IGNORED

PCUAE Atari2600+ USB Rom Loader

Spanner

Better Link

https://github.com/CommodoreOS/PCUAE-Atari2600-USB-ROM-Loader/releases

You can use command line in Stella so if you wanted you can run a game from its binary, like how you do in Retroarch, all the options in the GUI are on the command line too... :) 
It tries to run a game in Stella Cartridge Mode where it tries to read a cartridge, all I did was kill retroarch at the point it runs it and got it to run stella instead and point Stella to the /tmp/Atari2600.bin file.

Edited by Spanner

Oh... almost forgot, jj0 compiled Stella for me... :) it was compiled on his x64 PC Ubuntu chroot to Armbian Xenial, so to make it think it was been compiled on Xenial, so running another Linux inside Linux, I still think thats cool now how you can do that in Linux... :)

• Like 1

The dmenu.bin file after it reads a cartridge it closes itself, that's why its in a while statement so it restarts it again when you plug in another cartridge in so it can read it again, it takes 10 seconds for it to read a cartridge, maybe to do with the way Retroarch is loaded after it, you would see the dmenu bleeding thought the Retroarch screen if it was not closed, the only time it continues to run is when there's no cartridge plugged in as its waiting for a cartridge to be inserted and says `Loading Game...` then `Loading Game Error` on the screen, it should really say `Please Insert Cartridge` not `Loading Game Error` because there is no cart in the slot so no loading error, there should only be a loading error if it has a problem reading the cartridge 

Edited by Spanner

What I need to work out now is how does the Deeplay Menu read the Deeplay-keys Controller device, if you run Retroarch without the dmenu.bin then the switches do not work, Retroarch does see 3 controller devices so 2 of them are the controller device for the 2 joysticks and one of them is the Deeplay-keys controller device.

What are these, the keys that Retroarch reconise on the console(SELECT and RESET the first 2 keys --deint ), this is coming from the dmenu.bin after it reads a cartridge, these only appear if it reads from a cartridge ok.

--deint_joystick_key 267
--deint_joystick_key 286
--uninit_my_display 155
--uninit_my_display 163
--uninit_my_display 170
--uninit_my_display 179

Do these change depending on what game is in the slot...?

The SELECT and RESET switches work in Stella OK.

Edited by Spanner

• 2 weeks later...

USB ROM Loader has now been added to PCUAE so its GitHub page will not be updated anymore, you can use shortcuts on the keyboard to load a Mode, they are on the F-keys on the keyboard so CTRL+F-key so RA Mode, Amiga Mode, Atari Mode, MSX/Colecovison Mode, VICE Mode and other settings.

PCUAE Download... https://github.com/CommodoreOS/PCUAE

Added Experiment Mode(Experimental Firmware) to PCUAE now, you can enable it with CTRL+E on the keyboard.

image.thumb.png.4d535de299a838fdaadd5fff7cf795f8.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 6:38 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Yeah, but leaving out the fact that you need to solder a micro usb port onto the main board to get this to work is kind of an important detail.

It has a space on the main board for a micro sdcard adapter to be installed wouldn't that help

Update: Its now a lot easier to install PCUAE on the Atari2600 Plus.

You need to flash the `update-boot-pcuae-atari2600-plus.img` to the Atari2600-Plus to boot PCUAE on it, it replaces the dmenu.bin file in the /oem partition so it boots PCUAE from the PCUAE USB Drive.

So no need for soldering or using Putty or a Serial-USB now, you just now need a working USB Drive on the Atari2600 Plus, if your plug one into it and you power it on and its Colour switch is on Color it will mount the USB Drive on the PC, if its USB-C cable is plugged into the PC, then all you do is switch the Color switch to B/W and restart the machine and it will boot from the PCUAE USB Drive if its plugged in to the Atari2600 Plus.
More info here:
https://thec64community.online/thread/1658/pcuae-atari2600-plus-deeplay-loader

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spanner !

First, SINCERE THANKS AND HUGS for PCUAE: I've been using it since the C64 mini version, and it's a godsend. And the new stuff you've put out for the A500 mini and the 2600+ is even more amazing.

But I've only one criticism to make :  THE CX26501 PADDLES ATARI RELEASED RECENTLY DO NOT WORK IN PCUAE, NOT IN STELLA MODE AND NOT IN RETROARCH MODE (I tried Kaboom! and Guardian, and Guardian accepted the button presses, but neither game read the analog spinner input). I connected the 2600+ in "adaptor" mode to my Win 11 PC and THEGamepad controller showed up alright in "Devices" and I could check the Analog X and Y axis inputs in "Game Controller Properties" bar graphs, so I know my paddles work apart from the fact that I've played the 4-in-1 cartridge a lot).

