IGNORED

lynx and rechargeable nimh batterys.

pcguy

HI,

I have a lynx, and being a big fan of rechargeable nimh batteries, has anyone here tried them and had good success?

I use nimh in all my other devices and never seem to have trouble, is it safe to do this to cut down on costs?

I was thinking of using 2200mah AA batteries

I have 1800mah NiMH batteries. They work in my Lynx II, but not my Lynx I. I've been tempted to buy more, with different mah ratings, to see if they might work with the Lynx I.

My NiMH won't work with my Game gear at all. If any devices cried out for the goodness of NiMH, it's the Lynx and the GG.

I would love to have some of us compare results, and find a brand and mah rating that would allow us to power Lynx I's or GG's with the longer lasting NiMH's.

I just tried running my lynx 1 on nimh batteries, alas, it didnt even fire up, just a faint pop noise, I guess there isnt enough voltage to get it going at first. I will try again with some "hotter" batteries. It works fine on alkalines

I don't know if this is common but to those having problems w/ the Lynx 1. I have a Lynx 1 that refuses to work w/ any top end batteries (i.e. Energizer e2's, Duricell Ultras, etc). It works perfectly w/ cheapo no name alkalines or I can get it to work w/ the top end batteries if I put in one dead batterie w/ 5 good ones (doesn't last as long though). So you're problem may (and that's a big MAY :D ) be that the NiMH batteries are better than you need instead of not good enough. Just a thought.

Hi,

I went back and tested all my batteries with a volt-meter. Come to find out, one of the cells I was using was slightly below-spec on voltage, I swapped it out with a fresh 2200 mah battery and all is well now. I also went back and tested a set of 1800mah batteries, and they work fine as well. This was all done on a lynx I system, so it looks like the voltage is the key to getting it to work right! ;)

I use the generic 2200mah and 1800mah battteries which i sell on ebay. I won't provide a direct link to the auction as I am not attempting to market them. Suffice to say, they are plain generic chinese imports. They work fine, so I would assume any voltage matched nimh batteries would work. They key is to match voltages among the 6 you are going to use. This is a hassle if you dont have a large lot of batteries to draw matched sets from. I tested each cell and got 6 together that yielded 1.38 or better volts per cell. This overcame the problem with the lynx I. You might get a slightly lower voltage matched set to work as well. Matching cells for output like this is also a way to get more runtime as well. The cells "fight" each other less and go longer.