Berzerk for the 8-bits much earlier than its 5200 release and thought it was awesome (which it really was as a port in that time).

Berzerk was never released for the 8bits. The version we played was not a Glen conversion and only worked on 400/800s.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:10 PM, 13matt said:

I had a copy of Fractalus called "Behind the Jedi Lines" 

I can't say I ever saw that one, just the more common Jaggi Lines version. I wonder if it was just a hacker playing around with the already released bootleg version?

Edited by bfollowell