I could also notice that the X and Y analog axes reported by Windows are not being mapped by Stella 64-bit, nor by Retroarch for Windows. Maybe there's a trick the 2600+ does with the mapping to make it look like an analog joystick to both Stella and Retroarch. I've played all the paddle games in Stella 64-bit for windows using the "left-analog" stick on my Logitech F310, so I know this approach works.

I also have a question about "Modes" : How do you load roms from USB in "native" mode ?  When I set the Stella and Retroarch flags to "no" in .options/atari2600_plus_options_flag_file, PCUAE shows its '2600 Mode' loading-from-USB screen, then the 'Official' loading-game-... screen, and then goes back to the '2600 Mode' loading... screen. Retroacrh Mode boots from USB alright, same for 7800 mode (like in your video). Could it be related to ROM formats ? 

Sorry for the long post, but I've spent many hours on this and reading on the internet.

Thanks Again and Endlees Kudos For Your Work !

Bernie Paul

Posted (edited)

I am glad you like PCUAE... :)

Not sure what hampering with the Paddles, have to check, I have the Paddles from my Atari VCS so they should work the same and Paddles from the Atari 50 Flashback so one should work with it, maybe you need a different setting in Stella so the Paddles work in it, never tested the Paddles in Stella, only the Atari joysticks.

You can run roms in it but have to have a cartridge in the slot(10 in1 cartridge) now so it loads the ROM and so the switches work on the console, you can disable the DMenu too(CTRL-D) if you want so it just loads Retroarch but the switches do not work then, do not know why.

Here is the help screen from the PCUAE shortcut key selector, you see it in Putty if you press CTRL on the keyboard, I made mainly for me so I know what key does what and I can easy copy it and post it if I need too... :)

Pick `CTRL-0` to load your own game then put ROM in `/PCUAE-Atari-Games/Run_From_USB` folder and name it `Atari2600-1.bin`(2600 game) or `Atari7800-1.bin`(7800 game) then put the USB Drive back in the Atari2600 Plus and it should load the ROM file when you start the console.

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
                ***Project Carousel USB Anniversary Edition(PCUAE) by Spannernick***
                              PCUAE idea and created by Spannernick,
                                      RetroNuts on YouTube,
                              For THEC64 Mini,THEC64 Maxi,THEVIC 20,
                         and now for THEA500 Mini and Atari 2600 plus too
                              This is free for non commercial use,
                                           NOT to SELL.

***HELP***
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Press and HOLD DOWN CTRL Key then Press the other Key and HOLD both DOWN for 2 seconds          #
# or for as long as it takes for the screen to goes black(blank).                                 #
#=================================================================================================#
 CTRL+F1 - Enable Stella Mode, Run ROM Game Files in Stella.
 CTRL+F2 - Enable Stella Cartridge Mode, Run 2600 Cartridges in Stella Only, not 7800.
 CTRL+F3 - Retroarch Mode(beta), Run Retroarch GUI and its Cores.
 CTRL+F4 - Back to PCUAE Mode, back too or Restart PCUAE Mode.
 CTRL+F5 - Amiga Mode(PUAE) Amiga Workbench 1.3.
 CTRL+F6 - MSX/Colecovision Mode, Run ROM Games for MSX and COL.
 CTRL+F7 - ATARI ST Mode, Run the Atari ST Hard Drive
 CTRL+F8 - Vice Mode, Run 6 CBM Machines, VIC20, PET, C64, C16/Plus4, C128 and C64 DTV.
 CTRL+F9 - Power Off Safely(USB DRIVE).
 CTRL+F10 - Reset.
#=================================================================================================#
 CTRL+? - Disable Atari2600 Plus Shortcut Key Selector, to use the shortcuts in Stella.
 You only need to do this if your running Stella and want to use one of its CTRL and F keys.
 Press CTRL+? again to enable this again to turn it on.
 Atari 2600/7800 Games On PCUAE USB Drive for the Atari2600 Plus
CTRL+1 - Enable Astroids...
CTRL+2 - Enable Berzerk Voice...
CTRL+3 - Enable BMX Airmaster...
CTRL+4 - Enable Winter Games...
CTRL+5 - Enable Baby Pac Man(7800)...
CTRL+6 - Enable Choplifter...
CTRL+7 - Enable Graze...
CTRL+8 - Enable Super Stunt Cycle(7800)...
CTRL+9 - Enable Pole Position II(7800)...
CTRL+0 - Enable your own game...
 CTRL+E - Experiment Mode(EXF)(Experimental Firmware v1.1x-r2, version 2).
 Use at your own risk, might have bugs, by Raz0red, Ben and the PLAION Team, from Atari Age forum,
 Beta Firmware.
 CTRL+R - Toggle 50/60Hz Mode, 50hz PAL or 60hz NTSC, 60hz is faster then 50hz so games will run
 faster if your on 50hz but if your on 60hz already then if changed to 50hz it will run the game
 slower.
 CTRL+D - Toggle Dmenu Enble, Disable, Disabling the DMENU will disable the SELECT,RESET Switches
 On the console but can boot a game from USB without a cartridge in the slot.

