IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

3 minutes ago, mmmmbeh said:

They didn't work before I upgraded.  I have cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol 91% a few times.  I have some brasso that I usually use for my NES games, so I'll try that next.  I upgraded to v.1.1 and then upgraded to the revision.  Will keep trying.  :)

Also try putting the carts in at slightly different angles. I have had similar issues with carts that worked on my original sixer and not working on the Atari 2600+. It is a brand new piece of hardware after all. So many different carts...different fits. Every cart I own now plays fine on the latest update. 👍

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Also try putting the carts in at slightly different angles. I have had similar issues with carts that worked on my original sixer and not working on the Atari 2600+. It is a brand new piece of hardware after all. So many different carts...different fits. Every cart I own now plays fine on the latest update. 👍

Similar effect here with some old cartridges in my 2600+: Some only work when _not_ inserted fully, but only when pulled a bit out again after inserting (just a few millimeters).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, larsvonhier said:

Similar effect here with some old cartridges in my 2600+: Some only work when _not_ inserted fully, but only when pulled a bit out again after inserting (just a few millimeters).

Thank you for this advice!  I would have never thought of it.  So far I have Chopper Command, Fishing Derby, Barnstorming, Tennis, River Raid, and Strategy X working.  Will keep trying with the others.

36 minutes ago, larsvonhier said:

Keep at it. After you insert the problematic games many times at slightly different angles you get used to the sweet spot. 💪

• Like 1

This might be snake oil (coincidence), but I was having difficulty updating the dumper the second time around, because it kept showing as undetected.

I pulled my hair after reboots and re-installs of the drive (via device manager) to no avail.  Then, I realized I had changed one thing since the first update, I had moved the screen size switch from 16:9 to 4:3.

"Magically", once I switched it back to 16:9 and re-powered up in B/W mode while holding Game Select, the device was instantly detected.

I fully concede this sounds like snake oil, and I only offer it in case it somehow matters, and can help someone else.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MattelAquarius said:

This might be snake oil (coincidence), but I was having difficulty updating the dumper the second time around, because it kept showing as undetected.

I pulled my hair after reboots and re-installs of the drive (via device manager) to no avail.  Then, I realized I had changed one thing since the first update, I had moved the screen size switch from 16:9 to 4:3.

"Magically", once I switched it back to 16:9 and re-powered up in B/W mode while holding Game Select, the device was instantly detected.

I fully concede this sounds like snake oil, and I only offer it in case it somehow matters, and can help someone else.

Well thats a theory, I'll check it out tomorrow.

• Like 2

It took a while since I could start testing on V1.1 Rev2...

I can confirm the following 7800 fixes:

Asteroids Deluxe (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode 

Crazy Brix (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode

Karateka (PAL) (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)

Moon Cresta (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode

Pac-Man Collection (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode

Space Dual (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode

Space Invaders (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode

Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)

Looks great🤙

Xevious (PAL) (Palette update, less brown)

@raz0red

Excellent improvements🤙

Xevious looks a bit less brown but also not green like on original HW.

Was the palette changed only for that game or in general?

I expect the latter, as the brown ground on Commando gets an olive touch now.

Please see my pictures taken on Rev2 but the camera optimized the colors.

Would it be possible to select the palette by a hidden joystick command sequence at the beginning?

I like the old palette for Commando more.

Xevious is an improvement but still quite different.

@Ben from Plaion thats why some of us ask if they could buy the new coming games in NTSC, even they do not run (well) on original PAL HW😉

Do you know the S.E.P field in Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide through Galaxy?

The German translation was P.A.L😂

From a US perspective our PAL problems were always Somebody Else's Problem😉

20240207_122057.jpg

20240207_122047.jpg

20240207_123839.jpg

• Like 1

After trying pulling out the carts a little bit, I got them all working except for Smurf.  Does anyone have Smurf working, and do we know anything about if Pitfall II will ever be playable?  Also Crossbow is still showing wonky colors, so I hope that will be fixed with a future revision.  Thank you to all who helped me get this working!  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mmmmbeh said:

I got them all working except for Smurf.  Does anyone have Smurf working, 

Yes, I was loaned a problem Smurfs cart and the developer fixed it in the latest update. Difficult for me to comment on your cart unless you want to send it to me.

There are theories kicking about on have to get Pitfall II working but we havent looked into it deeply yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Was the palette changed only for that game or in general?

I expect the latter,

Commando looks different and Galaga too, I would say (PAL).

Please see the "green" enemy on the right in my pic (the camera changes it again a bit).

So maybe the palette change for Xevious affected those two games as well?

I do not want to downgrade, as I like the 60p output (Frogger 2600 has got no sprite issues anymore) but I am quite sure, green and blue enemies have now different colors?

