IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

2 hours ago, swiller said:

Has anyone noticed a weird line on the chopper in River Raid?  I thought it was my cart but the same thing happens on a second cart

Weird line?  Can you post a photo?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, itsphillip said:

interesting, using the following files:

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe

update-012324.img

DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip

RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip

Those are the correct ones, right?

Thanks!

For the most part, yes. In my case, I’m running the experimental rev 2 update for the firmware, so I don’t know if that is making a difference or not. I can always attempt to roll it back to the 01234 image and see if I can replicate it.

6 hours ago, Laladien said:

For the most part, yes. In my case, I’m running the experimental rev 2 update for the firmware, so I don’t know if that is making a difference or not. I can always attempt to roll it back to the 01234 image and see if I can replicate it.

R2 did not fix Medieval Mayhem for me, did it for you? I'm so disappointed it's not working since the original firmware. We tried to play the other day and had to revert back to Warlords.

I'm on Dumper 1.1.09, is that still the latest? If not where can I find the update?

Edited by TornadoTJ

22 hours ago, LS650 said:

Weird line?  Can you post a photo?

Thanks for asking. My local game place had 2 copies of River Raid. Got this same blue line in choppers. But my bad that may be intentional it just matches the water!

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6947.jpg

Edited by swiller

1 hour ago, TornadoTJ said:

R2 did not fix Medieval Mayhem for me, did it for you? I'm so disappointed it's not working since the original firmware. We tried to play the other day and had to revert back to Warlords.

I'm on Dumper 1.1.09, is that still the latest? If not where can I find the update?

The dumper ending in .09 is the current one and yeah, it’s likely the issue. I’m sure they’re working towards a fix, but they certainly have their hands full! :)

6 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

So, are we ever going to get an official release, or is this "Beta" the only planned way to update the firmware of the 2600+?

I suspect there will be one more beta, then an official release in time for the May releases. 

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

@Ben from Plaion

Are there any plans to add support for the Atari CX21 Video Touch Pad?  I do hope that support for it is added by the time this firmware update receives an official release so that Star Raiders is properly playable.

+1 to this.  There are several games we can’t use because of the lack of support 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

What other games (including homebrew) use the CX21 Touch Pad?

The cx21 is functionally the same as the kids controller (which includes several Sesame Street games released by Atari) and the keyboard controller (again used by several early Atari games). That entire class of games cannot be played on the 2600+

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

What other games (including homebrew) use the CX21 Touch Pad?

A Game of Concentration
BASIC Programming
Brain Games
Codebreaker
Hunt & Score

Alpha Beam with Ernie
Big Bird's Egg Catch
Cookie Monster Munch
Grover's Music Maker
Monstercise
Oscar's Trash Race
Peek-a-Boo

Think there was an unreleased prototype Holey Moley that supported it also. 🤔

• Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 10:15 PM, Tidus79001 said:

@Ben from Plaion

Are there any plans to add support for the Atari CX21 Video Touch Pad?  I do hope that support for it is added by the time this firmware update receives an official release so that Star Raiders is properly playable.

I almost put off purchasing Star Raiders because I figured it was a shoe-in for some kind of re-release. Omitting compatibility is a major oversight for this game alone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I almost put off purchasing Star Raiders because I figured it was a shoe-in for some kind of re-release. Omitting compatibility is a major oversight for this game alone.

I suppose somebody could hack Star Raiders use the right joystick to use inputs. I believe that game used five buttons on the pad. Maybe it’s dumb idea.

1 hour ago, Bakasama said:

I suppose somebody could hack Star Raiders use the right joystick to use inputs. I believe that game used five buttons on the pad. Maybe it’s dumb idea.

It did, though you should only need the galactic map and hyperwarp buttons to make it playable. I can play it on Evercade and in two other compilations on my PlayStation, in addition to the Atari comp I have on my iPad and my Flashback portable. The idea with the 2600+ is the nostalgia of using the original carts with original controls. To my mind every official peripheral should be supported 😊

Only thing left waiting for on my end is dumper fixes for the Coleco Atari games that need it, like the various white cart revisions of Smurf and Zaxxon, since it's a lottery right now to buy the right one by chance that currently dumps correctly.

I already bought one that doesn't dump correctly, and would rather not keep gambling until I get the exact one initially tested for compatibility in the release chart.

Also Pitfall II and Popeye, but I understand they have sound chips to work around, and I don't own either of those yet anyway.

1 minute ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Only thing left waiting for on my end is dumper fixes for the Coleco Atari games that need it, like the various white cart revisions of Smurf and Zaxxon, since it's a lottery right now to buy the right one by chance that currently dumps correctly.

I already bought one that doesn't dump correctly, and would rather not keep gambling until I get the exact one initially tested for compatibility in the release chart.

Also Pitfall II and Popeye, but I understand they have sound chips to work around, and I don't own either of those yet anyway.

Coleco games will be getting looked at next week or so. There might be fixes for them soon.🤞🏼 

What version of Popeye are you talking about? The Parker bros 2600 cart works for me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Coleco games will be getting looked at next week or so. There might be fixes for them soon.🤞🏼 

What version of Popeye are you talking about? The Parker bros 2600 cart works for me. 

Possibly misunderstood then. I saw that it didn't. Speaking of Parker Bros., maybe Super Cobra and a few of those that also seem bunko (unless they're fixed too and I haven't paid attention).

1 hour ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Possibly misunderstood then. I saw that it didn't. Speaking of Parker Bros., maybe Super Cobra and a few of those that also seem bunko (unless they're fixed too and I haven't paid attention).

Every one of my Parker brothers games with the exception of James Bond 007 works with the beta build on my system. 

IMG_3997.jpeg

• Like 4

This is probably totally unrelated but I'm sure someone knows the game better than me. Dodge Em' - I was finding it hard when I first got the 2600+. The opponent seems to start in a random track. Then after the first beta update I played again and started to learn the pattern and got pretty good at it, well at least managed to complete the course to the point there are two opponents. Now going back to it after the latest beta update it seems hard again. Like the opponent has a random start place but was not random after the first update? Perhaps I'm imagining it?