You only see the key combo below if the DMenu is disabled, it does not work or show if the DMenu is enabled.

CTRL+TAB - 4:3 or 16:9 Size Screen, 4:3 is what the Atari2600(VCS) used origanally on a CRT TV"
 screen in 1977, so use 4:3 if you want it to look how it did origanlly, 16:9 is for Widescreen
 TVs now so it has no black bars at ither sides of the screen so it streches across the screen.
 If DMENU is enabled this will not apear, you can use the switch behind the RESET switch on the
 console to change the screen size.

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)

Idea: use a cartridge game that uses Paddle so it loads its setting in the DMenu, so you could use Missile Command from the 10 in 1 Cartridge because that can use Paddles as far as I know and see if the Paddles work with the ROM file your loading, it might be down to using the right cartridge with the ROM file your loading in PCUAE.

Edited by Spanner

Hi Spanner !

Many thanks for your propmt answer, which came just a few minutes ago and right about the time AtariAge vetted my registration.

I don't mean to annoy you, but the instructions are not clear yet for me : 1) Do I have to pres 'CTRL+0' when I start the console (Power ON, TV Type B-W) ?  2) What options do I need to set in the 'flags' file ? ..... 

And lastly, your idea of starting the console with a 'paddle' cartridge is great and I didn't know that you could play Missile Command with paddles (will try it). But to test your DMenu theory I will use the 4-in-1 cartridge with dip switches set for Breakout so that DMenu is absolutely forced to load its paddle component, because that game can't be played otherwise.

Could you give me details on how to dump roms from cartridges to USB ?  The PCUAE instructions seem a bit vague on that, and I'm thinking that I should test the paddles loading a rom dumped from the 4-in-1 cartridge (perhaps Night Driver), to rule out any possible rom-sourcing-related factors in the 'paddle problem'.

Posted (edited)

Once you flash the img to the console you should not need to press any shortcuts or anything or do anything, just make sure it can see the USB Drive properly, once it starts to load PCUAE it will come up with a blue screen saying it setting up PCUAE so please wait, it will only takes about a couple of minutes to do that then it will then reboot itself and reboot PCUAE.
Then after that you can use the shortcuts on the keyboard or THEGamepad.
If you have no keyboard or THEGamepad you can change PCUAE settings if you go into `\.options\atari2600_plus_options_flag_files` you see a .txt file in there called `pcuae_settings.txt` you can change the PCUAE settings in that file or use the keyboard, I made it before adding the shortcuts to the keyboard so you had a way of changing them, when you use a shortcut on the keyboard the setting in the file will change too, they are connected.
Some of the shortcut on the keyboard and on THEGamepad are on the screen but not all of them they would not all fit on the screen so just the main ones.

It copies the dump of the cartridge to: `\.options\dumper-download` before loading it, it copies the cartridge in Stella Cartridge Mode and Original Cartridge Mode automatically.

