IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

I haven't tried the update yet (my son has the only windows PC in the house and he's reluctant to let me download drivers...he probably just needs a little more cajoling).

I am confused about one aspect of the update process: So, according to the directions you update the dumper first, BEFORE downloading the driver. But...what about next time? The driver will already be on your pc, so you wouldn't be able to update the dumper before downloading the driver any more. If you want to update the dumper again in the future do you have to first remove the driver?

Edited by Glorkbot

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

I haven't tried the update yet (my son has the only windows PC in the house and he's reluctant to let me download drivers...he probably just needs a little more cajoling).

I am confused about one aspect of the update process: So, according to the directions you update the dumper first, BEFORE downloading the driver. But...what about next time? The driver will already be on your pc, so you wouldn't be able to update the dumper before downloading the driver any more. If you want to update the dumper again in the future do you have to first remove the driver?

The driver only has to be installed the first time you update. It does not prevent you from updating the dumper.

1 hour ago, pseudografx said:

The driver only has to be installed the first time you update. It does not prevent you from updating the dumper.

So you don't need the driver installed to update the dumper, but it's okay if it is installed. Got it.

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Correct, but you do need the driver installed to be able to update the software/firmware, but it only needs to be installed once, the first time.

I was surprised that you don't need the driver to update the dumper as well, but I accept that it's true haha.

The update worked for the most part. Every game that I have will play, except for the Star Ship cartridge. I have tried the yellow label & red. The game starts & looks completely normal. But, there is no controller response.  It will not steer or fire. Star Ship is the only game that I have that is still having issues. 

-All the best 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotARobot101001 said:

The update worked for the most part. Every game that I have will play, except for the Star Ship cartridge. I have tried the yellow label & red. The game starts & looks completely normal. But, there is no controller response.  It will not steer or fire. Star Ship is the only game that I have that is still having issues. 

-All the best 

Isn’t that a joystick in the right port game?

• Like 3

Installed using video instructions without any issues on win11 and original usb cable. Verified Circus Convoy (ntsc) working.

I wonder is it possible to test 4k games using the Harmony Encore? Just copy the bin file in root?

17 hours ago, yamazaki said:

Am I right in thinking that PAL games are running at 60hz in this version? 

totally, it makes that some games with fast movement look jittery sometimes but at least they don´t have disappearing graphics and the colors are allright

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 1

While testing some of the games included in my 64-game cartridge I have noticed a detail that has been present since version 1.0, there are certain games that are shown with colors that are not appropriate (I know very well that space jockey has these colors in the NTSC version but in this case it should not be shown like this) as well as the screen is shifted downwards making the lives completely invisible in this case.

captura1(2).thumb.png.e25fafee3ee7f5539ebc8c4a7cecc4e3.png

here is how it looks

captura1(1).thumb.png.dca441efcd2e8f6e2353c7690dc4149b.png

and here how it should

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Thanks 1

with all the issues with this noticed so far it makes me think it would have been a better idea to scrub the dump > emulation way and approach the task the same way as the analogue Mega Sg and Super Nt and do it in an fpga which seems to be a better fit for the purpose.  you plug a cartridge in there and it just works. even flash carts work and 'special' carts work also like paprium.

i myself bought this so that it would be easy to play my games on a moddern tv without a bowl of spagetti wireing and coverters galore, in reality only a fraction of my games finction, granted a few are games like boulderdash and the harmony cart and a load of homebrew releases but it is my beleif they would just work on an fpga implementation like the analogue offereings do and that the current implentation isnt really fit for 'my' purpose that i had intended it for.

no disrespect to the people trying to make it as best as it can be they are doing a good job, its just its not what i was expecting for a replacement machine when it was bought.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, omf said:

with all the issues with this noticed so far it makes me think it would have been a better idea to scrub the dump > emulation way and approach the task the same way as the analogue Mega Sg and Super Nt and do it in an fpga which seems to be a better fit for the purpose.  you plug a cartridge in there and it just works. even flash carts work and 'special' carts work also like paprium.

i myself bought this so that it would be easy to play my games on a moddern tv without a bowl of spagetti wireing and coverters galore, in reality only a fraction of my games finction, granted a few are games like boulderdash and the harmony cart and a load of homebrew releases but it is my beleif they would just work on an fpga implementation like the analogue offereings do and that the current implentation isnt really fit for 'my' purpose that i had intended it for.

no disrespect to the people trying to make it as best as it can be they are doing a good job, its just its not what i was expecting for a replacement machine when it was bought.

What you're asking for would be great, but it might cost 2 or 3 times as much. And I guess some special carts still wouldn't work, as any Atari games that use the DPC+ are apparently not compatible with FPGA...which is a lot of the best homebrew games. (Also Atari has had the compatibility list on it's website, so it shouldn't have been a huge surprise that some games weren't compatible.)

