IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

Maybe with the new dumper FW it is more finicky? Or the SW has got issues when save key is detected first?

I get the same result from day 1 and V1.0 (Juno 1st PAL60). I thought it is my cart as the game general works but not mine (in real HW it does).

How ever on V1.0 I got it working for one time.

I pushed it to the left as far as possible and then down, as described above!

But that worked only once for me.

In my case is probably my cart but yours did work and now it shows the same symptons... very strange🤔

• Like 2

Hello all !

I've just updated to revision 2 (from 1.0). Update completed successfully (startup shows V1.1 Stella 6.7) ... but all my PAL cartridges still run at 50hz ! 

I'm surprised, because the description of this update said : "We've made the decision to roll back to a 60hz only output "

Did I misunderstand? (I'm French, so forgive me!)

However, this update seems to improve the colors of PAL games, well!

I'm just discovering the world of the Atari VCS thanks to this 2600+, and it's a great new experience for me. Many thanks to Atari, Plaion and the community :) 

Edited by Retrojm

Is anyone else having issues with Medieval Mayhem? I just got my copy and people said it worked just fine - but I get either a black screen with noise or a colorful jumble of blocks and noise. The game works just fine in my Vader, so I'm wondering is something changed in the update. 

The people reporting that it works are not updated or in the beta, so they're using the packaged firmware. I'm using the current updates. 

Edited by Laladien

15 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I finally got around to testing more of my games on Rev 2 and the v1.1.0.9 dumper, and I found an issue new to this build.

Juno First (NTSC) no longer boots.  It loads into a black screen and a beeping / clicking sound plays continuously. 

I verified the game still works on my 7800, and I've also tested the game on previous builds.

This is what's happening for me with Medieval Mayhem. I get a black sceen with beeping and occasionally, if I'm lucky, I get a colorful screen with beeping.

Edited by Laladien
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Laladien said:

This is what's happening for me with Medieval Mayhem. I get a black sceen with beeping and occasionally, if I'm lucky, I get a colorful screen with beeping.

I can confirm my copy of Medieval Mayhem also has the same issue on my second Atari 2600+!

• Like 1

I tried playing around with the cart placement of Juno First, but I didn't have any luck.  I don't own Medieval Mayhem so I can't chime in on that, but I do plan on buying a copy eventually.

In terms of other issues, I tested the rest of my library, and I didn't run into anything new aside from the usual ones.  (See my compatibility spreadsheet for details.)

That said, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the issue I've observed with Baby Pac-Man.  The pinball mode doesn't work correctly on the 2600+ if you're playing with a CX-40+ joystick.  You should be able to move one or both flippers using the joystick.  Instead, you can only move the left flipper by pressing the fire button.  I suspect that something is breaking the game's controller detection code, and I'm not sure if that's Pro System's fault or the hardware that handles controller input.

Edited by KainXavier

20 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I can confirm my copy of Medieval Mayhem also has the same issue on my second Atari 2600+!

My Medieval Mayhem starts but the music in the demo does not seem to be right🤔

Edited by DEANJIMMY

50 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Mine was working on the first Atari 2600+ before and after the update. But not on my second Atari 2600+

What are your issues with Medieval on one of your 2600+?

In my case it plays fine but the sound is choppy.

I just started California games and I am not sure if the sound is correct (not sure if it ever was).

Do you you have one of those CPU boards with choppy California Games music and is it the same board now having issues with Medieval?

I am just poking around in the dark I guess...

21 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I just started California games and I am not sure if the sound is correct (not sure if it ever was).

Do you you have one of those CPU boards with choppy California Games music and is it the same board now having issues with Medieval?

I am just poking around in the dark I guess...

My Medieval Mayhem boots with color vertical lines and distorted sound buzzing.

My California Games runs great on my machine and the intro sounds great.

My first machine has choppy California intro music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Mine either goes to a black screen with sound distortions and buzzing OR has lots of colorful lines and buzzing sounds...

15 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

My Medieval Mayhem boots with color vertical lines and distorted sound buzzing.

My California Games runs great on my machine and the intro sounds great.

My first machine has choppy California intro music.

So the 1st machine gives you choppy California sound and the second does not start Medieval?

What about the sound of Medieval on your choppy first machine?

I've got choppy Medieval sound and probably  choppy California sound (It souns a bit like that)

And the choppy sound might be rather related to the board than the SW load

7 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

So the 1st machine gives you choppy California sound and the second does not start Medieval?

What about the sound of Medieval on your choppy first machine?

I've got choppy Medieval sound and probably  choppy California sound (It souns a bit like that)

And the choppy sound might be rather related to the board than the SW load

My first machine played Medieval Mayhem just fine no issue before or after the update. But there were to many other games that weren’t playable 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Laladien said:

Mine either goes to a black screen with sound distortions and buzzing OR has lots of colorful lines and buzzing sounds...

Mine has the same issue.

Of my homebrew games,

image.thumb.jpeg.b645ef0954956dc1ba23aedc45d09db4.jpeg

Medieval Mayhem - does not load

Centipede Trak-Ball Series - does not load

Millipede Trak-Ball Series - does not load

Missile Command Trak-Ball Series - Loads

Centipede TB 7800 - Loads

Circus Convoy - Loads

Avalanche - Loads

Conquest of Mars - Loads

and I already know the other Champ Games carts will not work on the 2600+

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

My first machine played Medieval Mayhem just fine no issue before or after the update. But there were to many other games that weren’t playable 

Well, my Medieval Mayham plays fine too but gives me choppy music. I downgraded to 1.0 and it is still choppy.

On original PAL HW the music is fine but colors are wrong, so I seem to have an NTSC cartridge.

Does anyone else has got choppy music when Medieval Mayham plays the demo?

38 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Well, my Medieval Mayham plays fine too but gives me choppy music. I downgraded to 1.0 and it is still choppy.

On original PAL HW the music is fine but colors are wrong, so I seem to have an NTSC cartridge.

Does anyone else has got choppy music when Medieval Mayham plays the demo?

Interesting to see a firmware update resolve various game results on various game machines with different results.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Fall Down player 2 no response. Player 1 can select 2 players but player 2 has no control.

Please check the thread for the new experimental load!

I got 1.1x-r1 on and Fall Down (PAL) works with two players, Tac Scan NTSC  with paddle in left port, Time Pilot 2600 NTSC white shell works, Omicron NTSC runs twinstick, HERO 2600 PAL and Galaga 7800 PAL with no stutter and 7800 PAL games have a much better palette.

Big improvements🤙

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Please check the thread for the new experimental load!

I got 1.1x-r1 on and Fall Down (PAL) works with two players, Tac Scan NTSC  with paddle in left port, Time Pilot 2600 NTSC white shell works, Omicron NTSC runs twinstick, HERO 2600 PAL and Galaga 7800 PAL with no stutter and 7800 PAL games have a much better palette.

Big improvements🤙

Back to 1.1 which dumper? Are you using? UPDATE IMG 1225.img correct?
Fall Down NTSC still no 2 player response 

Robot City NTSC no 2 player response 

Tac Scan NTSC no response 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Back to 1.1 which dumper? Are you using? UPDATE IMG 1225.img correct?
Fall Down NTSC still no 2 player response 

Robot City NTSC no 2 player response 

Tac Scan NTSC no response 

I use the debug SW from this thread.

The dumper is from Rev2, I guess...

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Thanks 1