PCUAE-Settings.txt file

#======================================================================#
#                    Atari2600 PLUS PCUAE Settings                     #
# These are changed on the THEA500 Gamepad Shortcut Buttons Menu+AXYB  #
# or you can chanage them in here too if you do not have one           #
# You can swich modes on the keyboard now too using the CTRL+F Keys.   #
#         Modes are enabled(yes) or disabled(no) in this file          #
#      Shortcut Keyboard/Gamepad Screen Display Time In Seconds        #
#                   0 is off and use a minimum of 5                    #
TIME=5
#                       PCUAE Settings Selection                       #
# Disabling the DMENU will disable the SELECT,RESET switches on the    #
# console but can boot a game from USB without a cartridge in the slot #
#                          Yaft PCUAE SETUP                            #
# Its the blue Screen you see the first time you boot up PCUAE you can #
# manully run it if you need too.                                      #
YAFT_PCUAE_SETUP=no
DISABLE_DMENU=no
#                         PCUAE Modes Selection                        #
DUMPER_MODE=yes
STELLA_MODE=no
STELLA_CARTRIDGE_MODE=no
RETROARCH_MODE=no
AMIGA_MODE=no
HATARI_MODE=no
MSX_MODE=no
VICE_MODE=no
#                        Hatari Mode Selection                         #
#                      No = Hatari | Yes Retroarch                     #
RETROARCH=yes
#                            Amiga Selection                           #
WBADVSP=no
WB_13=no
SIMON_MODE=no
#                         Beta Modes Selection                         #
SCREEN_43_MODE=yes
REFRESH_RATE_50=no
#                     Experimental Mode Selection                      #
EXPERIMENTAL_MODE=no
#                     Random Music Mode Selection                      #
RANDOM_MUSIC_MODE=yes

Here are the Shortcut Keys on the keyboard:

RetroNuts on YouTube,
                                           NOT to SELL.

***HELP***
# Press and HOLD DOWN CTRL Key then Press the other Key and HOLD both DOWN for 2 seconds          #
# or for as long as it takes for the screen to goes black(blank).                                 #
 CTRL+F1 - Enable Stella Mode, Run ROM Game Files in Stella.
 CTRL+F2 - Enable Stella Cartridge Mode, Run 2600 Cartridges in Stella Only, not 7800.
 CTRL+F3 - Retroarch Mode(beta), Run Retroarch GUI and its Cores.
 CTRL+F4 - Back to PCUAE Mode, back too or Restart PCUAE Mode.
 CTRL+F5 - Amiga Mode(PUAE) Amiga Workbench 1.3.
 CTRL+F6 - MSX/Colecovision Mode, Run ROM Games for MSX and COL.
 CTRL+F7 - ATARI ST Mode, Run the Atari ST Hard Drive
 CTRL+F8 - Vice Mode, Run 6 CBM Machine, VIC20, PET, C64, C61/Plus4, C128 and C64 DTV.
 CTRL+F9 - Power Off Safely(USB DRIVE).
 CTRL+F10 - Reset.
 CTRL+Backspace - Origanl Cartridge Mode, This is the Cartridge Mode that you get if you start the
 console without the PCUAE USB Drive plugged in.
 This will backup your Cartridge for you as a .bin files too in /.options/dumper-download so if you
 want a copy of it or want to load it on something else, you might find some carts have loading
 problems and this is one way of trying to perserve a copy of it.
 CTRL+? - Disable Atari2600 Plus Shortcut Key Selector, to use the shortcuts in Stella.
 You only need to do this if your running Stella and want to use one of its CTRL and F keys.
 Press CTRL+? again to enable this again to turn it on.
 Atari 2600/7800 Games On PCUAE USB Drive for the Atari2600 Plus
CTRL+1 - Enable Astroids...
CTRL+2 - Enable Berzerk Voice...
CTRL+3 - Enable BMX Airmaster...
CTRL+4 - Enable Winter Games...
CTRL+5 - Enable Baby Pac Man(7800)...
CTRL+6 - Enable Choplifter...
CTRL+7 - Enable Graze...
CTRL+8 - Enable Super Stunt Cycle(7800)...
CTRL+9 - Enable Pole Position II(7800)...
CTRL+0 - Enable your own game...
 CTRL+E - Experiment Mode(EXF)(Experimental Firmware v1.1x-r2, version 2).
 Use at your own risk, might have bugs, by Raz0red, Ben and the PLAION Team, from Atari Age forum,
 Beta Firmware.
 CTRL+R - Toggle 50/60Hz Mode, 50hz PAL or 60hz NTSC, 60hz is faster then 50hz so games will run
 faster if your on 50hz but if your on 60hz already then if changed to 50hz it will run the game
 slower.
 CTRL+D - Toggle Dmenu Enble, Disable, Disabling the DMENU will disable the SELECT,RESET Switches
 On the console but can boot a game from USB without a cartridge in the slot.

Here are the Shortcuts on THEGamepad:

RetroNuts on YouTube,
                                           NOT to SELL.

