IGNORED

Adam with Lower 32K RAM Bad, need advice

chad5200

I have two Coleco Adams.

One is performing fine.  However the other is misbehaving and I suspect RAM issues.

I put  "ADAM Final Test - Menu Version (198x) (Coleco).rom" on an AtariMax cartridge.  I have run menu option 6 (TEST RAM) and the Adam that is performing fine passed the test.  However this is the result of the other Adam that is misbehaving:

64K RAM TEST

-----------------

LOWER 32K RAM BAD

WROTE FF READ 00 AT 0100

UPPER 32K RAM OK

Can anyone tell me where to go from here?  I haven't opened up the Adam yet, but are there pictures or instructions somewhere as to which RAM chips are the "LOWER 32K RAM"?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@NIAD replied to a separate post I had made that lead me to the finding the bad RAM.  He mentioned using "Gamma Debug to see if any system RAM errors are found".

Gamma Debug returned this result:

ColecoAdamGammaDebugResults.thumb.jpg.165d24acbcaed26f0a5e0c8da48c443e.jpg

Which means I have to replace this U18 chip which according to schematics is 4164:

ColecoAdamBadRamU18.thumb.jpg.beca02383d7c0156e5a0e98a4b14cbeb.jpg

The writing on that is R41250/6665.

I have this in my supplies... was wondering if this would be a good replacement? 

4164RAM.thumb.jpg.ffaa648f6c2d734695b975d724e9bbd3.jpg

Also, is there anything special I need to know about Coleco Adam RAM?

Thanks,

Chad

Well, one thing I can say is that Motorola's early chip marking SUCKS.  I can't look up exact info on what your existing chip is.  That said, your specimen is pin-compatible with it.  The only remaining question is if it's fast enough.  They make a MCM6665-20 and a MCM6665-15.

Okay, I see another board that used Mostek (pronounced "mistake") memory.  It has a -20 suffix.  So that lends some confidence that your -20 memory should work.