If that is the case, the original palette matched better for all games and only Xevious needs a special treat🤔

The new palette is better for Xevious, even not perfect. For all others games the old palette was better 

Edit: Found an old pic and Xevious looks definitely better now.

20240207_164006.jpg

20240207_122047.jpg

20240102_140042.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, I was loaned a problem Smurfs cart and the developer fixed it in the latest update. Difficult for me to comment on your cart unless you want to send it to me.

There are theories kicking about on have to get Pitfall II working but we havent looked into it deeply yet.

What would be involved with fixing the cart itself?

On 1/24/2024 at 2:27 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

30 Grizzards Loads to blank screen with buzzing sound

I know this is very late reply, but:

The save-to-cartridge circuit on the Grizzards (AtariAge) carts is more than a gimmick, it's actually required for the game to play.

I haven't had the time to provide a Stella patch yet to support that circuit (it's similar to, but distinct from, the kind of chip in the SaveKey/AtariVox), so the best possible outcome for the 2600+ would be to possibly start the game, but then crash when the save/load operations are attempted. (I just fired it up in Stella and one tell-tale sign was, enter the Depot on the first screen and press up or down to try to switch your Grizzard companion; it will hang on a blank green screen).

Unfortunately, the "dumper" not being able to interact with the cartridge means that it will never work fully with the 2600+, but perhaps a future Stella update can make it usable.

(I have not been able to try the firmware updates yet as I don't have access to a Windows machine and the updater seems to fail to work in Wine on Linux so far. Hopefully when "1.1" is out of Beta a better updater will be available.)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Krullor said:

@Ben from Plaion This update has broken the sound on Phoenix PAL. It plays the shooting and explosion noises but none of the background. BTW this is one of my favourite games how do I roll back to version 1.0?

Flip your difficulty switches. The updated corrected the switch positions, and Phoenix plays the background sounds based on the difficulty switch position.

• Like 5

I'm really impressed with this update. Now I can run all my cartridges for Atari 7800 😃 (All of them PAL, including three homebrews) all the cartridges I have for Atari 2600 (most of them PAL), except Pick'n Pile which is not well displayed. Thanks very much!!

PS: And yes, I've tested Smurf, I have a Spanish copy, and it works very well 😊

Edited by vebxenon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Krullor said:

@Ben from Plaion This update has broken the sound on Phoenix PAL. It plays the shooting and explosion noises but none of the background. BTW this is one of my favourite games how do I roll back to version 1.0?

I think you have to set the Left difficulty switch to B position for the latest update to hear the bird cries. A for original firmware. The difficulty switches were reversed before the latest update.

Edited by shane857

I have found a minor issue with super cobra. The colour switch is supposed to pause the game . It does nothing, My version is PAL.

I didn't own the game to test it on the original firmware so I'm guessing an emulation issue? Anyone else experience this? PAL/NTSC 🤔

27 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I have found a minor issue with super cobra. The colour switch is supposed to pause the game . It does nothing, My version is PAL.

I didn't own the game to test it on the original firmware so I'm guessing an emulation issue? Anyone else experience this? PAL/NTSC 🤔

I have the NTSC version of Super Cobra and the Color/B-W switch does pause the game. I’m using the latest firmware. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vebxenon said:

I'm really impressed with this update. Now I can run all my cartridges for Atari 7800 😃 (All of them PAL, including three homebrews) all the cartridges I have for Atari 2600 (most of them PAL), except Pick'n Pile which is not well displayed. Thanks very much!!

PS: And yes, I've tested Smurf, I have a Spanish copy, and it works very well 😊

Yes, all games work, which is great😊

But I have an issue with the color palette for Commando and Galaga PAL.

The brown ground in Commando gets a green touch and the green fighters in Galaga a yellow touch on V1.1 Rev2.

I guess the change of the color palette for Xevious PAL caused it?

Xevious had the wrong colors on V1.0 and V1.1 Rev1. It was brown but not green.

The situation for Xevious improved a lot by the new palette (please scroll up a bit to see some pictures). But some other games like Commando and Galaga had better colors before the change.

Hope it can be reverted back and only Xevious gets different color palette🤔

Did you notice something similar?

Edited by DEANJIMMY

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

did you test this function on original hardware, stella dosen't pause this game in the PAL version

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yes, all games work, which is great😊

But I have an issue with the color palette for Commando and Galaga PAL.

The brown ground in Commando gets a green touch and the green fighters in Galaga a yellow touch on V1.1 Rev2.

I guess the change of the color palette for Xevious PAL caused it?

Xevious had the wrong colors on V1.0 and V1.1 Rev1. It was brown but not green.

The situation for Xevious improved a lot by the new palette (please scroll up a bit to see some pictures). But some other games like Commando and Galaga had better colors before the change.

Hope it can be reverted back and only Xevious gets different color palette🤔

Did you notice something similar?

Receiving some differing views on the PAL palette implementation, so let's take a poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1