***HELP***
Menu+A - Enable Stella Mode.
Menu+B - Back to PCUAE Mode(Restart USB Loader Mode).
Menu+X - Enable Stella Cartridge Mode.
Menu+Y - Retroarch Mode(beta)
Menu+Home - AMIGA Mode
Menu+RSB - Reset
Menu+LSB - Power Off Safely(USB DRIVE)

Thinking about THEGamepad, the Atari Joystick might work from THE400 Mini too, I give it a try when I get it, and the shortcuts from THEGamepad might work on it too.
Hope this helps... :)

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)

I just enabled the internet on the Atari2600 Plus so PCUAE Network Mode is working so will be coming in the next version of PCUAE.
This is WinSCP and connected to the Atari2600 Plus and its files are on the right window, its OS Linux.

Screenshot2024-03-23160809.thumb.png.5cd43657d9069ea4bcc6d0050182be2f.png

#------------------------------------------
 Searching for a network, eth0 or wlan0...
#-------------------------------------------

Checking USB Network Adapter, Ethernet Adapters Now.
 For The Atari2600 Plus

udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: sending select for 192.168.0.42
udhcpc: lease of 192.168.0.42 obtained, lease time 86400
deleting routers
adding dns 192.168.0.1
#--------------------------------------
 Mode Loading: PCUAE Mode
removed '/tmp/pcu/.options/mode_option_flag_files/boot_pcuae_enabled'

Playing WAVE '/tmp/pcu/.options/Sounds/Atari_2600_plus.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

PING www.google.com (216.58.204.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lhr25s13-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.204.68): icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=6.47 ms
64 bytes from lhr25s13-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.204.68): icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=7.44 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.476/6.961/7.446/0.485 ms

#--------------#
  PCUAE Updater.
 #--------------#

killall: retroarch: no process killed
killall: retroarch: no process killed

#---------------------------------------------------------------#
  OK, PCUAE Main Update has run already, PCUAE is update to date,
  Updating canceled.
 #---------------------------------------------------------------#
 Turning on the SCP Server now...
 Use SCP only: user: root pass: deeplay
 Use WinSCP and SCP to connect not SFTP.

Done... SCP Server ready.

[629] Jan 01 00:00:25 Running in background

#-----------------------------------
 All Done... PCUAE Network Mode
 is now running in the background.
#-----------------------------------

eth0 is up and connected
OK, All Done.

You can use the same ethernet network adapter used on THEC64.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

Spanner !

HUGE THANKS AGAIN !  I tried everything you've described, and your shortcuts list was a godsend. But... it would be great if you updated the instructions ion both GitHub and C64 Community to say that changing modes via shortcuts (keyboard or game pad) also changes the .txt flags, because it wasn't obvious and, at least in my case, led to me feeling I'd messed up my USB when it didn't reboot to the same mode as the previous time.

As for the ROM dumps, I really feel very stupid not to have searched the .options folder, because I searched all over everywhere else !  So thank you again for that.

And lastly, the PADDLES are still not working in any of the modes, even booting with the 4-in-1 cartridge that comes bundled with them in the same box. I guess that more work has to be done in deciphering the mysteries of the "dmenu" drivers.

Anyway, thanks again and .... will be off this forum some time because I have to go TRY THE NEWEST PCUAE ON MY C64 AND MY A500 MINI !

Bernie Paul.

Hi,

i tryed today PCUAE 3.7.5. on the 2600+ I. tested it only with one usb-stick on otgcable.

So It boots per default into PolePositionII 7800

This game works with the normal Joystick well.

But how can I load a original cartridge without PCUAE in USB?

When I switch to color, the 2600+ shows up the Atari Logo an nothing else happens any more, It don't load any Cartridge anymore...

Must I go back to stock firmware to play a cartridge?

Need here a little help

Edited by atarimonster

Posted (edited)

It could be a bug, it should boot if it does not see the USB plugged in so if you switch to color, so the dmenu should load, I have have a look.
I checked my Atari2600 Plus and it boots the dmenu without the USB plugged in... weird.

Are you using the latest version of PCUAE...?

image.thumb.png.e59bf7a9e4e699bb79d40b888ceb4811.png

Edited by Spanner

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Spanner !  I was playing with 2600+ last night, using PCUAE 4.1.1. and it worked great at laoding cartridges. I activated cartridge loading via the .txt file, since my usb OTG is a mini-usb a thus is plugged into the internal port, son no USB controllers for me. Maybe that'll address Atarimonster's problem, just play the cartridges in PCAUE Stella (it's the same as the factory one, I assume). BUT I have one question in that regard :  How do I remove Stella's on-screen messages ?  (It says "Stella-0.7" at the bottom).

And if it's not too to much to ask :  Is there any way that I can fit PCUAE, just the 2600+ components, on a 2 GB stick (1.84 gb available after formatting) ?