IGNORED

Any chance for a 5200 mini or flashback?

Rockymin

Do you think someone like Atari or ATGames would make a 5200 mini?  Like the 400 mini or the 2600 Flashback?  And maybe it could have an improved self-centering controller. 

Would it make sense or would it be too expensive to make?  I would love to see one and buy one.

5 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Do you think someone like Atari or ATGames would make a 5200 mini?  Like the 400 mini or the 2600 Flashback?  And maybe it could have an improved self-centering controller. 

Would it make sense or would it be too expensive to make?  I would love to see one and buy one.

Since inside the 400 mini is an emulator which can emulate Atari 5200, then all needed is a 5200-style casing and a controller with a keypad. But given the popularity of the 5200, it would be questionable.

I am very much surprised with the 400 mini anyway. It was not such a hit like 2600 or Commodore C64.

2 minutes ago, baktra said:

Since inside the 400 mini is an emulator which can emulate Atari 5200, then all needed is a 5200-style casing and a controller with a keypad. But given the popularity of the 5200, it would be questionable.

I am very much surprised with the 400 mini anyway. It was not such a hit like 2600 or Commodore C64.

Yeah, I know it's questionable because of how it did BITD as well.  But it seems more popular now than then.  And they can release it in Europe as well, since the original only released in NA.  I think it could sell pretty well, and if they made a better version of the 5200 controller with self centering and all, that alone might be able to sell it.

I agree with you that the controller would be a selling point, but I think pretty much all of the 5200 games would be covered by the 400, so I'm not sure they would feel it's a prudent investment. Too bad. I'd be up for one.

The 400 had the same digital joystick as the 2600 and 7800. The 5200 had a weird floppy analog stick. Some of the 5200 games play fine with a digital stick, but many don't. (I've been dabbling in Atari 8-bit emulation lately because of the upcoming 400 plug-n-play)

I don't think enough people would want to relive the 5200 joystick for it to be a viable product, even if it were self-centering and more durable. 

• Like 1

While visually an actual 5200 mini unit and controller would look awesome, it would suffer the same fate as limited 5200 compilations that exist, and that would be limited titles that would be on it due to licensing issues.  The original 5200 had fantastic arcade ports, that the current Atari would never get the licensing rights to. A 5200 mini would contain Super BReakout, Star Raiders, Centipede, the unreleased Asteroids, Miner 2049er and little else.

• Like 1

It would be kind of redundant since the 400 Mini more or less covers the 5200, and with controllers people aren't going to bitch about. Not as well as if it had analog joysticks, but it's close enough for people who think the 5200 and 400/800 are the same thing anyway.

6 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

While visually an actual 5200 mini unit and controller would look awesome, it would suffer the same fate as limited 5200 compilations that exist, and that would be limited titles that would be on it due to licensing issues.  The original 5200 had fantastic arcade ports, that the current Atari would never get the licensing rights to. A 5200 mini would contain Super BReakout, Star Raiders, Centipede, the unreleased Asteroids, Miner 2049er and little else.

They really need to overhaul these copyright laws.  Those games are almost 50 years old at this point, they aren't going to make the money off them that they did when the games were new.  So they shouldn't be so nitpicky about the specific console versions of those games being included in collections like this.  And they have Space Invaders and Activision games on the Flashback 12, they should be able to put others on these things.

• Like 1