IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

@Ben from Plaion - I've installed the most recent updates.. but still see a lag with paddle games.. it wasn't until I compared notes with a redditor that I found the problem... The input signals from the paddle controllers are being digitally sampled which gives you a finite number of positions on the screen.  I'm trying to play circus Atari on a 2600+ and it's incredibly difficult. You can count the number of steps it takes to get the springboard from one end of the screen to the other. 39 in total. On a regular 2600 it's many times that. Trying to finesse the paddle controller on any 2600+ game is going to be futile.  Is there any way the number of samples on the paddle can be increased? Breakout is just as bad if not worse. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daorriss said:

@Ben from Plaion - I've installed the most recent updates.. but still see a lag with paddle games.. it wasn't until I compared notes with a redditor that I found the problem... The input signals from the paddle controllers are being digitally sampled which gives you a finite number of positions on the screen.  I'm trying to play circus Atari on a 2600+ and it's incredibly difficult. You can count the number of steps it takes to get the springboard from one end of the screen to the other. 39 in total. On a regular 2600 it's many times that. Trying to finesse the paddle controller on any 2600+ game is going to be futile.  Is there any way the number of samples on the paddle can be increased? Breakout is just as bad if not worse. 

We are looking into the paddles stepping at the moment. Thanks for posting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I'm trying to install this update, but I can't seem to get my PC to recognize my 2600+. I can flash the dumper chip just fine, but the step after that I can't seem to get to work, specifically the "Emulator Part 1" step.
I know I have the switches on the console itself correct, could it be a problem with my PC?

23 minutes ago, Fiery3579 said:

I'm trying to install this update, but I can't seem to get my PC to recognize my 2600+. I can flash the dumper chip just fine, but the step after that I can't seem to get to work, specifically the "Emulator Part 1" step.
I know I have the switches on the console itself correct, could it be a problem with my PC?

Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We are looking into the paddles stepping at the moment. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully it's fixable. Paddle games are a huge part of the 2600 experience. I haven't been following closely but has paddle support for 7800 games been addressed, for example super circus atariage?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TurboWesties said:

Any idea how far off we are from the next firmware update?

Also, I was wondering are these the "official" firmware updates.  I thought these were "testers" and there was going to be a more official firmware update available on the Atari website.  Also, will the process get streamlined at all?

I am having issues updating to the newest firmware update.  I followed all the steps for the first update and everything seemed to work fine until I get to the point of flashing the firmware in the last step.  I open the RKDevTool.exe and it says Found one MASKROM device.  I click on the upgrade firmware button and then the firmware button as the instructions say. I open file update - 012324 but nothing shows up in the white box on the right of the screen.  In the device manager it shows Rockusb device and driver is 5.12...here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

image.thumb.png.7c0e7f1e77e1a6d415e703be68a61f27.png

Edited by Bwayne32

23 minutes ago, TurboWesties said:

Would be nice if this next one had updates for the paddles, harmony/concerto carts, Champ’s games etc

i know it’s a process but I’m hopeful we will get there

lol.

thr paddles are something they are working on. 

harmony/concerto loading from the SD card won’t work with this device, period. 

same with Champ games that have ARM chips.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:44 PM, MrChickenz said:

Same thing happened to me! Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0. When I had device manager open I could see it detect and disappear intermittently.

OK Thanks so much for the response I tried that and still nothing shows up. I think I may have gotten it to install via the .exe file, I am not too sure. When I have my system plugged into the computer the ROCKSUB shows up under devices and printers, but never under the device manager.  When in devices and printers I can go under advanced, but the update driver is grayed out, but it does show a driver date of April 2022. Should this be the correct one?  I have no idea. This is so frustrating :(

40 minutes ago, Bwayne32 said:

I am having issues updating to the newest firmware update.  I followed all the steps for the first update and everything seemed to work fine until I get to the point of flashing the firmware in the last step.  I open the RKDevTool.exe and it says Found one MASKROM device.  I click on the upgrade firmware button and then the firmware button as the instructions say. I open file update - 012324 but nothing shows up in the white box on the right of the screen.  In the device manager it shows Rockusb device and driver is 5.12...here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

There seems to just be some kind of font display issue between rkdevtool and your windows system. If you have another windows system, try that. If not, I'd personally just do it blind, and hit "Upgrade" button. You should immediately hear more beeps as the device gets reset and then you can wait another 2 or 3 minutes.

The nice thing about the 2600+ is the emulator firmware update gets done in MASKROM mode (a bare-metal bootloader baked into the chip) so you can't hard-brick it with an update. If it fails and the console has problems, you can repeat the process.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

lol.

thr paddles are something they are working on. 

harmony/concerto loading from the SD card won’t work with this device, period. 

same with Champ games that have ARM chips.

Would be nice if I could at least play some of the major titles for the 2600 like Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, H.E.R.O and some others that are lagging and or disappearing sprites!

2 hours ago, Bwayne32 said:

image.thumb.png.7c0e7f1e77e1a6d415e703be68a61f27.png

You then have to click Upgrade button one more time.

5 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Would be nice if I could at least play some of the major titles for the 2600 like Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, H.E.R.O and some others that are lagging and or disappearing sprites!

It's odd, those games play just fine on my Plus.  Clearly there must be more than one version of the Plus.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:06 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Same

I tried installing the driver update several times via device manager, but still nothing shows up. I've even used different USB 2 and 3 ports, still nothing. I think I may have gotten it to install via the .exe file, I am not too sure. When I have my system plugged into the computer the ROCKSUB shows up under devices and printers, but never under the device manager.  When in devices and printers I can go under advanced, but the update driver is grayed out, but it does show a driver date of April 2022. Should this be the correct one?  I have no idea. This is so frustrating :(  When I turn on my 2600+ I see version 1.1 and underneath that it says Stella 6.7 Is this correct? I'm so lost :( 

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

There seems to just be some kind of font display issue between rkdevtool and your windows system. If you have another windows system, try that. If not, I'd personally just do it blind, and hit "Upgrade" button. You should immediately hear more beeps as the device gets reset and then you can wait another 2 or 3 minutes.

The nice thing about the 2600+ is the emulator firmware update gets done in MASKROM mode (a bare-metal bootloader baked into the chip) so you can't hard-brick it with an update. If it fails and the console has problems, you can repeat the process.

Thanks for the help, I followed your advice and everything seemed to work.  It says it updated and when I plug a game in and turned it on it says ver. 1.1 stella 1.67 in the bottom right. I am just now having problems with jr. pacman.  It is not wanting to load every time now.  I will give it a good cleaning again and go from there.  Everything else I threw at it seemed to play great though.

• Like 1