Another possibility would be to simply re-create the original chips and make an Atari that used those. However, it would probably be a big set-up cost for the chips (maybe even far greater than they could ever hope to recoup) if no one is currently manufacturing them.

But yes, if someone made an FPGA Atari system that played carts, I'd be first in line to buy it even if it was really expensive.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, omf said:

That’s exactly why I purchased mine to play 2600 and 7800 games that I have in my collection on a modern tv! Quite a few of my major titles are lagging not playable others have disappearing sprites! Waiting to see if the next update addresses the issues. While others don’t seem to have the same issue as mine they seem to vary! I am very happy with the corrections that were made to the 7800! I can’t say the same for the 2600!

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

(Also Atari has had the compatibility list on it's website, so it shouldn't have been a huge surprise that some games weren't compatible.)

All respect to that, but some testing clearly has been on the level of “does the cart load,” which is why games like Star Raiders are on the list despite not actually being playable, so some complaints about compatibility are valid 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I definitely sympathize with the folks that are experiencing issues with common carts like Pitfall, MsPacman, KeystoneKapers etc. (where something must just be different with their 2600 plus because all those work great on mine).  I'm bummed about driving controllers not working, but other than that the large majority of my "go to" carts are working.  I think the genius of the plus is in how much they got right with the package itself.  The feel of the switches, the DB9 and cart ports, the paddle and joystick controllers even working on original hardware, the layout of the machine giving me flashbacks to my youth, etc.  You can tell it was a labor of love getting that much correct.  Going the route of chip recreation is an awesome goal, but I don't think even that's perfect.  I believe the flashback-2 was more of a chip emulation than software emulation.  However, even that was far from 100% compatible for the folks who added a physical cartridge port.  In a perfect world the Atari website would be more clearly worded (i.e. eliminate the "no carts left behind").  Otherwise, I am ecstatic with the value of my 2600+ (ease of use, working on most of my carts, genuinely recreating the feeling I had for the machine back around 1980!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

All respect to that, but some testing clearly has been on the level of “does the cart load,” which is why games like Star Raiders are on the list despite not actually being playable, so some complaints about compatibility are valid 😉

You are exactly right! The compatibility list is why I decided to make that purchase!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kjames_s_2000 said:

I definitely sympathize with the folks that are experiencing issues with common carts like Pitfall, MsPacman, KeystoneKapers etc. (where something must just be different with their 2600 plus because all those work great on mine).  I'm bummed about driving controllers not working, but other than that the large majority of my "go to" carts are working.  I think the genius of the plus is in how much they got right with the package itself.  The feel of the switches, the DB9 and cart ports, the paddle and joystick controllers even working on original hardware, the layout of the machine giving me flashbacks to my youth, etc.  You can tell it was a labor of love getting that much correct.  Going the route of chip recreation is an awesome goal, but I don't think even that's perfect.  I believe the flashback-2 was more of a chip emulation than software emulation.  However, even that was far from 100% compatible for the folks who added a physical cartridge port.  In a perfect world the Atari website would be more clearly worded (i.e. eliminate the "no carts left behind").  Otherwise, I am ecstatic with the value of my 2600+ (ease of use, working on most of my carts, genuinely recreating the feeling I had for the machine back around 1980!)

I’m not expecting 100% I know it’s not original hardware. You mention something must be different with there 2600+ because those games work on your 2600+! WHY is something different I have the same 2600+! If mine was working like the one you have. I wouldn’t have any issues! Or maybe mine is defective! But I don’t seem to have any issues with how my 7800 games work! They all seem to be running great! So why would 2600 games be lagging it must be in the software!

Edited by MrChickenz

25 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

You are exactly right! The compatibility list is why I decided to make that purchase!

Now that I have a PAL Robot Tank my only non-playable game is Star Raiders, so I’m pretty happy. Obviously if I could even buy some of these homebrew carts in my territory, I’d have to confirm they actually work, but my main focus was 2600 games and other than minor issues with the paddles I’ve had very good results 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Now that I have a PAL Robot Tank my only non-playable game is Star Raiders, so I’m pretty happy. Obviously if I could even buy some of these homebrew carts in my territory, I’d have to confirm they actually work, but my main focus was 2600 games and other than minor issues with the paddles I’ve had very good results 🤷‍♂️

They seem to have fixed a lot of the PAL issues! That’s great I’m glad it’s working for you! For NTSC there seems to be the issue of processing speed for some games. I believe that’s what’s causing the lagging and disappearing sprites!

16 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

They seem to have fixed a lot of the PAL issues! That’s great I’m glad it’s working for you! For NTSC there seems to be the issue of processing speed for some games. I believe that’s what’s causing the lagging and disappearing sprites!

My unit on 1.0 does not seem to suffer from any of those sound issues or lag or disappearing sprites. Are they only on the 1.1 beta? (One could always revert to 1.0, if so.)

Anyhow, they did mention that they are going to try to optimize the code of future firmware updates to reduce the processing load and hopefully fix those issues.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 1