IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

2 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

I think Parallels might offer a free trial period, but it's silly to use up a trial period now on the beta firmware and then be unable to install the final firmware later because the trial is over. I wouldn't recommend that.

True.  My recommendation was to try out the software before buying it.

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

True.  My recommendation was to try out the software before buying it.

The firmware update doesn't work using Parallels on any current Mac as it uses the Arm version of Windows. It only works on old Intel-based Macs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

The firmware update doesn't work using Parallels on any current Mac as it uses the Arm version of Windows. It only works on old Intel-based Macs.

How about qemu?

24 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

How about qemu?

I've never tried QEMU as it seems quite complicated, but I suspect it would have the same issue. Any current Mac with Apple silicon can only run Arm-based software, and the firmware update doesn't have compatible drivers.

I got a cheap PC just for the firmware updates. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect there won't be any straightforward Mac compatible upgrade process any time soon (if ever).

Just now, infinite.pies said:

I've never tried QEMU as it seems quite complicated, but I suspect it would have the same issue. Any current Mac with Apple silicon can only run Arm-based software, and the firmware update doesn't have compatible drivers.

It can be complicated.  However, there are a few good tutorials out there.  I used qemu to run ARM on x64, so I assumed it can do the reverse.  A quick glance around and it appears the running x64 on ARM is possible, but with the expected performance penalties.

4 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

I got a cheap PC just for the firmware updates.

The best way to go, I think.

4 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect there won't be any straightforward Mac compatible upgrade process any time soon (if ever).

While I have no horse in this race, at least for the beta a Windows-only update client is fine.  But, once the firmware updates are out of beta, a more universal update method is appropriate.  A stand-alone update process will be an issue given the single USB port.  I hazard the demographic adoption of the 2600+ mirrors that of OS market share, so the current method is preventing 16% of owners from updating.

As an entrepreneur, I see a niche market service: send me* your 2600+ and I* will update it for you.

* Not me... I ain't doing it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have played on Smurfs, worked perfect. I believe there is different revision of the cart and it doesnt work. I highly suspect this will be resolved in the next firmware/dumper update. Thanks

Thank you for the response!

Some folks (not here) suggested to keep buying and flipping until I got the one you guys had working at launch... but that kind of catch and release gamble seems extreme.

6 hours ago, ich said:

Hello, Does anyone have experience with the internal USB socket in the Atari 2600+ Can you expand the console here to be able to play ROMs? Would be really cool.

Atari 2600+ Innen.jpg

Just use the retron 77 or pc or other infinite devices to play roms...

7 hours ago, ich said:

Hello, Does anyone have experience with the internal USB socket in the Atari 2600+ Can you expand the console here to be able to play ROMs? Would be really cool.

People have done it, but its not exactly simple and it doesn't seem to be worth the headache when you probably already have access to other ways to play ROMs.

7 hours ago, ich said:

Atari 2600+ Innen.jpg

Please check the other 2600+ threads... there they discuss such things...

Hardware... hacked... load USB Rom... 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:47 PM, infinite.pies said:

That's what I use too. A cheap Windows mini PC, as I normally use an M1 Mac Mini. It works quite well for it.

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

That's what I use too. A cheap Windows mini PC, as I normally use an M1 Mac Mini. It works quite well for it.

I still have a 2013 Mac Pro - I just dual boot Windows and it works great for that. And playing a video game or two.. ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 8:26 PM, LS650 said:

No word on an official (or unofficial) firmware update.

No word on if there will be a Mac-based update.

...And Linux.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:01 AM, sonicofan said:

They all work fine, but I noticed an issue with Baby Pac-Man.  The standard RX-40 controller should control the pinball flippers by pushing left/right on the stick, but pushing right does nothing.  On the other hand, the game plays fine with a 7800 Proline stick, using the left and right buttons for the flippers.

I've noticed this issue as well.  @Ben from Plaion mentioned in another thread that they are looking into ways to update the hardware that handles controller input.  (It's separate from the dumper and the main CPU.)  If they can, I'm sure issues like this as well as better peripheral support will be addressed.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:09 PM, infinite.pies said:

The ARM version of windows has a very capable x86/64 emulation layer built in, so many Intel programs work nicely on my M1 Air with Windows 10 ARM.

6 hours ago, larsvonhier said:

The ARM version of windows has a very capable x86/64 emulation layer built in, so many Intel programs work nicely on my M1 Air with Windows 10 ARM.

I couldn't get the firmware update to work on my M1 Mac - it wouldn't install the drivers, so it couldn't even see the 2600+.

Have you been able to make it work?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:47 PM, infinite.pies said:

How much is a "cheap PC"? Even $100 seems too much to pay just to update the firmware on the 2600+. It would almost double the cost of the system. And I suppose one would need a monitor too...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glorkbot said:

How much is a "cheap PC"? Even $100 seems too much to pay just to update the firmware on the 2600+. It would almost double the cost of the system. And I suppose one would need a monitor too...

I agree that it really shouldn't be necessary.

This is the first time in more than 5 years that I've needed a PC for anything - it's extremely rare to find something that can't be done on a Mac these days.

I personally think the firmware update process is the biggest problem for the 2600+. Even with a PC it's a bit of a clumsy process - I don't think it was really considered when it was being designed. But it is what it is. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and hopefully, there will be lessons learned for future projects.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

I couldn't get the firmware update to work on my M1 Mac - it wouldn't install the drivers, so it couldn't even see the 2600+.

Have you been able to make it work?

Have to admit, I did not try yet. We just used all sorts of USB->serial adapters and drivers on M1 under windows (ARM) in our office to drive/access/update various embedded boards.

18 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

In regards to a monitor, any modern TV would have HDMI connectors. No need buy something new for something we're not really talking about as a main working computer.

Edited by NicodemusLegend

10 hours ago, larsvonhier said:

Have to admit, I did not try yet. We just used all sorts of USB->serial adapters and drivers on M1 under windows (ARM) in our office to drive/access/update various embedded boards.

The problem seems to be that the drivers aren’t compatible with Arm Windows. Without the drivers, Windows on the Mac doesn’t see the 2600+, so the firmware update doesn’t work.